• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A conundrum

16 posts in this topic

You're at a show and are looking for a NM copy of a key Silver Age comic. It's very rare to find this comic in this grade, though there are plenty of CGC 9.2 available, when, would you believe it, a dealer has three copies of it sitting on his tables.

Comic 1 : Raw, graded at NM, priced at $3000

Comic 2 : Raw, graded at NM, priced at $3000

Comic 3 : CGC Graded 9.4 (NM), priced at $8000

However ahead of you are three customers keenly examining Comic 1. Amazingly, it turns out that all three are CGC employed graders. You hear them say to the dealer "Yes, this is a lovely book, and we would definitely grade this at 9.4". They then depart. Rushing up to the dealer you attempt to thrust $3000 in his hands for Comic 1. However the dealer turns round and says "I'm sorry, but I'm sending this to CGC for slabbing, but if you want to buy it now the cost of this book has now risen to $7500, and also I'm not going to allow you to touch the book because you might accidentally cause damage to it."

Question : which comic do you buy ?

Wouldn't you just pull out your standard signed/notarized contract that allows you send it to CGC and buy Comic #2 at $3k if it comes back 9.4, but totally back out of the deal if it's less, leaving the dealer to pay the grading fees? confused-smiley-013.gif

None ,...since he raised the price in front of me..and I inform the dealer where to go in my cordial NY manner,......otherwise I would have purchased all three and sent the other two to be graded,kept the best copy and sell the other two on E-bay.

Just move on, of course the Yattyspeak is a nice touch.

We have a similar dialect here in Texas.

There will be other opportunites, I suspect you won't

be taking them with the dealer in question.

Try to keep it on a business level, he was trying to

capitalize, and so were you. He won [ tenatively of course ]

and you didn't. End of the first quarter, now to

move on to the second quarter.... thumbsup2.gif

Personally I wouldn't buy any, call the guy a nasty word and then go and accost the three graders and tell them to keep their big, fat mouths shut in future. I might say a prayer to St. Jude somewhere along the line.

I'm not sure you're winning this one.

Wouldn't you just pull out your standard signed/notarized contract that allows you send it to CGC and buy Comic #2 at $3k if it comes back 9.4, but totally back out of the deal if it's less, leaving the dealer to pay the grading fees? confused-smiley-013.gif

27_laughing.gif my thoughts exactly... I would buy all 3 books, slab the other 2, keep the best and sell the rest on ebay OR sell em all and come out ahead $5500, or $5K less grading/listing/ebay fees confused-smiley-013.gif

I return book 1 to dealer for full credit; or threaten to use industry contacts (CGC forum) to stay away from said dealer for fraudulent behavior, inevitably resulting in way more loss to said dealer than $4K. Comic dealing, Sopranos style, kicks in, THE WHEELS SET IN MOTION, dealer goes out of business and I end up coming up smelling like roses for taking out an unethical businessman. I end up getting more business for it and offset that $4k loss and then some... 27_laughing.gif

The said dealer claims that the Book 1 that you now have slabbed as Restored is not the book that he sold you. The 3 CGC employees further back this up by saying that the 2 books that they received were indeed not the books that they had looked at that day. He threatens to sue you and, as he is a well known CGC forum member, gets you blackballed and you end up losing $20000 of business in the next year. THE WHEELS HAVE NOW FALLEN OFF.

Ian Levine in his famous thread just wanted to vent a bit about an unfortunate business arrangement. The forum members then applied every amount of pressure to squeeze out a hint of an answer, note he never gave V's name fully, before Metropolis made their statement and everything was then out in the open.

Thus I will make no attempt to either deny, or confirm, anything about the facts, or the fiction, of the conundrum detailed previously.

CGC employees cannot grade books at shows unless they are doing onsite grading which takes place away from the dealers booth. If this big condom "did" happen I would be making some serious phone calls since this is clearly a BIG NO NO.