• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Philadelphia Comic Con Report 12/14/03

9 posts in this topic

About every six weeks, the Philadelphia comic con is held at the Holiday Inn located at 10th and Packard (down near the Wachovia Center) and is generally a very consistent show for what it is going to bring.

Now normally, I would begin by complaining that the show was the same... blah, blah, blah... but actually I had a very good show this time. Unfortunately, the weather was terrible in the morning here, and the show promoter, Derek Woywood got screwed because he was told very late that the room had been double booked, and the room was needed by 3 pm, so the show was cut short.

I got there at 10 am, basically to chit chat with Gary Platt and Koop, and to sell a few books, along with a whole bunch of moderns that I will now reacquire in trade paperback format (namely dumping my Hush run before everyone and their mother has one for sale) and await the collected hardcover which is bound to turn up soon. The "trade library" is really an appealing idea to me now, and with all the great trades out, it makes it more and more feasible and realistic to collect material in.

The normal crowd of dealers I see every show was there, Al Stoltz, Dave's American Comics, a guy named John who I can't think of his "company" name etc, J & S Comics and a whole group of dealers. But that being said, I anticipated getting the same selection and not finding any books on my want list. The room wasn't heavily packed, but there were more people than I anticipated given the weather.

John had a nice looking Journey Into Mystery 109 (nice eye appeal) probably only a F/VF I bought for $40 and an Avengers 3 VG/F or F- I bought for $60. Pretty good deals all around I thought. Both books for their grade had some fantastic eye appeal. I picked up some Alan Moore Swamp Things for 50 cents a piece. I found a couple of Mike Kaluta covered Detective Comics in high grade for a good price. I bought a V for Vendetta trade and the original Sqaudron Supreme trade for half off cover. Finally, on the way out, this dealer in the corner had the Tales from the Crypt slipcase hardcover and the Shock and Suspense slipcase hardcover for $65 and $50 respectively. I jumped on the Shock Suspense book and bought it. Great stuff.

Now if I had gone like I used to go, only looking for exclusively only VF+ and better high grade silver, I probably would have had a very disappointing con... but since I was able to purchase some books I was happy with, but in mid grade, I was able to get some excellent deals (and it helped that the dealers were definitely willing to give good deals as it was both Christmas and the show was slow). That being said, I've enjoyed my comics a lot more lately since I've begun building a trade library and not solely concentrating on the "high grade book".

I also wanted to note that negotiating is fine when you really believe that in order to make the deal good for you, you need to ask for more money off... I did it today on the JIM and Avengers 3, and to the dealer's credit, he was willing to make the sale for mid grades. But a lot of times, people are trying to nickel and dime dealers. I was talking to Koop when a couple of kids came up and the one was going to buy some modern books bagged and boarded (they were from this week's release) and his friend came up and announced that he could get them cheaper if he just waited and he could just wait... the total price on the books was $6.50. That kid needed to learn some class, and perhaps should have just said nothing, or at the very least, said something quietly. Consulting on a large purchase is one thing, insulting the dealer while at his table is quite another. The more effort and work I see that goes into a show, the more appreciation I have for not simply countering ANY offer that the dealer gives, especially when it's a fair one.

I had a really good time at the Philly show, and although it's not like Big Apple etc. or other bigger shows, it's a lot of fun now for me especially for the local show. There are certainly deals to be had in the room, but it's not the place for CGC books or ultra high grade stuff.

hmmmm... that appears to be a report about my female friends... not a "con" report... strange. By the way, they both thought you and Dave were great too... but were surprised Gene was over 30... they almost fell over when i told them.