• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics # 1 [6.0] Unrestored up up and away!

1,020 posts in this topic

...and where was all this info when I had my thread about A comparison of biggest keys through the years?

:baiting:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2952424&fpart=1

I believe I replied early and often in that thread, if you quit asking questions don't blame me.

You did, I just didn't remember you mentioning the above stats.

(thumbs u

We had this discussion in briefly in another thread, and the real argument is that the availability of ultra-high grade copies of Tec 27 (between 87-92 the Allentown sold twice, the Mile High sold and the 2nd nicest copy sold three times - compared to NO high grade sales of an Action #1) are what caused the price to have a temporary jump over Action #1.

Actually, didn't Kramer acquire his Action 1, which ended up grading out at 8.5, during the 87-92 period?

And that started the movement which put Action #1 back on top - a new record cash price being paid for a comic, besting the $82K for the Allentown Tec #27, and the $101K that was paid for the 2nd nicest Tec #27.

Crow, do you think the movie and the Batmania that swept the country briefly contributed to some of the best copies of Tec 27 changing hands so many times in such a short timespan? Surely it wasn't coinicidence. :shrug:

Crow, do you think the movie and the Batmania that swept the country briefly contributed to some of the best copies of Tec 27 changing hands so many times in such a short timespan? Surely it wasn't coinicidence. :shrug:

Well it certainly was a coincidence that the Allentown collection was discovered at around this time, and when the Tec 27 sold, the rise in the guide started. The interest in Batmania and the movie certainly helped to create a perfect storm, but if it was all due to the movie then why didn't Batman #1 rise to #3 in the guide? - it was the first Joker after all.

I still maintain that no one saw the movie and decided to spend 50K or more on a Batman comic then unless they were already pre-disposed to do so (but it sure encouraged a lot of people to spend $20 on a five year old Joker cover, or helped them decide that Batman #44 was worth a lot more than #43 or #45).

We sold a Batman #1 to collector in late 91 for $40K, a huge record at the time, but it was to a collector who still owns the book, not a speculator. Also around that time Metro had their famous "#1" catalog come out (they had pretty much every #1 issue ever) and the Fine unrestored Action #1 they had featured in the catalog was one of the very first books sold.

In the first Sotheby's auction, the Detective #27 that sold for $50,000 got a huge amount of press, but also in that same auction a restored copy of Action #1 sold for more than the Larson Marvel #1 (which still had beautiful unfaded colors at that time and was a VF+).

My belief is that a lack of high-grade unrestored copies coming to market is the only thing that has ever kept Action #1 out of the top spot.

Crow I love these old stories from the what appears to be the glory days of buying GA pedigree books in the early 90's. Just look at all the excitement that was generated when the Church AA#16 was graded, can you imagine if more of these gems that have been buried in collections for 20 years started to surface. Would love to see the Church run of MMC#1-10 slabbed just to see them in all their glory. :cloud9:

COKE-ZERO! COKE-ZERO! COKE-ZERO!

Aspertene ing back to the subject at hand,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,277.3k

Has the bidding stalled? Looks like it will be quiet until the final minutes. :popcorn:

:wishluck:

peter, I am on my 5th this morning...just warming up and I am thirsty!
Drink Diet Coke Sissy! :sumo:
who you call sissy, mama's boy :baiting:
What! You starting trouble (tsk)
I apologize for forgetting to call you last night, will holler at you tonight if you are free :foryou:

Well if you call a day or so a stall than it stalled but I dont think so.

I think it is definitely a stall. Its stalled precisely at the edge of "what its worth" in traditional valuation (compared to all previous sales and estimations) - - and, whatever hype-induced price it finally sells for. (I mean that in a good way, as in, an excited buyer who WANTS the book today, right now).

From here on out, only serious bidders need apply! and, for them, there is no reason to post any more bids until next week at the close. And, since there will not be a finite closing moment, there's absolutely no hurry to keep bidding.

I think with the current slide in the stock market, some investors may be thinking that the bottom is near and may be refocusing their attention on moving back into stocks, hence no need to spend a bazillion dollars on a funny book with cream pages.

I think with the current slide in the stock market, some investors may be thinking that the bottom is near and may be refocusing their attention on moving back into stocks, hence no need to spend a bazillion dollars on a funny book with cream pages.

:roflmao:

Sorry but that made me laugh hard!