• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Relationship of Holidays to buying?!?!?!?!?

11 posts in this topic

Its been a while since posting but its time for me to get back into the swing of things.

Do any of your feel that this past holiday season from Thanksgiving till now is the best year so far to pick up great bargains on ebay. I have never seen so much product being offered and so many great deals because of mulitples of items being offered at the same time.

Seems over the Thanksgiving holiday there is so much being offered that Lots are selling for 1/3 of what they usually do on mid grade items. It also seems that the closer we get to the end of December holidays that there are no bids on so many items and much smaller bidding traffic cause everyone is at the mall.

Ill start off with and example. An Alien Worlds Lot. Common but still usually priced and selling during the year for about $ 30 easily. Now, no one bids and I picked the 9 nm book set for $ 7.00. How can you go wrong.

On a rarer note. An early Strange Tales in NM for about $ 450. Two weeks ago the same book at 9.2 sold for about $ 2400.00. And many more.

Its amazing what waiting two weeks does.

a. Do you feel the above is true.

b. Have you experienced the same bargain effect these past two weeks.

c. What bargains have you picked up?

Feel free to voice and and all opinions as there is no right or wrong answer. Stars for everyone as usual regardless of opinion.

Well, I don't fully agree to your statement.

I currently only buy CGC SA stuff in 6.0 to 9.2, and I haven't seen many great deals. frown.gif

I must say I'm on to JiM, and thay aren't especially cheap any time of year.

I guess it all depends on what kind of books you're after 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I haven't really seen any great bargains on high grade CGC'd Gold or Silver material (and I've been looking).

As a matter of fact, I think there has been an uptick in prices for these books over the past month and a half.

On a rarer note. An early Strange Tales in NM for about $ 450. Two weeks ago the same book at 9.2 sold for about $ 2400.00.

What book are you referring too?

An early Strange Tales in NM for about $ 450. Two weeks ago the same book at 9.2 sold for about $ 2400.00.

What book are you referring too?

Sorry, forgot to put the comic number in. It was a Strange Worlds # 5. not a Strange Tales which was in 9.2 condition and sold to I believe a store somethingdragons.com.

I purchased a # 5 for about $ 450.00 but who knows if it was in mint shape. But, Ill take it for that price even in fine. Will see when I receive it. See attached scan.

337300-st5.jpg.5aeeae6fa4bb65d5616bcf64017a3d9c.jpg

Just wondering Does anybody know who atomic-age-man is on ebay. Man, he sure likes to buy books and I run into him in just about every auction I bid on. Probably because he bids on just about every Sci Fi horror book that I like. Hey, all the power to him. Just wondering if its anyone we know. At the rate he is buying books, in the future when I wish to purchase a book, Ill probably go to him.

I wish I could believe that myth about how holiday periods deflate prices. All they do is lower the amount of quality books on ebay (e.g. high grade GA and SA) as people are either aware of this apparent market force, or are too busy to sell. The upshot is that whatever important books make it online attract a disproportionate amount of attention from hungry buyers looking for deals (and steals). Result: no deals. Unless you're desperate and prepared to gamble.

I certainly expect a drop-off in eBay buyer's activity -- at least due to those who are just blindly shopping for a gift for someone. If you haven't bid/won an item within the next few days, your odds of receiving it in time for Xmas go way down. Get a seller who piddles around and doesn't ship for a few days and, bam, it's too late.

However, you'll also likely see an influx of buyers who, like me, have some extra time over the holidays to do some shopping for themselves.

I'm hoping that the cessation of buying from the first group more than offsets the increase of buying from the latter group. smile.gif