• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 "Investments" of the 1990s - Looking Back

88 posts in this topic

Well, looking back now at the 1990s...

If we had to make a list like those in the front of Overstreet

for the "high-dollar" books from the decade, can anyone name

those Top 10 books and a good "raw NM" estimate (from Ebay, etc.)?

Limiting the books to just the 1990s,

I think we'll see Bone #1 and Cry for Dawn #1,

but what else (and what price) would be in the Top 10?

Are there any regular Marvel or DC books that would make the list?

Or would it just be variants like Platinum Superman #75 and Black Venom #1?

I do not know if it counts, but that X-O ½ someone posted about a few days ago seems to go for an insane price.

Ill have to give it some more thought. I know a few issues that might have some demand, but being in the top 10 is a different story.

Mcfarlane's Spiderman 1 Gold Newstand edition

Venom: The Lethal Protector 1 Black Foil variant

Danger Girl 1 Chromium "a-Go-Go" variant

Danger Girl 2 Smoking gun Cover variant with Ruby Red foil logo

Witchblade 1 Diamond Retailer Variant with Gold foil logo signed by Turner, Silvestri, and Christina Z

I have sold thirteen copies of this book over the years, and it doesn't seem to matter what happens (or doesn't happen) to the title. This book stays scalding hot... confused-smiley-013.gif

Witchblade 1 Diamond Retailer Variant with Gold foil logo signed by Turner, Silvestri, and Christina Z

mmmmm....... 9.8

venomblack1-98.jpgcloud9.gif

Well, looking back now at the 1990s...

If we had to make a list like those in the front of Overstreet

for the "high-dollar" books from the decade, can anyone name

those Top 10 books and a good "raw NM" estimate (from Ebay, etc.)?

Limiting the books to just the 1990s,

I think we'll see Bone #1 and Cry for Dawn #1,

but what else (and what price) would be in the Top 10?

Are there any regular Marvel or DC books that would make the list?

Or would it just be variants like Platinum Superman #75 and Black Venom #1?

by the way... i think cry for dawn #1 was from 89. 893naughty-thumb.gif

i think one book to watch is the (new) X-men #25. the removal of wolverines adamantium lays the groundwork for the bone claws and without those we would not have had many a cool cover nor "Origin" nor the all important "nabisco" variant!!

i think one book to watch is the (new) X-men #25.

Strangely, I stopped buying Moderns right before this book hit the shelves.... That's definitely a milestone is human evolution. grin.gif

so is the fact that i posted three variant cover pics in a row and not one person has blasted me about manufactured collectibles...

you guys are gettin soft sumo.gif

Hey Darth, what are the standard raw NM prices for these on Ebay?

by the way... i think cry for dawn #1 was from 89. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Dang it! That's why I specifically avoided ASM #300...

didn't want to get caught listing a late-80s book, but I did it anyway. blush.gif

thats why i stayed away from the crow series... started in 89 but ended in the 90's. does it count? it did have a movie and all popcorn.gif

I do not think there will be anything in the top 10 that us regular folks can get. I still do not have the Black #1 Venom and it is the only thing missing from my collection.

Hope this doesn’t come as a hijack, but how about some affordable LOOONG shots (but still wont be in any top 10)

ASM #161 – 1st Carnage. Way before the first Spiderman movie, they were trying to push out one that was based on the 1st Carnage series. I am willing to be that Marvel will run the movie series to the ground like DC did Batman. Chances are that Carnage winds up in one.

The Maxx – Comic readers were not ready for this book and had to of been too deep for Mtv viewers (Bevis and Butthead were big at the time for crips sake). Cartoon Network had asked its viewers what they wanted to be added to their adult swim. One of the most requested was The Maxx. If they get the rights, then it may have found the right home. There are enough copies around, but there is a Glow in the Dark cover and a ½ issue that was offered by Wizard. Both are cheap.

Ren and Stempy – Another highly requested series and I think new episodes are currently on another station. There is a big enough fanbase that people may want to look for these issues.

Spawn 2-4 – Low print runs (comparably). McFarlane is instant on pushing Spawn to be a media giant. No luck so far, but I do not see him giving up. It “might” happen with the new games and movies.

Kingdom Come – Was a huge hit and I think it will slowly raise in value.

Again…LONG shots.

... started in 89 but ended in the 90's. does it count? it did have a movie and all popcorn.gif

No... we're looking for comics actually published in the 1990s...

since so many around here are kind enough to point out that 99.999999% is sewage...

I'm looking to make a list of that other 0.000001% since they're

going to have to stand as the "spokesmen" of the decade for all time.

By the way, it's clear we'll need a Top 10 Variants and a Top 10 Regular Issues.

ASM #161 – 1st Carnage.

I'm sure you mean #361.

Spawn 2-4 – Low print runs (comparably).

Still about a million each, though... that's just... wrong. grin.gif

Again…LONG shots.

Very long shots for going up, dollarwise.