• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See Those Funny Animal Books!
2 2

1,993 posts in this topic

Jeffro...the first 6 issues of Rudolph are pre-Silver-Age But if your going to include Dodo and Frog..you may as well include Nutsy Squirrel and Raccoon Kids. And the Hollywood Funny Folks as was mentioned by someone. As all are name change titles.

See? I knew I couldn't have gotten them all. :grin:

REVISED LIST

Fox and the Crow...

Stanley and His Monster? -- The Fox and the Crow title change, but it's debatable whether Stanley's monster is funny or an animal.

Jack

I was going to mention Stanley & His Monster but they didn't come along until the late 60's and I do not consider Funny Animal really. I categorize that under Funny Characters, Teens, Satire, etc. Not Funny Animal. No debate to me. Most of the characters are regular cartoon folks not animals.

Now if we're going to include all Funny Animals into the Bronze age..Then don't forget about the 7 issue Three Mouseketeers series 2. And you mayt as well include all 13 Rudolphs.

The last Rudolph (comic, not treasury) was 1962/63 was it not?

I should have said a list of all 10 cent DC FA titles. I tend to lose interest when they go to 12 cents. If someone wants to expand the list past SA, go for it.

I think an issue of "It's Game Time", # 2 maybe contains Dodo and the Frog.

The last Rudolph...though not numbered but dated 1962-63 is a 25cent giant/annual.

I just discovered this thread, and yes I went through all 59 pages! Fantastic books, everyone. I love the Timely's with their great colors, and those Bugs books were awesome too.

I've got a few random books, and I'm starting to pick up some of the DC ones, which I'll post shortly.

I'll start by posting this one though:

Goofy11-1.jpg

This one's beyond a beater, but I picked it up for a dollar (or maybe less, who knows) at a LCS many moons ago. It's got the first appearance of Spooky.

Casper10.jpg

Here's a question: were any of the DC characters produced as cartoons? Some of the titles hint at that (Hollywood, Real Screen), but I've never heard of any of them outside the DC books.

Here's a question: were any of the DC characters produced as cartoons? Some of the titles hint at that (Hollywood, Real Screen), but I've never heard of any of them outside the DC books.

John, here's some not-so-relevant info on title change from some older threads:

Michelle Nolan in her notebook entry from CBM # 110 notes that "[...] the first transition title in DC's history was Leading Comics, and the shift was from a "second-string" super-hero team, the Seven Soldiers of Victory, to funny animals with # 15 (Summer 1945). The change apparently was a significant success, since Leading ran for a full decade through # 77 (Aug/Sept 1955), usually featuring Peter Porkchops.

DC waited 3 1/2 years to make a similar transition with Comic Cavalcade # 30 (Dec 1948 - Jan 1949). By that time, the company had already been publishing five well-established funny animal titles - Funny Stuff (led by The Dodo and the Frog), Real Screen (featuring The Fox and the Crow), Leading (Peter Porkchops), Animal Antics (The Raccoon Kids) and Funny Folks (Nutsy Squirrel). Comic Cavalcade became DC's sixth funny animal title, featuring characters plucked from the other five. They included almost all of the funniest folks except Peter Porkchops who never appeared in Comic Cavalcade.

Including Peter Porkchops # 1 (Nov / Dec 1949), DC published no fewer than 42 funny animal comics in 1949! That represents nearly 20 percent of the company's 229 issues published that year. Somebody must have loved this funny stuff!"

... and from the Toonopedia:

“ .. most [DC funny animal titles] modified their titles to suggest (without outright claiming) a connection to theatrical animation. Animal Antics became Movietown's Animal Antics with its 24th issue (February, 1950). Then all were re-titled after their lead features. Movietown's Animal Antics became Raccoon Kids with its 52nd issue (October, 1954)."

More specifically to your question, some of the features were cartoons, in particular:

" DC had licensed the Columbia cartoon characters in 1945, and launched a new title, Real Screen Comics, for them to star in" , meaning Fox & the Crow but also Tito & Burrito who "started out in a cartoon short titled Tito's Guitar, which was released October 30, 1942, by Columbia Pictures' Screen Gems Studio."

Probably others were also cartoons but I can't recall off hand.

Here's a few more that just came in from the Bay...

PP50.jpg

Of the four, I got the biggest laugh out of that cover. Funny posture and look on the face of Wolfie.

Jack

Found another one...a recent pickup.

PeP26.jpg

Did you just post that one?

Must have been on Silver where I pointed out how much I like the lion, and that he reminds me of the one from Astro City.

78419.jpg

Jack

Found another one...a recent pickup.

PeP26.jpg

Did you just post that one?

Must have been on Silver where I pointed out how much I like the lion, and that he reminds me of the one from Astro City.

78419.jpg

Jack

I probably posted it in the Silver 10-cent thread. And yes, the similarity is striking!

So Jack, it sounds like the connection to TV was iffy, at best...

Was that my question?

Jack

You lost me...

It seemed like you were replying to me about a question that I didn't ask.

Maybe there's another Jack on the thread that I only know by userid.

Jack

So Jack, it sounds like the connection to TV was iffy, at best...

Was that my question?

Jack

You lost me...

It seemed like you were replying to me about a question that I didn't ask.

Maybe there's another Jack on the thread that I only know by userid.

Jack

It seemed to me earlier today that John called me Jack. I didn't reply b/c I was speechless. Who could confuse us? One of us like low grade Four Color comics and teaches at the college level and the other ... :insane: