• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I know Avengers are hot, but...

83 posts in this topic

Well...thanks for the several e-mails about this thread...I think

I do agree that buying this book was probably not cost-effective or whatever. But I didn't buy it to flip or anything, my son will inherit it in 30 years or so. :angel:

And I am a dedicated Avengers fan and am slowly trying to amass a complete run (though this New, Mighty, Dark, three different covers for every issue is getting out of hand). I certainly like dedicated more than pathological. (thumbs u

And, as someone astutely stated, I thought it would be cool to own a 10.0 Avenger for my run (I've got a bunch of 9.9s but no 10). And, after you've paid what would buy a really nice car for a single comic, $800 bucks doesn't seem too bad. doh!

And I don't need an AF 15 cgc 2.0, I've got a nice copy. :applause:

And I don't need a xbox 360,Wii or PS3. Between my kids, there's all of these in the house, multiple times. :headbang:

And perhaps cooper cgc 10s are just waiting to fall out of trees, but I don't see it and don't care (and, if another shows up, I'll bid on it to get my cost basis down). :devil:

As far as money goes, all I expect is to break even overall. And, basically, by making money on bronze but losing money on coppers and moderns, I've done just that (though I would have lost my shirt for the first six months I bought stuff if not for some incredible luck). :acclaim:

here4now/pastimperfekt

PS: thanks to Wrightson Fan (who I highly recommend as a seller and all-around good guy) and cheetah for sticking up for me. Takes a dedicated Avengers fan to know one.

:baiting:

Well said,

After setting several GPA highs myself, I have felt these same thoughts.

As an older collector, the one thing that I have seen over and over is that the passionate collector who puts together a real collection normally does better financially than the speculator.

I have also never known a collector who puts together a real collection of anything who didn't "overpay" for part of it. The really interesting thing is that some of the "overpaid for" books become bargains in hindsight. For a certainty, many of the best books that I own, I overpaid for. I will give you one example using an Avengers book. I spent $1858 for an Avengers 4 a couple of years ago. I had always wanted a nice copy and I love double covers so when the opportunity for a double cover Avengers 4 presented itself, I went for it. GPA at that time for an 8.0 was around $1100 bucks. How do you value the book? I wanted the book and was willing to spend $25 more than then underbidder who I don't think was a shill. The price was a GPA high. Until another double cover 8.0 is found, certified and sold it will probably remain the GPA high. The book is a keeper for me, so I am not planning on selling. The last sale of an Avengers 4 8.0 was $2400 in February of this year.

My advice, because it has always served me well. Buy what you enjoy. Have fun. Buy what you understand. Buy what you can afford.

Andrew-

Thanks for apology though it wasn't necessary. Free speech is a good thing.

Comicopolis-

I agree. The best thing about the cover is the She-Hulk lol

canickus-

I couldn't agree with you more. When my son moved in and I got back into collecting three or four years ago, I concentrated on getting back what I loved as a kid. It's worked out well. Early on, I bought a Avengers 9 cgc 9.0 white (in a Comiclink Auction, I think) for just under $1500 if I remember correctly. I always liked the cover and remember the Simon Williams/Wonder Man rebirth in the 150s with great affection (Buscema, Perez and then Byrne, oh yah).

In any case, the price was way the hell over guide. I bid crazy because I wanted it (and still barely won it) and, quite frankly, because I had no idea about GPA at the time. Later, after getting e-mails that I was getting trashed on the boards, I read through all the posts about me (and decided I never wanted to join lol the boards) and also noticed some posts making fun of my Avengers 9 purchase (though no one knew it was me).

The posts articulated what a lame hero Wonder Man is and that only a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person would have bid what I did (though I must agree with the posters that Don Heck was not the, shall we say, best artist ever to work on the Avengers).

Well, I look at my Avengers 9 which is beautiful and white and I will bet would press up to a 9.2 easy or maybe even a 9.4 if I ever went to sell it (which I would only do if I somehow got a better copy) and then I note that an obviously pressed Avengers 9.2 off-white that is no where near as pretty as my copy just went for $7000+ and I can't help but laugh.

Buy what you love and be rewarded indeed.

I like Wonder Man. And I've also started to begrudgingly respect Don Heck's work on the Avengers. (I'm still a Buscema man, though.)

And I've also resigned myself to not owning a #9 in 9.x grade - at least not in the foreseeable future. I had a number of opportunities to buy a 9.0 or 9.2 copy in early 1997 but I bought other issues instead.

Nice pickup on your #9, H4N. If you upgrade and want to sell the 9.0, let me know!