• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Has My Thread Been Removed

290 posts in this topic

"Well I will reserve judgement on this one till we hear an answer from CGC, the annointer of the Dallas Stephens Pedigree, er oops did I say that er sorry."

If you think the DS books are a pedigree, you have not really read these boards.

I forgot its the Dallas Stephens COLLECTION devil.gif

Yeah, that's the problem - only people on this Board know that Dallas Stephens, Nic Cage, Stan Lee, etc aren't actually pedigrees. The rest of the collecting public DO think they're pedigrees - even Wizard magazine puts forth that they are. CGC should only note true pedigrees, not some "they submited a ton of books so we'll give them a provenance" crud.

Each and every book that was sold to Nic Cage was accomplaned by a letter that stated details such as Title, issue number, date of publication, significance, pedigree, condition and ANY INFORMATION REGARDING RESTORATION. I have a copy of each letter on file in my office. Nic's copies, I believe, are in the possession of his assistant in LA. In the entire collection, there were three books that we sold as unrestored that came back restored. In fact, there were two books that were sold as having sl. restoration that came back UNRESTORED. One of these books was the Fine November copy of Marvel #1. This book had a small sealed tear on the back cover.

As for grade, a bunch of books came back with higher grades. A bunch of books came back with lower grades. In fact, CGC was way too harsh with certain books from the collection and a number of those books were re-submitted later on and have been graded higher.

Now, let me comment on some of the things said in this latest thread.....

"I thought this column was about free speech !!!!!!!!!!! "

This is so untrue. Give the "freedom of speech" thing a rest, this is a CGC board and there are rules.

"We all have a right to know."

See the last answer.

"Metro pays CGC's rent with their yearly submissions.

Ian pis.se off Metro.

CGC pulls thread.

Seems simple. "

If that were the case, don't you think we would have pulled the thread 5 minutes into it? And also, pulled any and all threads that were negative about CGC's largest submitters and CGC itself? We let you all bash our submitters and CGC on a daily basis!

"Well I will reserve judgment on this one till we hear an answer from CGC, the annointer of the Dallas Stephens Pedigree, er oops did I say that er sorry."

If you think the DS books are a pedigree, you have not really read these boards.

You do understand that comments like this are made in order to solicit a response right? Without comments like this we usually get no response. Simply asking why a thread has been pulled doesn't cut it. thumbsup2.gif

Actually If memory serves, Nic Cage sold his collection to focus on another hobby, collecting automobiles, haha must be nice I guess Jay Leno finally got to him. But I still think its cool that he changed his name based on his fav, comic book character from his childhood. I mean we all call ourselves die hard collectors, but thats a pretty cool testament and hard to top.

Thanks for the quick reply to clear that up. So, you are basically saying that Nic Cage was pleased with the transactions he had with Metropolis and sold his collection for other reasons?

I heard that Cage was very pissed off about the Captain America #1 Mile High coming back restored and that words were exchanged about it.

Cage was not quite the astute collector though, as many pedigree books in his collection were not labeled as such by CGC and they went unnoticed in the Heritage auction. For instance, the Marvel Mystery #89 8.5 copy is the Mile High Copy. He paid about $6500 for it 6 years ago. I got it back for about $1400 or so.

There were many other pedigrees that Cage did not make CGC aware of, including many Big Apple's, Rockford's, a Pennsylvania and even a San Fransisco! Most of them I also picked up at bargain prices!

Urkle "Opps...did I do that?" 893frustrated.gifforeheadslap.gif

Timely

"I heard that Cage was very pissed off about the Captain America #1 Mile High coming back restored and that words were exchanged about it."

You've been around this hobby long enough to know not to spread rumors based on "I heard". 893naughty-thumb.gif

There were many other pedigrees that Cage did not make CGC aware of, including many Big Apple's, Rockford's, a Pennsylvania and even a San Fransisco! Most of them I also picked up at bargain prices!

I wouldn't worry about it, as Cage's last residual payment likely equalled our lifetime incomes. grin.gif

West

Your infomation is bad.

The Cap #1 was sold as having a tear seal closed. It is stated in the original paperwork that accompanied the sale. Also included was the xerox from original Mile High catalog that listed the book as having a small tear o/w NM/M.

In fact this book was sold to me as a completely unrestored copy by Mark Wilson shortly after he closed the tear. I had this book in my collection for many years before I realized it had a tear seal. As for the fable of Nic's reaction to the Cap#1 being placed in a purple holder, it is untrue. Never, at any point, did Nic contact me, in any way, regarding the topic of the Cap #1 being restored. This tale was fabricated by a dealer who shall remain nameless simply becase it "sounded good".

As for your belief that the Marvel #89 is the Mile High copy, I can tell you that it is not. The book you refer to, with regards to the the price of $6500, is #62. That book was the Mile High copy. The #89 sold to Cage was priced at $2000. This book came from an original owner collection of high grade gold that was discovered by Richard Semowich.

West

Your infomation is bad.

The Cap #1 was sold as having a tear seal closed. It is stated in the original paperwork that accompanied the sale. Also included was the xerox from original Mile High catalog that listed the book as having a small tear o/w NM/M.

In fact this book was sold to me as a completely unrestored copy by Mark Wilson shortly after he closed the tear. I had this book in my collection for many years before I realized it had a tear seal. As for the fable of Nic's reaction to the Cap#1 being placed in a purple holder, it is untrue. Never, at any point, did Nic contact me, in any way, regarding the topic of the Cap #1 being restored. This tale was fabricated by a dealer who shall remain nameless simply becase it "sounded good".

As for your belief that the Marvel #89 is the Mile High copy, I can tell you that it is not. The book you refer to, with regards to the the price of $6500, is #62. That book was the Mile High copy. The #89 sold to Cage was priced at $2000. This book came from an original owner collection of high grade gold that was discovered by Richard Semowich.

Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. As soon as I read the "Cage Marvel Mystery 89" was a "Mile High" I went and and looked at the Heritiage site. It looked like any other book to me. Why Timely would claim he bought it and it was undiscovered Mile High is beyond me.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Did I ever tell you about the imaginary Mile Highs I found? Oh, maybe later......

893blahblah.gif