• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Locke & Key appreciation thread
2 2

2,982 posts in this topic

Every now and then we have insane moments, here's mine...

L&K #1 first print starting bid $0.99

Good Luck! This includes you Mike :)

No way this sells for less than $100. Right?

I would be amazed if it did. Cheryl is a strict grader, so this book would have had to be perfect if this hooked a ride with her Alpha Flights to Sarasota.

Haha ... i lost. :P

Guess someone really wanted it ...

synch won it lol! He got it for a little less than our earlier negotiated price, but he won it fair and square. :)

(worship)

So I was thinking: what are the top 5 Locke & Key books? Put another way, what are the top 5 hottest L/K books at this moment in time?

My thoughts:

1. Locke & Key #1 Signed Edition

2. Locke & Key Welcome to Lovecraft Special Edition Variant

3. Locke & Key #1 (1st print)

4. Locke & Key Head Games #1 Signed Edition

5. Locke & Key Keys to the Kingdom #1 Signed Edition

Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?

I meant the variant. I have a couple 9.8's available
I want to remind people here, this was a largely ignored book. Treated as a TPB, not bagged and boarded or even gotten by many retailers. You cannot possibly, compare this to the Image Holiday Special 2005, which had about a 5,000 book print run. The Special Edition Variant of Locke & Key had a paltry run of 100-150 at the most. So once they are gone, good luck finding another in 9.8. My 2c

So I was thinking: what are the top 5 Locke & Key books? Put another way, what are the top 5 hottest L/K books at this moment in time?

My thoughts:

Based on recent eBay sales only (I don't have access to GPA), I would have to say a Locke & Key #1 first print SS would be top dog (selling for $425 recently in 9.8). NOW put a Lovecraft GRADED 9.8 special edition variant up for sale, and that statement may be bumped to #2.

To reiterate:

1. L&K #1 first print SS

2. Lovecraft special edition variant

3. L&K #1 signed edition

and I really don't have an opinion of #4 and #5. :)

I meant the variant. I have a couple 9.8's available
I want to remind people here, this was a largely ignored book. Treated as a TPB, not bagged and boarded or even gotten by many retailers. You cannot possibly, compare this to the Image Holiday Special 2005, which had about a 5,000 book print run. The Special Edition Variant of Locke & Key had a paltry run of 100-150 at the most. So once they are gone, good luck finding another in 9.8. My 2c

I sure hope so I really like having only one of 3 graded 9.8 (shrug):applause:

If i'd known it was him, i would of bid higher! :kidaround:

lol

Edited by synch

My thoughts:

Based on recent eBay sales only (I don't have access to GPA), I would have to say a Locke & Key #1 first print SS would be top dog (selling for $425 recently in 9.8). NOW put a Lovecraft GRADED 9.8 special edition variant up for sale, and that statement may be bumped to #2.

To reiterate:

1. L&K #1 first print SS

3. L&K #1 signed edition

I agree with Cheryl on #4 & #5 too. Unless you mean the SS CGC 10 of the Signed Head Games Variant(which is a different animal altogether=how many more Signed Editions in SS are there gonna be with the new rules?).

I would say(based on gut)...

1. L&K #1 Signed Edition in Qualified 9.8

2. L&K Lovecraft Special Edition in Universal 9.8

3. L&K #1 first print in Universal 9.8

4. IDW: First 10 Years Sampler(unknown Locke kids appearance) in 9.8-Unproven though

5. Doctor Who Classics #2 Variant(first preview-the only one that matters, IMHO) in 9.8-Unproven though

Honorable mentions in High Grade only

6. L&K: Head Games Signed Edition in SS CGC 10(there are plenty out there-I got two)

7. L&K: Head Games #4 Variant in Universal 9.9

8. L&K #4(classic Modern cover) in Universal CGC 10(plenty out there- I got two)

I don't include my fairly limited in numbers CGC 10's because they really aren't up for sale much. I shutter to think what I would get for my one of a kind Manufacturing Error copy of COS #5. People go gaga over TWD Error books.

174550-001.jpg

a7.jpg

My thoughts:

To reiterate:

1. L&K #1 first print SS

3. L&K #1 signed edition

I agree with Cheryl on #4 & #5 too. Unless you mean the SS CGC 10 of the Signed Head Games Variant(which is a different animal altogether=how many more Signed Editions in SS are there gonna be with the new rules?).

I would say(based on gut)...

