• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics # 1 [6.0] Unrestored up up and away!

1,020 posts in this topic

CC has gotten a lot of exposure for the 6.0 Action #1. A LOT.

Has anyone ever, including Heritage or Sotheby's, gotten that much PR for a comic?

CC's PR firm is the same one I use here in Chicago to promote our games (Golden Tee Golf, etc.). They're the best in the biz getting the word out.

What's the name of the firm? I'd have to agree about the PR.. I'm willing to bet that someone outside the hobby wins the book as a result (just maybe not Obama)!

Although Southeby's didn't do it for a comic, they were the house that auctioned off the Honus Wagner card a year ago that was all over the news..

I'm waiting for a warehouse find of ten thousand high grade copies that have been hidden away in Denver.

There's the anecdote bill gaines told about his father pulping stacks of them.

276,200 right now (where is the sweating graemlin)

The $200 at the end of that number is comical. Might as well tack on $37 cents too!

:D

I'm waiting for a warehouse find of ten thousand high grade copies that have been hidden away in Denver.

No kidding - I was always under the impression that the book sold out?

I don't remember where I heard it, so I can't vouch for the veracity of the anecdote. It has stuck with me for many years, however.

And, of course, if anyone was in the position to handle any returns on Action #1 (even if it was just a few hundred or thousand copies) it was Max Gaines.

I don't think I've heard that one! Any more to the story, or is that the gist of it?

I don't think I've heard that one! Any more to the story, or is that the gist of it?

Wikipedia points me towards the source, although I can't go back to it for exact details:

"EC and Mad publisher William Gaines, whose father was also a comic book publisher and had business dealings with DC Comics at the time Action Comics #1 was published, claimed in a Comics Journal interview that he at one point had dozens of copies of the issue around his house, but they were probably all thrown out.[13]"

^ "An Interview with William M. Gaines", The Comics Journal #81, May 1983, p. 55

In 1973, Sol Harrison has a perfect copy of Action #1. DC needed one for their upcoming reprint. Sol Harrison sold them the book for $1,000

DC took the book and cut it up. After being photographed, the pages and cover were laminated. This book is currently sitting in the DC offices. Saw it years ago. One look at it and you can tell that it was mint. So so so sad.

would love to hear some of the Action 1's stories....but, don't let them apply any make-up, might change its disposition to "restored"