• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seventy Four DCs To Go

57 posts in this topic

I assume this quest would have been next to impossible in the pre-ebay days. It must still be difficult though. I'm assuming you've bookmarked favorite searches for each of the books on ebay. Checking these weekly or bi-weekly probably wouldn't take too long unless you search in descriptions as well. Someone might have a lot of "100 old comic books" that contain one of yours, but you wouldn't know it unless you searched in the descriptions.

My other question is how much space does your entire collection take up? Do you know roughly how many long boxes it consists of or do you just have the books stacked floor to the ceiling in four or five rooms in your house? Seriously, I'm curious how many books we are talking about and how much space they take up.

Do you have them all listed in a spreadsheet or something? I'm just curious what the total # of books is. Sorry to ask so many questions, but I find your quest to be fascinating.

I was just thinking, with Ian's DC's, Shield's MLJ's, LucyBop's Archies, Nearmint's Nedor's and my Timely's we own about 1/2 the Golden Age!

So who wants to take the Centaur's, Fawcett's, Quality's, Lev Gleason's, Fiction House's and Fox's? confused-smiley-013.gif

Timely

I assume this quest would have been next to impossible in the pre-ebay days. It must still be difficult though. I'm assuming you've bookmarked favorite searches for each of the books on ebay. Checking these weekly or bi-weekly probably wouldn't take too long unless you search in descriptions as well. Someone might have a lot of "100 old comic books" that contain one of yours, but you wouldn't know it unless you searched in the descriptions.

My other question is how much space does your entire collection take up? Do you know roughly how many long boxes it consists of or do you just have the books stacked floor to the ceiling in four or five rooms in your house? Seriously, I'm curious how many books we are talking about and how much space they take up.

Do you have them all listed in a spreadsheet or something? I'm just curious what the total # of books is. Sorry to ask so many questions, but I find your quest to be fascinating.

I tried to collect them all right up until 1986, then just gave up till last year, although I kept them all, so I had a massive head start. So yes indeed, impossible pre-E-Bay.

I have a huge library room with aisles between the shelves, and they're all stacked neatly floor to ceiling flat, supported every foot upwards by a shelf. They take up a lot of space but look awesome. Andy from Golddust Comics, who's here on these boards, has seen them. I'm a bit of a neatness freak, so they all look meticulous and pristine. I would never keep them in boxes. Everything pre 1970 is in the light mylars called arklights, supplied by Bill Cole.

The total number of books is over thirty thousand.

Mike McVoiles at DC Indexes (www.dcindexes.com) keeps a weekly running total of exactly how many DCs there have been to date. It went over the thirty thousand mark earlier this year, and goes up by about sixty to eighty a month.

THE 74 DC COMICS I NEED TO COMPLETE THE FULL SET

ADVENTURE COMICS (1-12 is NEW COMICS, 13-32 is NEW ADVENTURE COMICS)

17, 22, 26, 27, 70

THE ADVENTURES OF JERRY LEWIS - 69

ALL AMERICAN - 89, 99

ALL FUNNY - 15

ANIMAL ANTICS / MOVIE TOWN ANIMAL ANTICS - 12, 45, 49

BATMAN LEGACY Trade Paperback

THE BIG BOOK OF FUN COMICS - 1

BUZZY - 34, 70

COMIC CAVALCADE - 15, 27, 60

DALE EVANS COMICS - 22

A DATE WITH JUDY - 15, 25

DETECTIVE COMICS - 2, 3, 4, 5, 27, 29

DOUBLE ACTION - 1, 2 (Number 1 is an ashcan)

FALLING IN LOVE - 4, 39, 69, 73, 79, 80

THE FLASH Original Series - 43, 82, 97

FUNNY STUFF / DODO AND THE FROG - 27, 28, 34, 36, 37, 85

GIRLS LOVE STORIES - 84

GREEN LANTERN (Golden Age) - 30

HEART THROBS - 66

HERE'S HOWIE - 7, 17

HOPALONG CASSIDY - 99, 115, 129, 134

HOUSE OF MYSTERY - 17, 27

IT'S GAMETIME - 3

LEADING COMICS (Becomes Leading Screen) - 20, 68, 77

MORE FUN - 10, 35

MUTT AND JEFF - 2

SCRIBBLY - 1, 6, 12

SECRET HEARTS - 3, 10, 66, 69

WESTERN COMICS - 26, 37, 53

YOUNG ROMANCE - 128

THE TWO GREAT DC MYSTERIES

DRAGONLANCE Annual - 1 (1990 - If it exists !!!!)

