• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top 10 most expensive 90s books RIGHT NOW

61 posts in this topic

Cut and pasted from other thread per Rob's suggestion:

Lord knows I don't collect modern books but here's a feeble attempt at the top ten NON-VARIANT, NON-HARDCOVER, NON-GRAPHIC NOVEL 90s books raw, in no particular order. I am sure this list will be wildly inaccurate but hopefully others can build on it/ refine it. Just the first ten books that sprung to mind based on eBay sales. Some books that are high in the guide like the Creepy Fearbook and the Allred books (creatures of the id, grafik musik) go for next to nothing on eBay.

Technically eleven books but the last three are tied.

GI Joe 155 (around $50 raw)

GI Joe special (around $75 raw per Darth)

Bone #1 1st ($100?)

I Lusiphur #1 (wow, one just ended at only $31 )

Akira 38 (just ended at $31)

Punisher kills the Marvel Universe ($35-$40)

Witchblade #1 ($30)

Birds of Prey #8 ($40)

US 310 ($20-25)

US 318 ($20-25)

Adventurous Scrooge McDuck #2 ($20-$25)

Honorable mention: Lone Wolf and Cub #45 ($20-30 last I checked but it's been a long while since I did in fact check - it may have dropped)

Thanks Bronty, this is definitely the kind of list I was hoping we could make.

Question: Even though Cry for Dawn #1 is from 1989,

is Cry for Dawn #2 or #3 from 1990+, and if so, what does it sell for?

The top raw prices on "regular issues" of Valiant books have been:

Harbinger #1 - $22 avg.

Rai #3 - $20 avg.

Rai #4 - $18 avg.

Magnus #12 - $14 avg.

Prices fluctuate depending on seller feedback ratings, usually...

(and whether or not a scan is included in the auction)

but those have been the average raw NM prices over the past 3 years.

Hmm, sounds like those valiants are right on the cusp. thumbsup2.gif Let's call them honorable mentions for now.

Cry for Dawn... I don't know the answer to that, but your suspicions may be correct.

Looks like Cry for Dawn #2 is right around the $20-$25 cutoff as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2208731865&category=3979

And yes, per the seller it's from 1990... although if you want to get stupidly technical 1990 is really part of the 80s decade... no year zero! blush.gif But let's use 1990-1999.

reposting here....

What's so special about Birds of Prey #8 ?

From what I can tell from current ebay auctions, it' is because of Batgirl and Nightwing's "first kiss/date" ??? I don't see why anyone would care about this...are women suddenly buying comics and pushing prices up?!?

Wow. That is so incredibly weak. If that's the only reason the book is sought then I don't expect it to stay at $40 for more than another year or two. As a 1999 book, it hasn't really had to prove itself over any length of time yet. Most of the others have been kicking around for a few years.

although if you want to get stupidly technical 1990 is really part of the 80s decade... no year zero! But let's use 1990-1999.

No,... 1990 is part of the 90's last I checked. I remember a debate I had with a friend over this one. I had to use a couple of dictionary's to prove it to him. grin.gif

It's pretty striking when you put the facts together, huh? Very few even moderately expensive books from that decade so far. shocked.gif ---and, the # of independents is greater than the # of marvels and dcs combined! 893whatthe.gif

I wouldn't say that - print runs from the mid 90s on were way smaller than on 80s books. Just not a lot of demand yet. A lot of the books produced did suck pretty hard.