• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seventy Four DCs To Go

57 posts in this topic

Which of the remaining 61 can't you find? As opposed to some of them that are presumably findable, but not at a price that you're willing to pay, eg, Det 27? I suppose the list that are findable but not affordable would be the shorter list, so maybe you can specify those?

I found a few Detective 27s that were all way too expensive.

And a Detective 2 in fair that was literally FOUR times guide, so I laughed and passed on it.

An Adventure 70 that was WAY too high grade and expensive.

Other than those three, I haven't found any copy of the others whatsoever.

You've put quite an impressive dent in your wantlist during the past month or two. You are just about to reach that stage where the "thrill of the hunt" becomes frustrating as some of those books, for whatever reason, remain elusive. Beside the naturally tough books like Big Book of Fun #1, Double Action #2 and Mutt and Jeff #2, I can see others being equally tough like It's Game Time #3, Buzzy #70, Falling in Love #69 and Western Comics #53.

For over a year I've been stuck needing 9 more comics to have all the Bazooka Joe comics from 1954-1970 (out of nearly 2,000 different). Patience and persistance is key. Do keep us informed. smile.gif

You've put quite an impressive dent in your wantlist during the past month or two. You are just about to reach that stage where the "thrill of the hunt" becomes frustrating as some of those books, for whatever reason, remain elusive. Beside the naturally tough books like Big Book of Fun #1, Double Action #2 and Mutt and Jeff #2, I can see others being equally tough like It's Game Time #3, Buzzy #70, Falling in Love #69 and Western Comics #53.

I've located a Western 53.

Now please tell me, what's so tough about Falling In Love 69 ???

This is the first I've ever heard about it being a tough book.

"Now please tell me, what's so tough about Falling In Love 69 ???

This is the first I've ever heard about it being a tough book."

Do you have it? smile.gif

I was just using it as a random example that the hardest books to find are the ones we don't have. I will be interested in seeing what you still need when you get down to 10-15 books needed. I think some of them will be surprising that they hadn't been located yet by that time.

I will be interested in seeing what you still need when you get down to 10-15 books needed. I think some of them will be surprising that they hadn't been located yet by that time.

Yeah - probably Batman Legacy Trade Paperback.

And Buzzy 34, Dale Evans 22, Date With Judy 15, Funny Stuff 37, Heart Throbs 66, Here's Howie 7, Western 37, Young Romance 128.....

Yes I think you're probably right. Ten dollar books that are IMPOSSIBLE to locate.

Ian, The Buzzy run caught my eye,I remember awhile back a column by "Expert & Collector" Michelle Nolan in Comic Book Marketplace "mag" about the Buzzy run ,and how hard the run was to put together ,especially Buzzy # 70 .Maybe it was a low print run ,I don't know ! But maybe Michelle is on these boards or someone knows how to get in touch with her .and she could maybe give you some leads to some copies."or advice on those last copies of books you need." Wish you the best completing your DC collection. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

By the way, I think I've located your mystery Mighty Mouse comic: Dell Giant #43 Mighty Mouse in Outer Space. I tried to find a scan on the web to post but Metropolis and Mile High don't have one! I saw the book in a comic shop today. tongue.gif

By the way, I think I've located your mystery Mighty Mouse comic: Dell Giant #43 Mighty Mouse in Outer Space. I tried to find a scan on the web to post but Metropolis and Mile High don't have one! I saw the book in a comic shop today.

What year was it ??? And I wish you'd bought it.

Ian, The Buzzy run caught my eye,I remember awhile back a column by "Expert & Collector" Michelle Nolan in Comic Book Marketplace "mag" about the Buzzy run ,and how hard the run was to put together ,especially Buzzy # 70 .Maybe it was a low print run ,I don't know ! But maybe Michelle is on these boards or someone knows how to get in touch with her .and she could maybe give you some leads to some copies."or advice on those last copies of books you need." Wish you the best completing your DC collection.

Not that it's the most desirable of titles, but does anyone else on here actually possess a copy of Buzzy 70 ???

I hear that Christine Farrell has two.........

Ian, are you also collecting all the Hopalong Cassidy comics published by Fawcett before they were DCs. I believe it was prior to number 86. Just curious since you are collecting the pre-DC Quality titles in which the numbering was continued.

Which of the remaining 61 can't you find? As opposed to some of them that are presumably findable, but not at a price that you're willing to pay, eg, Det 27? I suppose the list that are findable but not affordable would be the shorter list, so maybe you can specify those?

I found a few Detective 27s that were all way too expensive.

And a Detective 2 in fair that was literally FOUR times guide, so I laughed and passed on it.

An Adventure 70 that was WAY too high grade and expensive.

Other than those three, I haven't found any copy of the others whatsoever.

I thought I spotted an ad in CBG just a couple weeks ago that had a picture of THREE copies of Double Action #2 in it... (Of course, who knows if the dealer owned, or still owns, anything pictured in an ad.)

Or maybe it was in Overstreet or something. Anyone else recall seeing that ad? I'll check my CBGs, but I'm not confident that's where I spotted the ad.

Ian, are you also collecting all the Hopalong Cassidy comics published by Fawcett before they were DCs. I believe it was prior to number 86. Just curious since you are collecting the pre-DC Quality titles in which the numbering was continued.

No I'm not.

I'm not collecting every pre-DC title that DC ever took over, just selected ones that seemed to make sense, like Blackhawk and G.I. Combat. It was kind of done on a sort of gut reaction. Otherwise the door then opens to all the stuff like Whiz and National and Fawcett stuff. Or even Tarzan. And the list would be never-ending. The only Hopalong Cassidys I went for were the actual bona fide DC ones.

Okay, I was just wondering. BTW, I know that Tarzan was continued from the Dell numbering, Robin Hood Tales was continued from Quality and Young Romance was continued by Prize maybe even Young Love was continued but I don't think the numbering of Whiz or National was continued by DC. Apart from those, Hopalong Cassidy and the titles on your Pre-DC list I think those are all the titles in which DC continued the numbering of the previous publisher. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Okay, I was just wondering. BTW, I know that Tarzan was continued from the Dell numbering, Robin Hood Tales was continued from Quality and Young Romance was continued by Prize maybe even Young Love was continued but I don't think the numbering of Whiz or National was continued by DC. Apart from those, Hopalong Cassidy and the titles on your Pre-DC list I think those are all the titles in which DC continued the numbering of the previous publisher.

Both Young Love and Young Romance were continued by DC, and I shudder at the thought of ever wanting to buy over a hundred pre-DC copies of Young Romance. At least there were only 46 Heart Throbs pre DC.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif. Yeah, that would be painful to say the least. Probably only Michelle Nolan and Dan Stevenson have complete or near complete collections of those romance comics. I am surprised you aren't after the Robin Hood Tales since there were only a half dozen pre-DC issues.