TALES OF THE TEEN TITANS ANNUALS - 5 (1987 - If It Exists)

DC PROMOTIONAL AND GIVEAWAY COMICS

ANIMANIACS EMERGENCY WORLD - 1

THE AQUATEERS MEET THE SUPER FRIENDS - 1

ATARI FORCE MINI COMIC - 5

BATMAN ADVENTURES BEST WESTERN EDITION - 1

BATMAN POPTARTS GIVEAWAY - 6 (The Penguin)

BATMAN PRELL SHAMPOO GIVEAWAY - 1

BATMAN RECORD COMICS - 3, 4, 5

BATMAN REVELL GIVEAWAY - 1

BATMAN CANADIAN MULTICULTURAL CUSTOM - 1

COMIC CAVALCADE GIVEAWAY - 3

DC DIRECT SHOWCASE - 4, 5

DC HORIZONS - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8

FLASH FORCE 2000 - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

FLASH TV BROCHURE GIVEAWAY - 1

FREIHOFERS COMIC BOOK - 1

HAPPY TOOTH - 1

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA MONOPOLY REPRINT - 1

KELLOGGS CINAMMON MINI BUNS SUPER HEROES - 3, 4

LOONEY TUNES CLARITIN PROMOTIONAL ISSUE - 1

LOONEY TUNES COLGATE PROMOTIONAL ISSUE - 1

LOONEY TUNES TYSONS PROMOTIONAL ISSUE - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

LIONEL PLAYWORLD DC SUPER HEROES - 4, 5, 6

MAGAZINELAND - 1

MAN OF STEEL BEST WESTERN EDITION - 1

MASK MINI-COMICS - 2, 3

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE DC PROMOTIONAL SERIES - 8, 9, 10, 11 (There are eleven and I got seven of them, but they're not all numbered.)

MICHAEL MOORCOCK'S MULTIVERSE Preview - 1

POWERPUFF GIRLS BURGER KING EDITION - 1

SHAZAM VISITS PORTLAND OREGON - 1

SUPERGEAR COMICS - 1

SUPERMAN ADVENTURES Preview - 1

SUPERMAN ADVENTURES TITUS GAME EDITION - 1

SUPERMAN AND THE GREAT CLEVELAND FIRE - 1

SUPERMAN KENNER GIVEAWAY - 3

SUPERMAN'S BUDDY - 1

SUPERMAN TIM - There are 70 and I only have 12 of them

SUPERMAN LANDMINES - 1, 2

SUPERMAN RECORD COMIC - 3, 4, 5

SUPERMAN GOLDEN PRESS - 1

SUPERMAN BRADMAN BIRTHDAY CUSTOM - 1

SUPERMAN WORKBOOK - 1

SUPERMAN MAN OF STEEL SPECIAL MPI EDITION - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

SUPER POWERS COLLECTION MINI COMIC - 22

SWORDQUEST - 3

TWISTED METAL - 1

WARLORD REMCO TOY GIVEAWAY - 1

WHAT DO YOU KNOW ABOUT THIS COMICS SEAL OF APPROVAL - 1

WORLDS FINEST 1944 GIVEAWAY - 1

WORLDS FINEST 1949 GIVEAWAY - 1

WORLDS FINEST BEST WESTERN EDITION - 1, 2

WORLDS GREATEST SUPERHEROES VITAMINS GIVEAWAY - 1

DC RELATED COMICS

BLACKHAWK / UNCLE SAM - 3, 5, 6, 33

MILITARY COMICS / MODERN COMICS at No. 44) - 16, 65

G.I. COMBAT (Pre DC) - 33

HEART THROBS (Pre DC) - 4, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 18, 19, 20, 23, 24, 26, 33, 35, 36, 38, 40, 41, 44, 46

Detective Comics 5 on Comiclink

Detective Comics 27 on Comiclink

I was just thinking, with Ian's DC's, Shield's MLJ's, LucyBop's Archies, Nearmint's Nedor's and my Timely's we own about 1/2 the Golden Age!

So who wants to take the Centaur's, Fawcett's, Quality's, Lev Gleason's, Fiction House's and Fox's? confused-smiley-013.gif

Timely

Interesting question -- Ian/Mike are keeping us well informed that there are 30,000 give-or-take-a-few-hundred DC issues that exist right now.

