• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just came home from Watchmen

271 posts in this topic

That doesn't explain why the mask would form symmetrical as opposed to asymmetrical patterns

Bcause...it's not a mask...it's his face... ;)

AAAAAAARGH!

::gives up discussion:: (insert brick wall banging smilie)

lol

:P

I had no problem with the way they did R's mask. My sister, on the other hand, didn't understand why it moved. She also didn't understand where Bubastus comes from. With the changed ending, they should have left her out.

She also didn't understand where Bubastus comes from. With the changed ending, they should have left her out.

Yeah, the movie changed the entire ending and tone/meaning of the movie, yet it maintained the rest of the GN. That genetically-engineered cat served no purpose under the "new story", and I really think "Doc Manhattan as a US weapon of war" should have been underplayed as well, as it made no sense given the ending.

Had he really been a US weapon, Russia's nuclear armament would have tuned for his attack and engaged automatically after Moscow went up. The last thing you want to do when "creating world peace" is to launch a US-based attack on Russia, no matter if the US and other world cities are also attacked.

Even in that time period, automatic response systems were enabled and there would be no stopping it.

She also didn't understand where Bubastus comes from. With the changed ending, they should have left her out.

Yeah, the movie changed the entire ending and tone/meaning of the movie, yet it maintained the rest of the GN. That genetically-engineered cat served no purpose under the "new story", and I really think "Doc Manhattan as a US weapon of war" should have been underplayed as well, as it made no sense given the ending.

Had he really been a US weapon, Russia's nuclear armament would have tuned for his attack and engaged automatically after Moscow went up. The last thing you want to do when "creating world peace" is to launch a US-based attack on Russia, no matter if the US and other world cities are also attacked. Even in that time period, automatic response systems were enabled.

Screenwriter, fanboy lambasteur, and now global diplomat... Ladies and gentlenerds, I give you the final word on all things (just ask him, he'll tell you), Joe_Collector!

:golfclap:

:kidaround:

Screenwriter, fanboy lambasteur, and now global diplomat...

Surprisingly, if you actually watch TV other than Buffy, Lost and Heroes, you might actually learn a few things. Strategic response systems exist all over the world, and in the outlandish scenario at the end of Watchmen, there would have been missiles flying all over.

Surprisingly, if you actually watch TV other than Buffy, Lost and Heroes, you might actually learn a few things. Strategic response systems exist all over the world, and in the outlandish scenario at the end of Watchmen, there would have been missiles flying all over.

I saw that movie!

wargames.png

JC I think in real life people would be a lot more careful than just balls out burning the globe. I again thought it was fairly well done.

Gee, you mean up-to-date and ultra-modern Cold War classics such as "War Games"? Thanks for the cutting-edge insight into the 80's-era story, Joe.

WarGames.jpg

Gee, you mean up-to-date and ultra-modern Cold War classics such as "War Games"? Thanks for the cutting-edge insight into the 80's-era story, Joe.

WarGames.jpg

I especially like the sequel ..."Ferris Beulers Day Off" ... lol

lol, apparently something so basic escaped Mr Snyder. :roflmao:

I will say that tying Doc Manhattan into the ending is a great idea, even an improvement on the original, but the bizarre mistake was trying to keep the rest of the GN *exactly* the same.

By making such a drastic change, and a major shift in the meaning/moral/theme of the movie, there has to be similar changes throughout the movie. This "have your nerd cake and eat it too" attempt just didn't work, and even something as obvious as deleting Bubastis or getting rid of Jon's US wartime activity was totally screwed up.

Alan Moore created a multi-layered story supported by an incredibly detailed, multiple character study format, and just the idea that someone can totally change the ending of the story, yet still perform an almost frame-by-frame duplication of the GN, is sheer stupidity. Either that, or ego run wild.

JC I think in real life people would be a lot more careful than just balls out burning the globe. I again thought it was fairly well done.

The book (and, arguably, the entire movie save for the ending) was set in the 80's. People were afraid of things like that happening back then; they are less so now. This, in my mind, is why they changed the ending.

While the movie did a fine job of creating a world with an alternate history, it didn't necessarily transport the viewer to a specific moment in time and thus the Cold War-style paranoia and Russian nuclear response wouldn't necessarily have made sense to today's audiences.

I was okay with it.

Bubastus

Just who is this Bubastus you speak of ???... (shrug)

Bubastis.

And we'll ALL be watching for your typos.

Wasn't my typo... :P

Pro-tip: Get over it. :makepoint:

Aaaaaanyways. I'm seeing the movie on Saturday in IMAX. Did anyone here see it in IMAX? Any good?

I'm not understanding what you're trying to get at. You laugh at 1980's Cold War strategic defense/response systems, which were and are very real, yet don't seem to understand that Watchmen takes place in the same time period.

:roflmao:

I'd recommend you a) read the GN, then b) go see the movie, as you're spouting mindless gibberish of which you have no clue. :tonofbricks:

Bubastus

Just who is this Bubastus you speak of ???... (shrug)

Bubastis.

And we'll ALL be watching for your typos.

Wasn't my typo... :P

Pro-tip: Get over it. :makepoint:

Aaaaaanyways. I'm seeing the movie on Saturday in IMAX. Did anyone here see it in IMAX? Any good?

Amateur-tip: I'm good... :makepoint:

So who's Bubastis???...

lol, apparently something so basic escaped Mr Snyder. :roflmao:

I will say that tying Doc Manhattan into the ending is a great idea, even an improvement on the original, but the bizarre mistake was trying to keep the rest of the GN *exactly* the same.

By making such a drastic change, and a major shift in the meaning/moral/theme of the movie, there has to be similar changes throughout the movie. This "have your nerd cake and eat it too" attempt just didn't work, and even something as obvious as deleting Bubastis or getting rid of Jon's US wartime activity was totally screwed up.

Alan Moore created a multi-layered story supported by an incredibly detailed, multiple character study format, and just the idea that someone can totally change the ending of the story, yet still perform an almost frame-by-frame duplication of the GN, is sheer stupidity. Either that, or ego run wild.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. However, I don't think DM's wartime activities were out of place in any way. Without that bit of backstory, why would the world have reason to fear him? Why would the foreign aggressors and the U.S. alike then be "inspired" to lay down their weapons and seek a lasting truce?

Again, it was a failure as a period piece. It was a failure as a strict adaptation of the GN. It was a success as a stand-alone film. The movie made sense, the ending made sense, and the director was savvy enough to know that he needed to make a change to have the ending make sense to people who didn't live through the Cold War.

JC I think in real life people would be a lot more careful than just balls out burning the globe.

Sorry, but that's just not the way it was in the 1980's Cold War, as both sides had seriously flawed response systems that could have burned the entire globe. That's a fact, and what led to the nuclear disarmament movement.

Remember, this movie is not set in present day, but in the 1980's with impending nuclear war as its centerpiece.