• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ok, it was stupid, impulsive 15X Guide but I bought it anyway.

23 posts in this topic

I was about 13 when the Wolfman/Perez Titans series started and I never understood why they were so popular. I read quite a few issues because I sorta liked the art, but they never did a thing for me. Maybe it's just one of those books that I never "got" for some strange reason. Anyway, paying $60 for a CGC 9.8 book that means a lot to you is certainly rational, and I'm sure you'll get more than enough enjoyment out of it to justify the purchase.

I recently got one of my favorite 80s comics slabbed...Judge Dredd #3 (Eagle reprint series). This book is virtually worthless as far as the market value goes, but it is worth a lot to me, so I paid the money to get it slabbed even though I will not ever sell it.

these were the ones printed on Baxter paper, no? Seems to be my theme today, but why no value to these books now? Large print runs? The art was gorgeous, and I seem to remember liking the story.....

I recently got one of my favorite 80s comics slabbed...Judge Dredd #3 (Eagle reprint series). This book is virtually worthless as far as the market value goes, but it is worth a lot to me, so I paid the money to get it slabbed even though I will not ever sell it.

these were the ones printed on Baxter paper, no? Seems to be my theme today, but why no value to these books now? Large print runs? The art was gorgeous, and I seem to remember liking the story.....

Well, the first Judge Dredd series by Eagle was not on Baxter paper, but some of the mini-series were (Judge Child Quest, etc). Those books are great, many with wonderful Bolland art, but they ARE reprints of British material, so that probably hurt their value somewhat. Plus I just don't think Judge Dredd ever had that large of a fanbase here.

I thought the stories were usually very fun and tongue-in-cheek and Bolland is probably my favorite comic book artist of all time, so I really treasure those books, even if they aren't worth anything to most people. Judge Dredd 3 is the best "Judge Death" story and Bolland does the art for the entire book...it's probably my favorite of the run with a great black cover as well.

As an aside, I wish Brian Bolland would do some interior work, but all he does is covers. I think the last book he drew was The Killing Joke, and the coloring was so bad on that book, maybe it disheartened him. I think he probably just prefers doing covers and he is probably paid well for them, so I can't blame him for going that route.