• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stock market is at 1996 levels ..... so why can't I buy comics at 1996 prices?

96 posts in this topic

You aren't buying comics at 1996 levels because comic dealers and collectors weren't allowed to write comic default swaps on the value of the comics. Imagine what I could do if I could leverage my inventory 67 times it's value and borrow against it? Whoppee!

Party like it's 1999 or was that 1989 lol

Gene,

Maybe you bought lousy comic investments?

You turned down my attempts to post your stock portfolio against a comic portfolio years ago. Frankly one day you will look right. My 401K is down 50%, my comic inventory is not.

I hate to break it to you, but I have never treated my comics as "investments" (I'm the poster boy for "buy what you like"), my stock performance is still compounding at a healthy clip even after last year's tough market, and running a mock stock portfolio isn't really a fun or good use of my free time when I get paid to do it for real. (shrug)

If "one day I'll look right", as you say, at least I have that to look forward to. I am sure that "one day", a lot of people here will figure out that they weren't the Warren Buffetts they thought they were for investing in funny books. But, maybe I'm just an old fuddy-duddy who doesn't understand the "New Economics" where somehow comic books become the most valuable asset one can possibly own during a debt-deflationary depression. :sorry:

Like I said, everybody looks like a genius...on the way up. :eek:

I hate to break it to you, but I have never treated my comics as "investments" (I'm the poster boy for "buy what you like"), my stock performance is still compounding at a healthy clip even after last year's tough market, and running a mock stock portfolio isn't really a fun or good use of my free time when I get paid to do it for real. (shrug)

If "one day I'll look right", as you say, at least I have that to look forward to. I am sure that "one day", a lot of people here will figure out that they weren't the Warren Buffetts they thought they were for investing in funny books. But, maybe I'm just an old fuddy-duddy who doesn't understand the "New Economics" where somehow comic books become the most valuable asset one can possibly own during a debt-deflationary depression. :sorry:

Like I said, everybody looks like a genius...on the way up. :eek:

Your stock performance is compounding at a healthy clip? Really? What are your best performing stocks, Gene? :/

Have you been all cash for the last 6 months?

Deleting this...my record stands on its own. People want to know what I think, they can go read the "Gold price hits $500/oz." thread in the Water Cooler and they can judge for themselves how right or wrong I've been if they really want to. (shrug)

some of these super high grade comics could come down too, just imagine if there was a ton of newly discovered highgrade books in lots of old folks homes, increasing the supply and all. that would slow stuff downa bit

All it would take for the HG market to come crashing down is for CGC to go out of business. Noone is going to pay crazy multiples for a NM/MT book over a NM+ book...if there is no CGC to send it to.

Gene, you've claimed to be a financial genius for a number of years. I still remember some of those wonderful traveling shots of you flying around the globe. I've never claimed to be the Warren Buffett of comics and I've been buying and selling comics for years. I don't pitch comics as investments and I never sell them as such. I pay fairly and I try to sell fairly. I don't try to chase the highest or the best copy and have stuck to a market where I know what to buy and sell books for. Knowing what to pay is the same as knowing what stock to buy and at what price. However as I've said before I don't have a bunch of analyst's creaming my comic stock because a competitor runs a lousy business or misses his earnings estimate.

I don't think you are compounding at quite the rate you have in the past. I know you've done well with gold, the commodity market has come down quite a bit over the last year. There weren't too many safe places to park money in the last year so unless you were sitting in treasuries I doubt you are the exception on wall street.

Frankly I'm betting on a more debt inflationary depression considering the amount of money the federal reserve is printing up.

How do you get inflation when credit is imploding and the velocity of money is crashing? If it was so easy to get inflation just by ballooning the money supply, Japan wouldn't have fought deflation for two decades. Just looking at the expanding size of the Fed's balance sheet is missing fully 2/3rds of the true picture. Inflation may eventually be a concern, but it's not now, which is why the price of virtually every asset around the globe is falling. :eek:

I never said last year was a good year, only that you don't have to worry about my long-term track record. And I wouldn't make any assumptions about what my performance looks like by what those markets you point out are doing. (shrug)

Why can't we all just get along? :foryou:

The folks who won were the high grade folks who either had excellent restoration noses or got really, really lucky.

the folks who won were the ones that cherry picked ultra high grade bronze during the 1990's, when you could buy a 9.2 to 9.8 Neal Adams cover for $1 because it was not broken out in the guide (only books with Adams interior art were broken out)

bronze was not worth restoring for the most part, if you cherry picked ultra high grade bronze in the 90's, you won when CGC was created

Well...with all respect, my comments were really about silver and gold, but high grade bronze disappeared from the market in the very early 90's almost as fast as high grade silver disappeared in the late 80's. I'm not disputing your overall assertion, but I'm fairly certain there were no 9.8 caliber bronze books in the dollar boxes after about 1992, with the odd exception.

And you have to make the distinction between pre-1975 and post-1975 books, as well. post-1975 books are fairly common, and fairly low priced, in relation to their pre-1975 bronze counterparts.

Gene, you are like the guy at the craps table betting against the shooter. Frankly I love nothing more than to bust those guys. You come across as always being negative all the time yet share little. Naturally that's your job full time so you have to be positive about something to invest in, even if you are shorting stuff.

I would be more open to you stating that people show a little more caution or as I've said "Stop drinking the auction koolaid" that is currently going on right now.

I would be more open to you stating that people show a little more caution or as I've said "Stop drinking the auction koolaid" that is currently going on right now.

STOP DRINKING THE AUCTION KOOL-AID!! BUY FROM BLAZING BOB'S HIGHGRADECOMICS.COM!!

Friends again? :foryou:

believe it or not, I have actually had a decent last month selling on ebay. i only ran a couple of auctions, but i have done o.k. with store sales, selling two books that i had repeatedly listed here and on ebay at $24.99 for $40 and $35, respectively as well as other miscellaneous odds and ends.

Gene,

I would be your friend even without this post. I would say the same things to Brian if he posted the same way or said things to me that I disagree with.

I don't begrudge you warning people to be careful, somehow I wish it would come out differently. And that applies to me as well.

Fair enough. Where's the handshake graemlin when you need it. ????

Hey Gene... :hi:

Hey John! I went back to Churrascaria Plataforma a week ago...it was awesome. :cloud9: