• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is Michaels a good place to frame?

25 posts in this topic

I'm finally deciding to frame a piece of original art. I haven't framed anything in years, and when I did, all I needed was a simple frame so I went to Michaels. They did a fine job, but I'm wondering what you all think. Should I go pay a little more elsewhere, or do most Michaels have a good professional crew?

I'm finally deciding to frame a piece of original art. I haven't framed anything in years, and when I did, all I needed was a simple frame so I went to Michaels. They did a fine job, but I'm wondering what you all think. Should I go pay a little more elsewhere, or do most Michaels have a good professional crew?

Michaels can do a very good job, but as with any frame shop, you should ask them about their insurance and policy limits should something happen to your art while in their possession. Many places have a $1000 limit to damage. It is best to find this out before you hand out your personal grail.

Best,

C

As a personal rebuttal, I would say NO! Michaels/HobbyLobby/etc. should be avoided at all costs. Early on I took a few pieces to Hobby Lobby and paid for archival everything; when I eventually unframed these pieces they used simple packing cardboard from broken down boxes as backing boards. One of the pieces was even glued down to it after my express direction they use archival tape. I have heard similar reports from Michaels users. At least if you are going to use Michael's, don't have them frame anything I would ever want to buy. ;) Seriously though, this artwork is special enough that you find a good local framer who you can trust (and who has insurance) and will listen and implement your specific directions which in my opinion should include:

UV resistant glass

Corner Mounts

Archival backing boards and Mats

Archival tape if corner mounts are not possible

Quick turnaround time (the best insurance)

I personally have not had any problems with Michaels. But it could vary store to store im sure. I dont know if they have and standard practices that each shop uses, but i have never had them glue anything to the backing board. Their turnaround time is usually two weeks, give or take. As for the insurance, I never leave my art with them, they call me when they are ready for the art, and either frame it while I wait or over night, depending on when they call for the art (morning or afternoon).

I had a bad experience. On my Fear Agent print, they actually trimmed around the edges so it could better in the frame. Luckily it's only a print. So I go across the street to pro-framer. Sure, she is a bit more expensive, but it is worth it in the long run. $120 for frame, UV glass, proper mounting, matte, hooks, and the corner bumpers. Not too bad.

Thanks for the tips, guys. The OA I want to frame are commissions, but I'm more than willing to pay in the $200 range for a good frame job. From the sounds of it, I can get that at a professional shop, who will be a little more trustworthy.

Sorry, not recommended from my point-of-view.

When I brought a piece of OA in to be framed, the person behind the counter (admittedly, probably not the framer) was careless with the artwork, discussed trimming it to make it fit the frame, and nearly bent the piece!

I took it to a locally-owned framing store, talked with the guy that actually did the framing, and he discussed all of the materials to be used, how he'd treat the work -- the gloves were appreciated -- and he did a terrific job. He charged more than Michaels but the piece looks great.

Folks, my suggestion is to avoid Michaels.

But I can also suggest a place to buy archival frames

http://www.hollywoodposterframes.com/

Sue Heim will cut frames to size.

they offer non-archival and archival materials and Sue does all the framing for the Academy of Motion Picture Sciences (the Oscars)

all of my movie posters are framed with her materials (at least those that are framed)

she is a wonderful person. prices are fair & she ships anywhere

Well I guess I should preface that the Michaels near me has a framing department run by a comic book artist from the 80's who loves OA more than life itself.

He's so careful and respectful with the pieces I give him that I guess I am just spoiled.

C

Obviously, if you have a top tier piece, the options discussed above are great. I almost had a piece framed by Michaels, but talking to the guy made me nervous. I have bought a couple frames from Frame it Again Sam and they are a great option if you have some OA that will be displayed out of direct sun, and the frames are great because they allow for OA rotation easily.

... The OA I want to frame are commissions, but I'm more than willing to pay in the $200 range for a good frame job.

When it comes to framing I'm the opposite. I have a framing budget based on the cost of the item, and I like to keep it around 10%. If a sketch or commission cost me under $200, I wouldn't even bother or just throw it in a cheap frame.

It doesn't make sense to me to spend $300 framing a $75 page. Futher, being production art with paste ups and white out and pieces of the paper cut away as artists pile them and throw them in boxes and spill ink or coffee or lunch on the pages. A little bit of sunlight, a bit of acid in the matte -- and we're talking about paper that is really acidic as it is; put it in a cheap frame and toss it on the wall. When you want to put up something else, pull it out and put in a new page. But if someone wants to do it differently, go for it.

Well I guess I should preface that the Michaels near me has a framing department run by a comic book artist from the 80's who loves OA more than life itself.

He's so careful and respectful with the pieces I give him that I guess I am just spoiled.

C

Yeah to bad he switches out your art and replaces it with a custom recreation. :baiting:

C

Yeah to bad he switches out your art and replaces it with a custom recreation. :baiting:

:o I mean (tsk) there's no way he could've.. :o

Oh .. :sorry:

I USED to take all my stuff to Michaels. I talked to the lady and really trusted her. She passed away about a year ago and I never went back. I just didn't trust the other people there.

There are plenty of horror stories about these places and their framework. Unbelievably, I talked to a guy who used to work at Michaels and he said someone was scolded very severely for not using archival methods to frame a piece. A few days later that same guy was permanently gluing a Laker Jersey to the back of the frame. When he was asked why he was doing that after getting chewed out, he just said, "I have 100 other pieces waiting to get mounted. This is the fastest way to get things done."

So, I never go to Michaels anymore. The Artist's Eye in the San Fernando Valley is an excellent place if you are in the Los Angeles area.

My experience is that you have to make sure you don't get charged an arm and leg ! At any framing store....

Michaels is not bad, but it always depends on the people working there.

How involved is the framing job ? That's the question you should ask yourself.

I bought a couple of the same frames and matts and do it myself.

I use Aaron Brother's who owns Michaels. Though I just have them cut the glass, mattes and put together the frame. I never give them my art. I put the whole thing together myself. Plus I save on labor. Never had an issue they always use UV glass and acid free mattes.

What I did at the beginning of my OA days was to call a local museum and find out who they recommend. I called the MFA in Boston and they pointed me to a company that they did business with. It is pricey but I sleep better at night.

Steve, when I was living in Cincinnati I called the Cincinnati Art Museum for a refernce to get something restored (A Segar daily) that had bee waterlogged & was rotting/deteriorating.

They sent me to a guy in town. he charged me $200 - in advance and said to come back next week.

when I returned, it looked like a puzzle that was put back together and mounted with missing areas. The guy had put the art into a "gas box" and exposed the art to chlorine gas to arrest most. naturally the exposure itself disintegrated the paper and the piece was pretty much destroyed with only a single full panel and he mounted the remaining material as if it was an ancient papyrus.

I sold it to Bernard years ago.. maybe he can find a picture. It was disgusting.. It was worth 500 when I gave it to the guy. it was worth $50 when I got it back