• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Christmas cover

37 posts in this topic

Garth,

> when you say that you believe the cover of that ish is the only one from a longer Barks story to have survived, I assume you're referring to the original art..? Who owns it?

Yes, that's what I meant. There is a (small) handful of Barks WDCS cover rejects from the 1950s that still exist but I believe the actual art for FC #367 survived (don't know who owns it).

When I worked for Disney myself, I came to appreciate how important it must have been for Barks to have worked in the Disney story department back in the 1930s. Their story and animation departments have some of the most brilliantly creative, hard working, competitive, and fun people I've ever met - watching them work together and learn from each other was incredible. When I read stories by Barks and by other Disney comic book artists, the qualities that you had to learn to survive a storyboard review clearly shine through in Barks' work.

Agreed, hkp... and that's why Donald Duck #26 is so fascinating... I believe it was the only time Barks was directed to write/draw a story based on a cartoon (the "Witch Hazel / Trick or Treat" 'toon). As I understand it, Barks had to re-draw some panels, including the opening, because they were deemed to scary/dark by the folks at Disney. He also had to incorporate some of the gags from the cartoon, and apparently was too keen on the whole experience. The final result was gold, though, like most everything else he did.

ecfanman, mushroom:

Christmas in Shacktown is one of my favorite Christmas stories of all time. I remember reading it as a kid back in Denmark and being very puzzled about the poor people (probably one of the first times I was exposed to that subject). I believe the cover is the only Barks cover from a longer story to have survived.

shiver:

Thanks - I like to see what other people collect and am glad you've enjoyed my own scans. Here's another Christmas classic (posted this last year but it's still one of my favorites):

http://www.hhkkpp.com/mmv33.jpg'>mmv33_s.jpg

Couldn't ask for a nicer Christmas image of Mickey. As you said - classic!

Yup, a great story too. Funny you should mention the censored

splash planel - I bought the original art for that earlier this year.

!!! And what exactly do we need to do to get you to post a scan of that panel?!? I've seen it, but only reprinted and not very big... post it, post it!

In tribute to FC 367, which is one of my favorite books, I present a rough prelim Barks did for the Oil painting. Note the horizontal layout, which allowed for the image to include the complete train, and additional shacks. The final oil went back to the vertical layout to mirror the comic book cover. Click here to see the full-size scan (actually, a composite of 4 scans as the thing is too big to fit on my scanner!).

barks_small.jpg

Did my PM response get back to you, Steve?

lol, on the Lobo pic. Personally, I like the Hitman and Hot Wheels covers best. Although, for some unknown reason, I read that stupid Paramilitary special every year.

Chris