• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can anyone recommend a fair comic dealer?

46 posts in this topic

Hi All. I've recently picked up some raw, high grade SA books from both Chris Foss at Heroes and Dragons, and Robert Beerbohm at BLB Comics. I believe I picked up each of these raw books at fair prices, and have some other SA books on my "want list" that I'd like to purchase.

So can anyone recommend some other trustworthy comic dealers who have fair prices on raw, high grade comics? I'm leaning towards picking up raw books since the same books slabbed can be much more expensive. :P

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. :grin:

Well, you'll find that even raw books will fecth high prices if they are hot, rare or key. A few dealers that I find to be fair and honest would be Richard Evans (Bedrock City), Joe Verenault (JHV and Associates), Harley Yee, Stephen Ritter (Worldwide Comics), Bob Storms (High Grade Comics)...there are plenty of others but those come to mind. There are also dealers that I would not deal with due to bad experiences....Metropolis Comics being one of them.

Hey, thanks for all of the quick replies everyone! This gives me several places to start looking. (thumbs u

If anyone else has any other suggestions, keep 'em coming. I usually do lots-o-research and like to compare vendors/prices before pulling the trigger on a big purchase. hm

Well, you'll find that even raw books will fecth high prices if they are hot, rare or key. A few dealers that I find to be fair and honest would be Richard Evans (Bedrock City), Joe Verenault (JHV and Associates), Harley Yee, Stephen Ritter (Worldwide Comics), Bob Storms (High Grade Comics)...there are plenty of others but those come to mind. There are also dealers that I would not deal with due to bad experiences....Metropolis Comics being one of them.

I'd agree... and you'd absolutely have to add Jim Payette to the list.

I would give Metro a shot, but these days, I can't endorse them the way I used to. You should judge for yourself though.

So can anyone recommend some other trustworthy comic dealers who have fair prices on raw, high grade comics? I'm leaning towards picking up raw books since the same books slabbed can be much more expensive.

Listen carefully...

74283.jpg.36a5b7b42d5fe3c3d75247e0caee72e8.jpg

So can anyone recommend some other trustworthy comic dealers who have fair prices on raw, high grade comics? I'm leaning towards picking up raw books since the same books slabbed can be much more expensive.

Listen carefully...

no volume... (shrug)

Listen carefully...

no volume... (shrug)

That's the point of my half-hassed comment, we're on a forum.

Listen carefully...

no volume... (shrug)

That's the point of my half-hassed comment, we're on a forum.

Does that mean we can't be objective?

So before this thread gets too far de-railed (although it might be too late for that already).... meh

-- I've searched through some of the dealer's websites, but aren't finding alot of high grade copies of books I'm looking for. Guessing that the raw high grade books move fast, or are sent to online auction websites.

-- So, if I want a dealer to help me find some specific books, but I don't currently have a rapport established with that dealer, what incentive do they have to look for a specific book for me? I'm sure dealers get requests all the time from buyers who aren't serious about making a purchase.

I'm asking this because I called or e-mailed a couple of well known dealers with my want list a month ago, but haven't heard back from either of them. :mad:

My guess is I've fallen off their radars.

Some dealers are better at email communication than others.

You should make a point of visiting a few cons if that is an option and start a rapport. They will remember you if you are a serious buyer.

Some websites have a want list option and that might work for you too.

Like I said though, the better dealers know which books are hot and what they can get for them.

The people I've mentioned are honest and trust worthy to my experience. If I've forgotten anyone it's only because they don't come to mind right now but there are others...

Terry's Comics, Dave Reynolds are another couple of great guys.

Dave Kapelka from Ohio (Northcoast Nostalgia) is fantastic to deal with...always nice books at fair prices.

Dale Roberts...honest and straight shooter.

Jerry Weist...just terrific customer service.

These are some of the better ones that I can remember.

R.

Thanks Roy. I really appreciate the help! :grin:

BTW, enjoyed your NYCC Report. That's a sweet MMC 9 you picked up at the show! :cloud9:

I've never been to any big cons, but am considering it. I just figured that if I can find the books I want through e-mails and phone calls, I'd prefer to do that. What I would pay for airfare and a room at one of the big cons might total the cost of a single high grade book I would have otherwise purchased. (shrug)

So for now, I've only been to the local Nashville Comic Con, which I'm sure pales in comparison to the biggies!

So before this thread gets too far de-railed (although it might be too late for that already).... meh

-- I've searched through some of the dealer's websites, but aren't finding alot of high grade copies of books I'm looking for. Guessing that the raw high grade books move fast, or are sent to online auction websites.

-- So, if I want a dealer to help me find some specific books, but I don't currently have a rapport established with that dealer, what incentive do they have to look for a specific book for me? I'm sure dealers get requests all the time from buyers who aren't serious about making a purchase.

I'm asking this because I called or e-mailed a couple of well known dealers with my want list a month ago, but haven't heard back from either of them. :mad:

My guess is I've fallen off their radars.

Have you tried posting your want list in the WTB forum? If noone here has the books.....I imagine someone will know where to find them. (thumbs u

Thanks Roy. I really appreciate the help! :grin:

BTW, enjoyed your NYCC Report. That's a sweet MMC 9 you picked up at the show! :cloud9:

I've never been to any big cons, but am considering it. I just figured that if I can find the books I want through e-mails and phone calls, I'd prefer to do that. What I would pay for airfare and a room at one of the big cons might total the cost of a single high grade book I would have otherwise purchased. (shrug)

So for now, I've only been to the local Nashville Comic Con, which I'm sure pales in comparison to the biggies!

Thanks for the kind words. I don't know of many dealers in your area but Dale Roberts is in Kentucky IIRC and he's a board member (with a few active sales threads as we speak in the selling forum). You might want to drop him a pm OR just visit a more local con that you can drive to...there's usually something within a couple of hours driving no matter where you live.

R.