• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slightly OT: Canadian Sportscard Collector Goes Bankrupt

32 posts in this topic

In Wizard's defense, the price guide has never been accurate since day one. I always bought it for the articles. It's not a bad magazine from a comic and pop culture point of view. Sure, most of them were goofy from a fan boy perspective, but they were worth reading. I never understood why they put a price guide in it because it was never accurate enough to be useful.

There are a few magazines I buy for the "articles" as well. hm

canadian sports card collecting is a pretty small niche though...i don't find this all that surprising and, honestly, am surprised that such a magazine even existed. it's not like there's a california sports card collecting magazine.

I agree..I have been in the hobby more than 20 years and never even heard it mentioned in my life. I really wonder how they ever made any money.

canadian sports card collecting is a pretty small niche though...i don't find this all that surprising and, honestly, am surprised that such a magazine even existed. it's not like there's a california sports card collecting magazine.

Canada is a little bigger than California....

I love how you guys up north equate square miles (or kilometers) of frozen tundra with something that is relevant to, let's say, how many copies of a magazine a publisher can sell in a given market. Trees don't buy sports card magazines, people do!

California has a bigger population and likely more purchasing power (especially with gasoline at $2 a gallon) than Canada, but they're pretty close population wise, which is why i made the comparison.

I understand the magazine likely didn't just deal with canada specific products, but to the extent it dealt with sports cards in general, it overlaps with becket and tuff stuff and is a bit redundant. it differentiates itself, presumably, with a few canada-specific articles (I'll assume Canada probably has a specialized sub market for hockey cards I'd guess, CFL cards, etc.). probably (apparently), not enough to survive nowadays. too bad.

I am sorry if I offended any Canadians with the last post. Canada is a lovely country filled with lovely and kind people. Well, outside of Quebec at least. They're not so nice, but their food is pretty darn good.

I am sorry if I offended any Canadians with the last post. Canada is a lovely country filled with lovely and kind people. Well, outside of Quebec at least. They're not so nice, but their food is pretty darn good.

EXCUSE ME? :sumo: Quebecer are quite possibly the nicest people in all of North America! Just because we speak french and put cheese & gravy on our fries, doesn't make us unkind.

hah...o.k., you win, admittedly, my main experience is dealing with the Montreal office of one of Canada's larger law firms and those lawyers were PITAs and all this pretending not to speak english when i would call got a little aggravating. my brother used to live in toronto and got the same treatment when he had business in montreal. of course, that was 25 years ago....

and the one person i know on a personal level who is from montreal (lived in the u.s. a few years in high school) and then went back to montreal is a gigantic prik. took the guy out to brunch a couple of years ago with some other people, paid for the whole thing and he didn't even say thanks.

there you go, I categorize a few million quebecers based on the acts of one. i suppose that isn't fair...never stopped anyone from classifying us new yorkers accordingly!

EXCUSE ME? :sumo: Quebecer are quite possibly the nicest people in all of North America! Just because we speak french and put cheese & gravy on our fries, doesn't make us unkind.

This.

And coming from an English Quebecer as well (I

I didnt even know they could read in CANADA .. hmm

That's why our paper money varies in color - cannot distinguish a "5" from a "20" in writing... (:

Have you seen the new American bills?

They are copying our Money