• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 "Investments" of the 1990s - Looking Back

88 posts in this topic

Since Valiantman didn't put in a strong plug for them, I will. Valiants are a great investment right now. Most of the key/variant issues can be found for dirt cheap prices in stores or at cons ($0.25 - $1.00 apiece) and sell for $10+ on eBay. I think that these books have long term legs as well as a lot of college age kids from the early 90s (myself included) started out reading them. Unlike the 90s, it is mostly collectors who are buying the books now that they could not afford during the hype back then. If you want a great read, pick up the pre-unity issues as well as Barry Smith's Archer & Armstrong run.

There are much worse ways to spend your comic dollar, I'll give you that. But I think there's only so much of a market for defunct publishers. Especially ones that were in existence for such a brief, brief, period of time. Did they even make it five years? confused-smiley-013.gif

There are much worse ways to spend your comic dollar, I'll give you that. But I think there's only so much of a market for defunct publishers. Especially ones that were in existence for such a brief, brief, period of time. Did they even make it five years? confused-smiley-013.gif

1991 to 1996 as "Valiant" (even though they were sold to Acclaim in 1994)

1997 to 2000 there were Acclaim Comics using the Valiant titles

(but the characters were totally different, except for the names.)

Valiant 1991 to 1996 is a grand total of about 800 books,

or about 3 longboxes full. It's hard to collect Marvel or DC

because you immediately have to limit yourself to certain titles

from certain timeframes, if you're being at all realistic...

800 books that are recent enough to be found,

good enough to be read (especially the early ones),

and cheap enough to be collected 100%...

that's what makes the hobby fun, if you ask me.

I'd go nuts if I was trying to collect every appearance of

someone like Superman or Spider-man, even if it was 1990 - present.

Give me a solid goal and a clear finish line... and I'll get there.