• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGX question

115 posts in this topic

Yea. An encapsulated machine equates to a comic book real well.

I guess you showed me.

How about I sell an encapsulated 1957 Chevy, or a raw one? Which one would you buy. The one that was checked out by a professional mechanic in 1993 and encapsulated in a protective cover since. Or a raw one that has been driven since 1993, and never checked out by a professional mechanic?

Should we now go into encapsulated trees and forests now.

Look fellows. I don't have a problem with you putting down PGX ever day from now on. In fact, the fewer of you that bid on PGX books I am interested in, the better I like it.

So, what's the point of your argument?

The problem is that you continue to argue that PGX, in fact, should be considered a viable alternative to CGC (in your analogy above you're referring to PGX as a "professional mechanic") when all the evidence points to PGX being an amateur-level operation, no better than any other purveyor of raw comic books, one that also seems to be involved in more than its fair share of "shady" dealings.

Much better than I said it. :)

My opinion (based on the few PGX slabs that I've aquired) is that buying a PGX book is like buying a raw book on eBay - you might get lucky and end up with a book worth what you paid for it, but more often than not, you will be disappointed.

And in such a scenario, it would actually be BETTER to buy a raw book, because you won't be lulled into some false sense of security by a fancy PGX slab. With a raw book, you'll do all the checking yourself, thank you very much.

(thumbs u

Sadly, keeping it in the PGX slab will probably be better for you.

There are still people, amazingly enough, who are willing to pay more than comparable raw for PGX books.

like robojo33? lol

It blows me away how many people will buy a PGX book.Geppi,Metro,Mark Wilson,and many others.

If the book is valuable, I would rather buy it in a PGX slab than raw, any day. With 1/2 the books I buy on ebay having to be returned for all sorts of undisclosed problems, i'd rather have the book graded by someone that doesn't have a vested interest in the value of the book - especially in regard to the typical ebay seller - 'I don't know how to grade/I'm not a professional grader', 'I got these from my grandmom and I don't know anything about them', 'No Returns', etc... the fact that you can sometimes buy books in a PGX slab for less than many of the same books Raw is an added bonus. And my experience has been that the grading was just as accurate as CGC, or just as inaccurate depending on your point of view.

additionally I prefer the pgx holder to the cgc holder. The book is far more secure.

My 2-cents.

Run....run like the wind!!!!!!!!!! The hounds are going to be on you before you ever hear their growl!

Supernatural?

I am not saying that I disagree at all. Just responding to yet another post of how CGC never makes mistakes, and raw books should not be purchased for fear that the devil has color touched them..

If the devil has color touched them, can I get that slabbed as SS "sketched"...? ;)

But don't tell me that a PGX graded book is not at least as good (and actually better) than a raw book. It defies logic and sensibility.

I won't argue with it being at least as good at all, but I will argue against paying more for a PGX slabbed book on the market vs. a raw book. Always.

That book turns up frequently for me for whatever reason. I believe I have bought 5 in the last 4 months.

I hate you.

Ya'll take this chit chatting stuff WAY TOO SERIOUSLY.

You're not taking it seriously enough. This isn't a theoretical discussion, where no one gets hurt. There are real people out there who have lost real money involving themselves with PGX.

It's like a couple of football fans arguing about whose team is best. What friggin difference does it make? I submit a book to CGC and they send it back as trimmed, even though I know for a fact that it is not. Or, I send a book to PGX and it comes back as a Universal label and it has color touch. Or, I buy a raw off of Ebay, and it is trimmed and has color touch.

Your analogy is false. Those "football fans" do not have a vested, financial interest in "whose team is best" unless they A. are gambling on it, or B. have ownership in the teams.

People who deal in graded comic books, on the other hand, do.

You take your best shot and deal with what life throws at you. Is CGC a better gamble than the other two alternatives. Heck yea. No doubt about it. I made that point in each and every post I have written in this thread (well, maybe just most of my posts). But I can not grasp how a raw book is automatically better than a PGX book. It defies logic. To use the machine analogy (that doesn't really apply), it is like buying a used car that was gone over by a "back yard" mechanic, or not gone over by anyone except you, and you ain't a mechanic.

A professional is someone who does their "thing" and gets paid for it. The word does not necessarily imply that they are the best, or even good at it. All of you that think you are better at it the the PGX guy, should open up shop and put him out of business.

Another flawed analogy. Nothing will "put PGX out of business" except PGX or a government entity of some kind. I do not doubt that, if there were 10,000 grading companies, Daniel Patterson would STILL be cranking them out, albeit in a much more competitive market.

Why hasn't CGC put him out of business? Because of better slabs, better turn around times, better prices? Yep. Somebody besides his momma likes his work, obviously. Just about everyone who visits this site on a daily basis, has AND will again, buy a PGX graded book. I have no doubt. No matter what you might post here.

