• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets See Those Funny Animal Books!
2 2

1,993 posts in this topic

So Jack, it sounds like the connection to TV was iffy, at best...

Was that my question?

Jack

You lost me...

It seemed like you were replying to me about a question that I didn't ask.

Maybe there's another Jack on the thread that I only know by userid.

Jack

It seemed to me earlier today that John called me Jack. I didn't reply b/c I was speechless. Who could confuse us? One of us like low grade Four Color comics and teaches at the college level and the other ... :insane:

Yeah, it'd be unlikely to mix up the good-looking one with the clever one, wouldn't it?

Jack

(or Scrooge. I forget.)

So Jack, it sounds like the connection to TV was iffy, at best...

Was that my question?

Jack

You lost me...

It seemed like you were replying to me about a question that I didn't ask.

Maybe there's another Jack on the thread that I only know by userid.

Jack

:roflmao:

:cry: It sucks getting old.

One more! I really like PP's logo.

PP26.jpg

Peter Porkchops was America's favorite pig? I'm calling bullshiitt on this one because of two simple words.

Porky Pig.

lol this thread took a turn deserving of a funny animal storyline :)

Glad I could contribute. :D

One more! I really like PP's logo.

PP26.jpg

Peter Porkchops was America's favorite pig? I'm calling bullshiitt on this one because of two simple words.

Porky Pig.

That's kind of what I was getting at with the question about whether these characters actually had a run on TV. Most of the DC characters have obviously more popular counterparts from Disney or Warner Bros., so I was wondering if there really was a period of TV that is now lost to our cultural awareness, or was DC trying to create an image with the whole Hollywood/Real Screen angle.

Buzzy comes to mind as well, labeled as America's Favorite Teenster, and A Date With Judy, supposedly America's Radio Favorite.

Buzzy comes to mind as well, labeled as America's Favorite Teenster, and A Date With Judy, supposedly America's Radio Favorite.

Ah! But while Buzzy was created for the comics, Judy WAS a radio "favorite". The show lasted from June 24, 1941 to May 25, 1950, a fairly decent 9 year run (Think Seinfeld or Friends as comparison for longevity). The one thing that comics did is extend some franchise's life as many of these comics continued to be published long after the show's cancelation. To wit, Judy lasted in the comics until 1960, a full 10 years after the show ended.

Here's a question: were any of the DC characters produced as cartoons? Some of the titles hint at that (Hollywood, Real Screen), but I've never heard of any of them outside the DC books.

John,

The Fox and Crow had several cartoons in the early 40's. I know some of the other characters were done as well. Do a search on You Tube. for the Fox and the Grapes. You'll have to sift thru all the other Fox and Grape stuff but hopefully the DC characters are still on there. I think I found 2 different Fox andf Crow cartoons uploaded there a couple years back and several months back they were still there.

The comics arfe much funnier than the cartoons in my opinion however.

I love this black cover and the funny gag. It's in pretty nice shape for a black cover, although it has a little spine split at the bottom.

FStuff44.jpg

Glad to see you posting in the FA thread John. Love this Funny Stuff cover. One I do not have. Now how did I miss that awesome looking Real Screen issue at Ebay? I'm always checking for those.

Ah! But while Buzzy was created for the comics, Judy WAS a radio "favorite". The show lasted from June 24, 1941 to May 25, 1950, a fairly decent 9 year run (Think Seinfeld or Friends as comparison for longevity). The one thing that comics did is extend some franchise's life as many of these comics continued to be published long after the show's cancelation. To wit, Judy lasted in the comics until 1960, a full 10 years after the show ended.

Thanks Jack.

I love this black cover and the funny gag. It's in pretty nice shape for a black cover, although it has a little spine split at the bottom.

FStuff44.jpg

Glad to see you posting in the FA thread John. Love this Funny Stuff cover. One I do not have. Now how did I miss that awesome looking Real Screen issue at Ebay? I'm always checking for those.

Don't know how you missed it, but I'm kinda glad you did.

Seems like there's a steady dribble of DC FA's from the 50's on the bay. Don't worry though, I'm not likely to push prices very high!

Thanks Jack.

:cry:

lol

No one's likely to read a discussion of Mary Jane and Sniffles on General when there are hot topics like logos and conspiracy schemes, so I copied the message here. Any insights into the artists?

Jack or Scrooge or one of those guys -- not the good-looking one

How are the Mary Jane and Sniffles stories? Usually my favorite if they're "old school" Mary Jane with the italic lettering. I really need to remember which artist used which style.

Jack

They are ok. The writing is not as good as Disney stuff....but I am still enjoying them. Issue 85 is now my oldest one (1948) so not sure if the art was diff in the early years. I have 6 of these books now and the stories in each are the same . Bugs, Mary Jane and Sniffles, Porky, Henry Hawk and Elmer Fudd last.

Toonopedia says:

"Editor Chase Craig (Magnus, Robot Fighter) created and wrote the "Mary Jane & Sniffles" series, naming its human protagonist after his wife. (There is some speculation that he based the character on the little girl in Beauty & the Beast, a 1934 Merrie Melody directed by Friz Freleng, but the connection, consisting mostly of hair color and the fact that "Beauty" used a similar method to shrink into the toy world, seems uncertain.) Through most of the 1940s, the series was drawn by Roger Armstrong, whose other credits include stints on the Ella Cinders, Napoleon and Scamp newspaper strips. In the '50s, Al Hubbard, whose credits, by an odd coincidence, also include Scamp (as well as comic book stories about Chip'n'Dale, Jiminy Cricket and practically every other Disney character), took it over."

Attached are typical of the MJ&S pages that I like. Is that Armstrong's style? Notice the italic lettering. Later, MJ looks slicker, more like Disney's Alice in Wonderland, with standard block lettering. Are those Hubbard?

LTMM 125

LTMM125Story4s.jpg

LTMM 129

LTMM129MaryJane.jpg

LTMM 5 -- a very early version, before Mary Jane took top billing.

(Maybe this is the only Armstrong page?)

ltmm5002.jpg

Jack