1. L&K #1 Signed Edition in Qualified 9.8

2. L&K Lovecraft Special Edition in Universal 9.8

3. L&K #1 first print in Universal 9.8

4. IDW: First 10 Years Sampler(unknown Locke kids appearance) in 9.8-Unproven though

5. Doctor Who Classics #2 Variant(first preview-the only one that matters, IMHO) in 9.8-Unproven though

Honorable mentions in High Grade only

6. L&K: Head Games Signed Edition in SS CGC 10(there are plenty out there-I got two)

7. L&K: Head Games #4 Variant in Universal 9.9

8. L&K #4(classic Modern cover) in Universal CGC 10(plenty out there- I got two)

I don't include my fairly limited in numbers CGC 10's because they really aren't up for sale much. I shutter to think what I would get for my one of a kind Manufacturing Error copy of COS #5. People go gaga over TWD Error books.

174550-001.jpg

a7.jpg

Good choices. My list assumed an equity of grades across the board. Obviously 9.9s and 10s would inflate the price of any book on the list.

I sure hope so I really like having only one of 3 graded 9.8 (shrug):applause:

lol

Not any more...

:o:censored::frustrated:

Near Mint/Mint 9.8 4 0 0 0 4

lol

well 1 of 4 is still cool :) I don't really care its still a cool book to own no matter what really. I guess I should start buying these all up while I can & start putting dents into the the raw ones & then resell them back on ebay "9.8 cgc i!!!!!" :devil:

Edited by synch

In addition to the previously announced 1:25 signed variant for Locke & Key Clockworks #1, there is also a 1:100 variant. Below is a solicitation for Clockworks #1:

Locke : Key: Clockworks #1 (of 6)

Joe Hill (w) • Gabriel Rodriguez (a & c)

Colonel Adam Crais's minutemen are literally trapped between a rock and a hard place; in the first days of the Revolutionary War, they find themselves hiding beneath 120 feet of New England stone, with a full regiment of redcoats waiting for them in the daylight... and a door into hell in the cavern below. The black door is open, and it's up to a 16-year-old smith named Ben Locke to find a way to close it. The biggest mysteries of the Locke & Key series are resolved as Clockworks opens, not with a bang, but with the thunderous crash of English cannons.

FC • $3.99 • 32 Pages

Sales Points:

Only 12 issues of Locke & Key left!

Ask your retailer how to get a variant cover signed by Joe Hill or an original character drawing by Gabriel Rodriguez!

Based on this copy, I'm thinking the 1:100 variant will have a sketch by G-Rod. Pretty cool if that's the case!

Edited by MadGenius

what like each book will have a different sketch on it ? Also only 12 ?! I thought thought there was one more series after this or did they just combine the two into one title since most are only 6 books ....

Edited by synch

I think they're including Clockworks and the final mini series as the final 12 issues.

Pure speculation on my part, but perhaps Gabe will be doing a quick sketch on each of those 1:100 variants.

I think they're including Clockworks and the final mini series as the final 12 issues.

Pure speculation on my part, but perhaps Gabe will be doing a quick sketch on each of those 1:100 variants.

yes that makes sense looking at it again it just says "12 books left" but does not say anything about titles ! When I first looked I just assumed they meant 1-12 :D . DCBS has the autographed #1 up for around $12 & the 1:100 cover up for $50 (ouch) :roflmao: I ordered a autograph one from them just to be safe! I wonder if this 1:100 cover will be the next hard to find item ... I wonder how many of them they will make/print & how many LCS will actually order! Does anyone know any shop that actually orders in 100 locke & key books ?.. (shrug) The series is starting to get hot now but not quite tv series /walking dead hot yet

Edited by synch

yes that makes sense looking at it again it just says "12 books left" but does not say anything about titles ! When I first looked I just assumed they meant 1-12 :D . DCBS has the autographed #1 up for around $12 & the 1:100 cover up for $50 (ouch) :roflmao: I ordered a autograph one from them just to be safe! I wonder if this 1:100 cover will be the next hard to find item ... I wonder how many of them they will make/print & how many LCS will actually order! Does anyone know any shop that actually orders in 100 locke & key books ?.. (shrug) The series is starting to get hot now but not quite tv series /walking dead hot yet

L/K won't explode like Walking Dead until the TV show comes out (and if it's good). Since Clockworks #1 comes out in June, I'm thinking orders won't be abnormally high. That should mean there won't be a ton of 1:100 variants out there. Of course, IDW will no doubt stash a bunch away and let them trickle out on eBay a few months after it comes out. Still, that 1:100 variant will likely be as rare as the Welcome to Lovecraft Special Edition variant when all is said and done.

Edited by MadGenius