Sigh.

The fact that PGX is still in business has to do with all sorts of industry conditions, but mostly Daniel Patterson's own will.

I'll happily buy PGX graded books, when and if they ever sell on par with raw books of the same stated grade. They are no better than any of the other thousands of sellers out there in the world selling raw books. If Joe Blow Seller sells an Adventure #267 in VG+, and it sells for $50, and a PGX graded book in the same grade sells for $50, then I guess I'll have two copies in VG+. And when I receive the slabbed book, I'll chuck the slab and check the book for myself.

But I will never, ever, ever pay a premium because of the PGX slab. Ever.

That book turns up frequently for me for whatever reason. I believe I have bought 5 in the last 4 months.

I sold 3 copies last year in VF- to VF/NM-. The one I have now is my keeper. One of my favorite books from the SA.

Mine, too. Only three books I ever regret selling and one of them was a killer 8.5-9.0 Avengers 57 that I sold back in '89 for $30.00 or so. It was a pretty good price back then, but :cry:

I bought mine 2-3 years ago for $100.00 it was marked at $125.00 and have no interest in selling. Only "fllaw" is the box with the heads in the upper left corner is a little light on ink.

But don't tell me that a PGX graded book is not at least as good (and actually better) than a raw book. It defies logic and sensibility.

I won't argue with it being at least as good at all, but I will argue against paying more for a PGX slabbed book on the market vs. a raw book. Always.

I hate you.

You have a 9.0 in your sig line (shrug)

I think the CKB grading company needs to open for business. Here are my standards:

- My resume and restoration detection abilities are legendary. Just ask me. I have a certificate.

- I encapsulate the book in the inner well first, then grade it, so that you get the best grade possible based on the appearance of the book in the slab, using the strictest OSGG interpretation..

- While your books are with me, I store them in a high security climate controlled walk-in safe with a state of the art alarm system. In other words, all the doors to my garage have a lock on them and I have painted the windows black from the inside. The ADT motion sensor is foolproof - my alarm system notifies the authorities with the phone line that attaches to my house above the ground around the other side. No one knows what I do there. Well, except the postman. And the UPS guy. And the Fed Ex guy. And my neighbor with the Cocaine habit. And my other neighbor with the three late-teen kids with pot habits. Great kids, though.

- If you come to my garage, there is a small fee for training on how to use the encapsulation machine, the micro-trimmer, and the press, and another small fee to leave you alone with the machines for 45 minutes without my knowledge.

Man, what do one of these encapsulation machines cost - I'm really onto something. I can even get one of those neighbor's kids to come run the machine. My landscaper has been asking me for more work, too....

I think the CKB grading company needs to open for business. Here are my standards:

- My resume and restoration detection abilities are legendary. Just ask me. I have a certificate.

- I encapsulate the book in the inner well first, then grade it, so that you get the best grade possible based on the appearance of the book in the slab, using the strictest OSGG interpretation..

- While your books are with me, I store them in a high security climate controlled walk-in safe with a state of the art alarm system. In other words, all the doors to my garage have a lock on them and I have painted the windows black from the inside. The ADT motion sensor is foolproof - my alarm system notifies the authorities with the phone line that attaches to my house above the ground around the other side. No one knows what I do there. Well, except the postman. And the UPS guy. And the Fed Ex guy. And my neighbor with the Cocaine habit. And my other neighbor with the three late-teen kids with pot habits. Great kids, though.

- If you come to my garage, there is a small fee for training on how to use the encapsulation machine, the micro-trimmer, and the press, and another small fee to leave you alone with the machines for 45 minutes without my knowledge.

Man, what do one of these encapsulation machines cost - I'm really onto something. I can even get one of those neighbor's kids to come run the machine. My landscaper has been asking me for more work, too....

why not include a pressing service?

74958.gif.bb126513632a690bcded6e3004a66ae5.gif

This is one of my favorite examples of PGX's "grading":

blazingcomics5.jpg

insidetear1.jpg

Yeah, that's the one I keep mentioning with the large tear on the first page. Thanks for posting that, GZ.

Cmon people this tear wasnt missed.It was a scam.I would bet you it was sold by sbjstuff.

Yep I remember those books... all were sbjstuff. WTF is that, anyway?

You're kinda missing the point here - you claim that buying a PGX book is better than buying a raw book which is untrue. Buying a PGX book is exactly like buying a raw book -

And it's my contention that buying a PGX book is WORSE THAN buying a raw book...because it's in a slab, that may lull someone into a false sense of security, especially with regard to restoration.

With raw books, people who know better are going to give the book a once over, and detect whatever they're capable of detecting.

In a slab, they may not, thinking that PGX is "professional", and therefore more likely than not to detect restoration themselves.

Nothing could be further from the truth.