• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Demise of the local comic shops

86 posts in this topic

14th and 7th? whats the name of this spot? I never heard of it. I frequent Midtown Comics, Jim Hanley's and Bulletproof Comics in Bklyn. I used to go to Metro Comics in downtown Bklyn as well. They have a decent stock of back ssues last ive been there.

Roger's Time Machine. Was there last week when in NYC on holidays. Tons of comics, very few CGC graded or high grade but lots to look at. Not much for GA but I picked up Thrilling #4 and #14.

Let me add one final element to my rambling: service. If you have outstanding service, you can build a loyal clientele that will return year after year, even if they potentially can save a few bucks elsewhere.

Sadly, nowadays though, not only is great service quickly disappearing but so is the customer loyalty it is supposed to engender. :(

I can't tell you how many shops I've been to where there is zero customer service. There used to be five shops where I live. Now there are only two, both operated by the same person.

There is nothing that will make me take my dollars somewhere else faster than getting crummy service, being treated poorly, or knowing a snake is running a store. I've been to shops where they've gladly taken my money, tossed ym books in a bag, and cared to not even whisper "thank you." Or how about the shop where you walk in and the person working there doesn't greet you, doesn't bother looking up from whatever it is they're doing, or doesn't even mumble, "Can I help you find something?"

Sure, store owners and employees have bad days, but you are running a business that is supported by a customer base and your customers should be numero uno at all times. I know that some comic book customers can be, well, let's say challenging.

Pertaining to those particular people you provide a service to that you do not much like, one of the best pieces of advice I have ever received from someone was this: You don't have to care, just act like you do.

I will always go with the shop that treats its customers like gold (thumbs u Jive's "ramble" is spot on.

Paging Stu.Stu to the customer service booth please.

Sorry if this is gonna sound ignorant but do online stores buy books cheaper than LCSs? Just what is the cost of modern floppies anyway? Do stores buy at 1$ & sell at 4$ or is it more like 3.50$ sell at 4$ ? Just curious cuz I'm also looking into getting into the biz in Canada where there is really NOTHING in the way of cool stores.

Let me add one final element to my rambling: service. If you have outstanding service, you can build a loyal clientele that will return year after year, even if they potentially can save a few bucks elsewhere.

Sadly, nowadays though, not only is great service quickly disappearing but so is the customer loyalty it is supposed to engender. :(

I can't tell you how many shops I've been to where there is zero customer service. There used to be five shops where I live. Now there are only two, both operated by the same person.

There is nothing that will make me take my dollars somewhere else faster than getting crummy service, being treated poorly, or knowing a snake is running a store. I've been to shops where they've gladly taken my money, tossed ym books in a bag, and cared to not even whisper "thank you." Or how about the shop where you walk in and the person working there doesn't greet you, doesn't bother looking up from whatever it is they're doing, or doesn't even mumble, "Can I help you find something?"

Sure, store owners and employees have bad days, but you are running a business that is supported by a customer base and your customers should be numero uno at all times. I know that some comic book customers can be, well, let's say challenging.

Pertaining to those particular people you provide a service to that you do not much like, one of the best pieces of advice I have ever received from someone was this: You don't have to care, just act like you do.

I will always go with the shop that treats its customers like gold (thumbs u Jive's "ramble" is spot on.

Absolutely. I will actually pay a premium if I need to for good customer service. I'm not going to bicker over a few bucks but if someone is willing to provide service I will support them loyally.

Sorry if this is gonna sound ignorant but do online stores buy books cheaper than LCSs?

I believe the price from the distributor is the same - however, online shops don't have the overhead costs that a B&M store do, so they can offer deeper discounts and make the same (or better) profit margin. And usually, the cost from the distributor is somewhere near 50% of cover.

-slym

Absolutely. I will actually pay a premium if I need to for good customer service. I'm not going to bicker over a few bucks but if someone is willing to provide service I will support them loyally.

Maybe it's ingrained "Southern hospitality," but of the numerous times I have worked in retail (twice at the same comic shop) I always make sure to make eye-contact with a potential customer as soon as they are fully in the store, and give them a "Hello, how are you?" or something to that effect. You would NOT believe how many people say that I am one of the only people who still do that.

(shrug)

-slym

I was in a Home Hardware store tonite looking for a flash light. I spent all of about 40 seconds looking at a wall and comparing lights when the manager came over to help me.

He was so eager to help that I ended up buying everything I could possibly think of and more and will be back any time I need something. Even if I can buy it elsewhere cheaper I will make sure I purchase it at his store. I don't even care about the prices...this guy has my business for as long as I live near by.

It's true that many companies lose touch with their clientele. Kudos to you slym.

I was in a Home Hardware store tonite looking for a flash light. I spent all of about 40 seconds looking at a wall and comparing lights when the manager came over to help me.

He was so eager to help that I ended up buying everything I could possibly think of and more and will be back any time I need something. Even if I can buy it elsewhere cheaper I will make sure I purchase it at his store. I don't even care about the prices...this guy has my business for as long as I live near by.

It's true that many companies lose touch with their clientele. Kudos to you slym.

Your experience runs so counter to what most of use have become accustomed to as "customer service".

I used to work as a service and quality supervisor at Dell, and believe me, it was near impossible to impart the importance of providing friendly and prompt service to a member of the "video game generation" (18-25 year olds). They were excellent techs, but they had all the personality and service-oriented vigor of a wet muskrat. They just didn't get the fact that fixing the customer's problem wasn't enough...you had to fix the customer himself, his perception of the brand, and the willingness of the company to stand behind its product with prompt and friendly service.

The fact is, if they weren't raised to believe in such lofty ideals, I sure as heck wasn't going to convince them of their importance.

14th and 7th? whats the name of this spot? I never heard of it. I frequent Midtown Comics, Jim Hanley's and Bulletproof Comics in Bklyn. I used to go to Metro Comics in downtown Bklyn as well. They have a decent stock of back ssues last ive been there.
I am 99% sure he is referring to Roger's Time Machine.

Yep, Roger's Time Machine. Roger's the man, I don't see how a LCS owner could do a better job. If you're looking for pristine presentation and firm clearly marked prices, try Midtown. If you want a cool store Time Machine's the place to go.

I did a quick search last night and found this article about NYC shops that was a fun read.

The Comic Book Stores of NYC

Cool! They have some great stuff to say about Time Machine. In one of the pictures, you can see the Justice League #3 and America's Best Comics #13 I bought from him.

I did a quick search last night and found this article about NYC shops that was a fun read.

Cool! They have some great stuff to say about Time Machine. In one of the pictures, you can see the Justice League #3 and America's Best Comics #13 I bought from him.

And the Thrilling #4 I picked up last week.

thrilling04.jpg

"and works out a price, always a good deal over the current Overstreet list."

I think you meant VERSUS (or compared to or relative to) not "OVER". Roger's Time Machine usually whacks a chunk off guide. He's good about that.

Ouch, exactly what I meant! :blush:

The people who run the local shop are models for the comic guy on the Simpsons.Groenning(sp) was from this area.Makes me laugh everytime I see the show.

And the Thrilling #4 I picked up last week.

thrilling04.jpg

That guy's naked chest is scary!

That guy's naked chest is scary!

Is it the fact that he has no nipples?

I found the degree his head is turned MUCH more alarming!

-slym

Or the fact that you noticed? Starting to scare me slym. ;)