What are the totals for the other publishers? These old time publishers should have reasonably limited issue totals, but I don't think I've ever seen the info that I recall. Dell, Gold Key, Charlton, etc should be knowable totals for example...

And I wonder what the running total for Marvel is up to?

I had read that only gary Carter had a full run of DC's

He does ??????

Christine Farrell in New Hampshire has a virtually complete run.

A very knowledgeable older guy in Minneapolis called Jerome Wenker has every DC except for about 240, although some of his collection are coverless or incomplete, and he also has the Superman Bradman comic, probably the only person outside of the family themselves who actually has a copy. (Overstreet lists it at three dollars, when it must be worth a thousand times that amount).

My friend Richard at Quicksilver Comics has a customer in Northern England who's only a few hundred away.

I'm currently 59 to go, plus a bunch of giveaways. But I think that with the oddball stuff like giveaways and previews and premiums and books and mags and mini-comics and special editions, I've probably got the closest to a complete collection of every DC than anyone else. At least anyone else I've yet to hear about. And all my comics have at least front covers.

Detective Comics 5 on Comiclink

Detective Comics 27 on Comiclink

Unfortunately both are WAY WAY WAY out of my price league.

I can understand if you don't want to - or can't - answer this, but if you had to ballpark, how much do you reckon you've spent ? I tried to come up with some sort of estimate, but quickly gave up figuring it was impossible to work out.

I can understand if you don't want to - or can't - answer this, but if you had to ballpark, how much do you reckon you've spent ? I tried to come up with some sort of estimate, but quickly gave up figuring it was impossible to work out.

How could I begin to work it out when I had kept so many Golden Age that I acquired in the Seventies ???

Several All Stars, Detective 37, over ten Action Comics pre-number 100, New Adventure 13 and 31, several pre-hero More Funs, some Flashes, All Flashes, at least twelve Sensations and fifteen Star Spangled, several early Supermans and Batmans, a complete run of every Action Comics from 1958 to 1986 complete and inclusive, the same for Adventure, Superman, Batman, Worlds Finest etc etc, and every Justice League of America ever made. Just imagine if I'd had to start out without that kind of advantage ?????

How could I begin to work it out when I had kept so many Golden Age that I acquired in the Seventies ???

And not to forget my stunningly near mint golden age Green Lantern 16, the most perfect condition Golden Age comic with snow white pages that I've ever laid eyes on in my life, kept in a plastic holder since 1975.

And not to forget my stunningly near mint golden age Green Lantern 16, the most perfect condition Golden Age comic with snow white pages that I've ever laid eyes on in my life, kept in a plastic holder since 1975.

I owned the Mile High Copy of Green Lantern #16. CGC graded it 9.6 White. It was incredible!

Timely

I owned the Mile High Copy of Green Lantern #16. CGC graded it 9.6 White. It was incredible!

I've actually seen a scan of that. Mine looks better. Except it's got some stamp of a bookstore's address on the front cover, but other than that it looks like it came off the presses yesterday.

I've actually seen a scan of that. Mine looks better. Except it's got some stamp of a bookstore's address on the front cover, but other than that it looks like it came off the presses yesterday.

OK! I'll take that friendly challange! He's a scan of the Green Lantern #16 Mile High! Let's see yours!

Timely 346110-GreenLantern16.jpg

346110-GreenLantern16.jpg.fdc53221332de63d4ff80a989ed1c773.jpg

Several All Stars, Detective 37, over ten Action Comics pre-number 100, New Adventure 13 and 31, several pre-hero More Funs, some Flashes, All Flashes, at least twelve Sensations and fifteen Star Spangled, several early Supermans and Batmans, a complete run of every Action Comics from 1958 to 1986 complete and inclusive, the same for Adventure, Superman, Batman, Worlds Finest etc etc, and every Justice League of America ever made. Just imagine if I'd had to start out without that kind of advantage ?????

Sounds a lot like my collection in the '70s.It was fairly easy to get DC's runs from 1958 up. Add to that runs of House of Mystery, My Greatest Adventure, Tales of the Unexpected, Strange Adventures, Mystery in Space, complete House of Secrets, Flash, Green Lantern, Metal Men, Secret Six, Anthro, 893blahblah.gif I didn't stop with DCs. Add all Marvel and selected titles from most of the other companies too. Then there were the Undergrounds, Warrens, Giveaways,

insane.gif

(sorry to interrupt your thread) crazy.gif