• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink...Truth and Fiction

113 posts in this topic

Only problem Mark is that if people have a position that "GPA is misleading on some sales" because a particular venue's data is missing, then there is an equal argument to be made for only "some" sales from a venue being reported, especially if those being reported are hand-picked. But I hear on this particular situation where the sales are for a complete lot (albeit from one seller). Not ideal.

It is not the ideal solution, but it is a solution and it may very well lead to a decision to report all, or almost all, data. Rejecting this data will only send a message to CL's customers that they should not impose the same condition as it won't make a difference. StalkingGoat's condition can make a difference.

The facts of this particular scenario make it clear that the choices were not selective. Perhaps you can add a note on the website somewhere explaining why only some CL data is included.

Josh just reported those sales via email. He knows through conversation that reporting only selected sales is not really an option for us. Hopefully he would be interested to report all sales soon.

This thread likely jogged his memory.... lol

what's the diff its an empty act anyways if he knew the information wouldn't be accepted

It's not the outcome that is cause for reflection.

Or, as esq puts it: 'funny how it works that way'.

I've just emailed Josh to see if can provide the auction number for each sale to facilitate in the categorization of the information. If so, then we're good to go.

(thumbs u

And to you StalkingGoat (thumbs u (thumbs u

More CL consignors should impose the same condition before they turn their books to CL, or to any dealer who doesn't report the info for that matter. I'm not trying to pick on CL.

The more information we all, as buyers or sellers, have access to of real time data, the more informed our decisions can be. People keep asking OSPG why they don't go online and have more recent sales data. Well, GPA is a hybrid of an online OSPG, and it needs the help of the comic community to ensure the information is as complete and accurate as possible. :gossip:

BTW, I'd be happy to report on just CL's auctions if Josh was ok with it (and leave out the bid-offer sales) which would mean zero work for Josh (other than letting us know if specific sales did not ultimately go through at auction end).

Josh just reported those sales via email. He knows through conversation that reporting only selected sales is not really an option for us. Hopefully he would be interested to report all sales soon.

Amazing how it always works that way. hmlol

George, I would definitely recommend you accept and process this data into the GPA system. I fully understand why you prefer not to accept only selected CL information but this is a different situation.

This is not Josh providing you the selected information that he, and only he, wants known. This was prompted by a seller - a customer of CL - who required this information to be transmitted to you (far in advance of the final figures so he had no idea what the numbers would be) as part of the condition of his consigning books to CL.

GPA should want to encourage this type of behavior from customers of CL. If it continues it may lead to ALL CL data being provided to GPA. That is a worthwhile objective. (thumbs u

With this being allowed now, he could potentially do that with any sales he wants to. That could lead to basically what he originally wanted by choosing the data he wants submitted and stating that the consignors had asked him to. No? :shrug:

Andy

George, I would definitely recommend you accept and process this data into the GPA system. I fully understand why you prefer not to accept only selected CL information but this is a different situation.

This is not Josh providing you the selected information that he, and only he, wants known. This was prompted by a seller - a customer of CL - who required this information to be transmitted to you (far in advance of the final figures so he had no idea what the numbers would be) as part of the condition of his consigning books to CL.

GPA should want to encourage this type of behavior from customers of CL. If it continues it may lead to ALL CL data being provided to GPA. That is a worthwhile objective. (thumbs u

With this being allowed now, he could potentially do that with any sales he wants to. That could lead to basically what he originally wanted by choosing the data he wants submitted and stating that the consignors had asked him to. No? :shrug:

Andy

On some level there will have to be a degree of trust regarding those who submit their data to GPA. There are a number of us who do submit sales data voluntarily (i.e., GPA does not data mine it). George has to take us at our word that we are submitting all, as well as accurate, data. I don't see why it would be any different with CL.

Of course, what would solve this is to announce upfront, if feasible, that such and such auction will have its sales data turned over when complete. Additionally, I'm sure it would be helpful if board members notified George in advance as well.

Just some thoughts off the top of my head.

Now that the January auction is well behind us I wanted to comment on my experience past and present. Comiclink gets a lot of praise, but they also get a number of unfair digs.

I sold my ASM collection through ComicLink, previously designated as the 5th highest rated collection on the Collectors Society site.

Prior to the sale, I went through the entire 200 or so comics and evaluated what I thought the collection would be worth. The number I came up with was about $216,000. A lot of these books don't sell often and the numbers were the best I could derive.

The final sale price totalled close to $240,000, a premium of over 33k. That was nearly a 15% premium to the estimated value and more than paid for the 10% that went to Josh.

Sorry, but being a professor by profession, I feel compelled to correct your math. If the final sale prices totalled $240,000, this was not 33K but rather 24K over your expected value. With 10% of sales going to Josh, the money you realized from the sale was ~216K, precisely your estimated value, and not above it.

Congrats on an excellent sale.

Auctions that refuse to disclose the identity of bidders run an increased risk of shill bidding. It's an issue with auctions on Comiclink, Heritage and Pedigree all.

Opinion:

If bidders had to use their real names (verified by mailing address upon registration), then these auctions, although not shill-proof, would be much less susceptible to shenanigan shilling.

Andy

On some level there will have to be a degree of trust regarding those who submit their data to GPA. There are a number of us who do submit sales data voluntarily (i.e., GPA does not data mine it). George has to take us at our word that we are submitting all, as well as accurate, data. I don't see why it would be any different with CL.

Of course, what would solve this is to announce upfront, if feasible, that such and such auction will have its sales data turned over when complete. Additionally, I'm sure it would be helpful if board members notified George in advance as well.

Okay, this makes perfect sense to me. (thumbs u

Auctions that refuse to disclose the identity of bidders run an increased risk of shill bidding. It's an issue with auctions on Comiclink, Heritage and Pedigree all.

Opinion:

If bidders had to use their real names (verified by mailing address upon registration), then these auctions, although not shill-proof, would be much less susceptible to shenanigan shilling.

:golfclap:

Andy

You sure do have a lot on your head :baiting::kidaround: All I have is hair and that is heading south for the winter as we speak. lol

Opinion:

Stop talking like you have knowledge of anything. Everything is puppies rainbows and happy. There is no shill bidding at C-Link, and we all love Metro. It IS a perfect world.

Wouldn't Josh reporting his sales to GPA actually HELP the hobby and his business from a monetary standpoint?

If GPA prices realized for some of these books in his auctions were subbed, wouldn't it be an overall even higher boost for the prices that some of these books are attaining?

Is there a particular reason why CL doesn't report GPA? Would it hurt their sales or their business model? hm

Shilling has been around forever in all facets of crime/dishonesty, and to think there are ways to stop it is ludicrous. Control it a bit? Surely, but to completely put an end to it...forget about it. Ain't gonna happen.

Shilling has been around forever in all facets of crime/dishonesty, and to think there are ways to stop it is ludicrous. Control it a bit? Surely, but to completely put an end to it...forget about it. Ain't gonna happen.

Pretty much. Now hurry up and ask why I dont bid on these live auctions/focused auctions/ etc..