• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Internet Explorer help

39 posts in this topic

Win 98 was amazing for its time for gaming and I still use xp on my main sytem with windows 7 beta on my testing computer. I have had everyone for the most part stay away from Vista that I build computer for unless they bought a laptop bundled with Vista. The industry for the most part hated Vista so thus this new Windows 7 is suppose to be "the peoples opertaing system" since its suppose to be built around our feedback. I think that is why it has such a Mac feel to it.

These are the things I have seen so far from using Windows 7.

- I installed it on a older system and Windows 7 runs faster on the benchmarks then Windows XP which was surprising to me.

- My sound card using default drivers functions better then the creative drivers that where flakey.

- The Os installed all drivers except the sound card driver which when using the option to install from internet source actually worked unlike XP and Vista

- some navigation has changed but the search function helps you find the programs easily. had issue finding system restore for some reason but found it thru search function

- The new backup utility is so amazingly user frendly its shocking (not talking system restore but an actual backup utility)

- some widgets are useful and with ie 8 and webslices that function is pretty handy

- abilty to clean up the desktiop of windows and restoring them back to desktop is lightning quick

- start menu that is fully customizable with pinups along with organziation of desktop is nice

That only some of the stuff but what i felt was relevent. Installation was amazingly simple other then the fact they need to label the drives better when doing the install which they said is in the works for final release.

FWIW,

which is probably not much at this point, but I fixed someone's computer with the identical problem about a yr or two ago. About the only specifics I recall, was that it was a pain in the spoon, and it had nothing to do with DNS error (it was more like a generic message masking the true problem).

It could have been reinstalling a driver or something. But I found the solution somewhere on google by searching for that message.

At least try these options under command consol (start/run) I pulled off a forum that pointed to corrupt winsock.

Try ipconfig /release

Or ipconfig /releaseall

then ipconfig /renew

then ipconfig /all

sounds vaguely familiar. And I recall they eventually helped point to the problem.

-------------------------------------------

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-support/7015-can-t-connect-internet-no-virus-dns-error-tcp.html

Could be the winsock is damaged.

If using XP:

Go to -

Start>Run>

type:

cmd

[enter]

then type:

netsh winsock reset catalog

[enter]

(You'll be prompted to reboot after this.)

To repair or reset Winsock in Vista:

1. Start Orb>Search box>

type:

cmd.exe

[enter]

2. When cmd.exe appears in the Results above, right-click it and choose "Run as administrator". Supply authentication in answer to UAC prompts and you'll get the command prompt box. At the command prompt, type:

netsh winsock reset

[enter]

When the command is completed successfully, a confirmation appears followed by a new command prompt.

Type:

exit

[enter]

(You may or may not have to reboot.)

FWIW,

which is probably not much at this point, but I fixed someone's computer with the identical problem about a yr or two ago. About the only specifics I recall, was that it was a pain in the spoon, and it had nothing to do with DNS error (it was more like a generic message masking the true problem).

It could have been reinstalling a driver or something. But I found the solution somewhere on google by searching for that message.

Could have been one of these options under command consol (start/run) I pulled off a forum that pointed to corrupt winsock.

Try ipconfig /release

Or ipconfig /releaseall

then ipconfig /renew

then ipconfig /all

sounds vaguely familiar

-------------------------------------------

http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-support/windows-xp-support/7015-can-t-connect-internet-no-virus-dns-error-tcp.html

In the future, just use ipconfig /registerdns

That basically does the same thing as releasing the IP address and getting a new one from the DHCP server. It also refreshes the DNS but DOES NOT flush the cache.

ipconfig /flushdns is what you do then.

I knew about the ipconfig commands for releasing and reestablishing, but I just learned a new command. Thank you!

DNS caching was probably the main problem with the boards this past week. CGC moved its messageboards (or changed the IP address apparently), and the change didn't propagate throughout the DNS system as anticipated.

So in cases like those, it's not necessary to get a new IP address locally. It's easier to just flush the DNS cache locally to make sure you have the new IP address. (Your machine will query its local DNS cache before it asks its DNS server.)

This, of course, is all predicated on the upstream DNS server getting the right answer to its recursive query :grin:

This, of course, is all predicated on the upstream DNS server getting the right answer to its recursive query :grin:

Although I deal quite a bit with servers, storage, load balancers, firewalls, it is amazing what I learn about the basic network structure and how change control planning becomes a killer because of the simple things.

Sounds like a 9.8 to me. Thanks again!

If AOL works fine it seems you have an OK networkl connection.

Try copy/pasting these URLs into your browser: Just from "http" onward Or maybe just clicking on the links if they link.

google http://74.125.45.100/

yahoo http://206.190.60.37

If they work then your ISP may be having problems with threir DNS servers.

Gimme specifics.

Are you using a router connected to a modem? What brand(s), etc?

Is it a wireless connection?

Have you tried using the repair connection option network settings?

The router is a ARRIS

It is not wireless

I may have already tried the third option.

That basically does the same thing as releasing the IP address and getting a new one from the DHCP server. It also refreshes the DNS but DOES NOT flush the cache.

Where do I do this ?

Where do I do this ?

START

RUN

CMD.exe

(Will bring up the Command Shell which looks like a DOS shell.)

(In Vista, just type it in to the field. They don't use "Run" anymore."

Where do I do this ?

START

RUN

CMD.exe

(Will bring up the Command Shell which looks like a DOS shell.)

(In Vista, just type it in to the field. They don't use "Run" anymore."

Didnt work? I did what you said. But the same problem still.