• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slightly OT: Canadian Sportscard Collector Goes Bankrupt

32 posts in this topic

My father just told me that he received a letter stating that possibly the only sportscard magazine left (that isn't a glorified price guide) has gone under. Canadian Sports Magazine, (used to be Canadian Sportscard Collector before they expanded to include other vintage items) has been shut down and its parent media company is bankrupt.

This is bad news for collectibles in general, since even I found this magazine interesting, as it actually published stories and real content on new and vintage issues, especially as the reasons given were due to a drop in advertising and poor economic conditions for sportscard dealers.

I wonder how Wizard is doing?

I hate to see it due to the economic times, but printed publications have not been doing well for about the past 10 years. A shame too, because there are a lot of sources of information that are disappearing.

It's not just magazines. In 5 or 10 years, I doubt there will be any newspapers being printed. They've been going through the same thing.

Yes...it will probably reach as far as comic books, so get ready to read your comics online and pay to do it. If you don't pay, they'll dry up there too.

I dont really read subscribe to magazines anymore for that reason. There is nothing really that interesting.

I just bought a book, "Collecting Sports Legends", by Joe Orlando (Head of PSA). It is pretty awesome and filled with lots and lots of information.

Well they already cut Inquest (CCG magazine) last year, I'm sure Toy Fare isn't far behind and Wizard will probably linger for a couple more years before they fade away into oblivion. Why pay for a magazine that's already outdated when it comes out? Especially when info is so readily available online, instantly i.e. GPA, CBR, here, etc...

In Wizard's defense, the price guide has never been accurate since day one. I always bought it for the articles. It's not a bad magazine from a comic and pop culture point of view. Sure, most of them were goofy from a fan boy perspective, but they were worth reading. I never understood why they put a price guide in it because it was never accurate enough to be useful.

People want useful information immediately these days... printed publications that have not been able to adapt and provide a full/hybrid online version of their goodies will not last in the long-term.

I don't even really watch the evening news anymore since I've already heard the main stories by the time I get home.

My father just told me that he received a letter stating that possibly the only sportscard magazine left (that isn't a glorified price guide) has gone under. Canadian Sports Magazine, (used to be Canadian Sportscard Collector before they expanded to include other vintage items) has been shut down and its parent media company is bankrupt.

This is bad news for collectibles in general, since even I found this magazine interesting, as it actually published stories and real content on new and vintage issues, especially as the reasons given were due to a drop in advertising and poor economic conditions for sportscard dealers.

I wonder how Wizard is doing?

Sign of the times. :(

For Wizard, it'll be change or die. If they can make the price guide relevant, and publish interesting articles like the Ditko, Darwyn Cooke, and Chris Ware pieces they've done recently, they'll be o.k.

There is still Beckett and Tuff stuff magazine. There is another new sports magazine about the hobby that isn't a price guide that is being produced from hobbyinsider.net Its a great magazine that has a small following. IMO it blows a way beckett and Tuff stuff for its articles. If you want to check it out drop me a PM, I will try and hook you up with last months online copy.

I will miss Canadian sports card collector. I heard rumours that Richard got sick and the magazine went unpublished for a few months which I guess hurt them financially.

I advertise in Tuff Stuff and Sports Collector's Digest from time to time. We used to take full page ads out in Tuff Stuff. That mag used to be 3 times the size of what it is now. There rates have gone up over the years but there is less circulation. The only time we advertise is when they are setting up at shows and giving copies away. Such as next month's Chicago Sun Times sportscard show. All magazines have taken a hit. We advertise mostly online now when we do.

canadian sports card collecting is a pretty small niche though...i don't find this all that surprising and, honestly, am surprised that such a magazine even existed. it's not like there's a california sports card collecting magazine.

Newspapers and magazines will never stop being published just like LPs and 45s will never stop being made...

There's always a market for these things to people who like to physically hold onto something.

Every time a new technology comes out, people freak out and think the death of its predecessor is coming and more often than not, it just makes people who still produce those products smarter and more efficient in how they are made.

canadian sports card collecting is a pretty small niche though...i don't find this all that surprising and, honestly, am surprised that such a magazine even existed. it's not like there's a california sports card collecting magazine.

Canada is a little bigger than California....

Not in terms of purchasing power and generating product. I read last year that California itself was the equivalent of the seventh largest economy in the world. I don't know where Canada falls in the rankings but I bet it is 5th or 6th at best, so it may be more of apples to apples than you originally thought.

PS: I love Canada :foryou:

in population? (shrug) not in economy that i know, CA is 5th in the world. :acclaim: i wonder how CBG is doing? hm

in population? (shrug) not in economy that i know, CA is 5th in the world. :acclaim: i wonder how CBG is doing? hm

Population California 36.5 mil (2007), Canada 33.2 mil (2008) - estimates of course.

doh!

The 'Canadian' in Canadian Sports Card Collector is an adjective... it doesn't imply that there is a special Canadian style niche of collecting cards.

That having been said, it probably wasn't the wisest business decision to use the adjective 'Canadian', thereby perhaps lessening the broader market appeal of the publication.

Not in terms of purchasing power and generating product. I read last year that California itself was the equivalent of the seventh largest economy in the world. I don't know where Canada falls in the rankings but I bet it is 5th or 6th at best, so it may be more of apples to apples than you originally thought.

PS: I love Canada :foryou:

Canada fails at everything except charging taxes.