• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain Marvel 1 - Grading Help, Input, Advice

5 posts in this topic

I dug this copy of Captain Marvel out of one of my boxes over the weekend. I found that the cover has some kind of wear on it. My guess is that it is not so much wear, but that it is a back cover image transfer from the copy that was directly in front of this one.

Oddly enough, this book has been bagged and boarded since the day that I bought it many years ago. So, it must have happened before I bought the book. Further, the book was bought during a time when I was not as obsessed about high grade, so I bought it to fill a hole in my collection and ignored the defect.

I am curious about a few things: First, has anyone seen a CGC graded book with this type of defect, and if so what kind of impact does this have on the grade. Second, I would like to get some opinions on what other forumites think this defect does to the grade. Lastly, am I correct in thinking that this is a transfer from a different books back cover image.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Close up of the defect:

338471-cm1a.jpg

Front cover:

338496-cm1b.jpg

338496-cm1b.jpg.f2e7f537fd92c3661ca691665b8b2837.jpg

Because cover gloss can raise a grade 1/2 a point, the lack of it could certainly lower it. So, I'll go VF on this one and only due to the loss of gloss. The rest of the comic is outstanding. This is certainly a weird one. Usually with that kinda wear, you do get a few other defects to go along with it. Weigh that against some other opinions and maybe you'll get an idea what the grade really is. grin.gif

Nina, Discount, thanks for the replies.

When I bought the book I am 99% sure that it was sold to me as a VF, so that goes along with what you guys are thinking. I also tend to lean towards a VF grade. Perhaps I will throw it in with the next submission that I send in to see what CGC says about it.

Thanks again for your replies.

thumbsup2.gif