• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STRAY BULLETS

10 posts in this topic

Stray Bullets #1 was DA BOMB. It was funny and violent, and so exciting. The bold black lettering on the bright red cover is almost iconic. And it was worth $20 once upon a time. A friend of mine had a copy when it came out, I read it, and we went on a city-wide odyssey trying to find a copy for myself. I remember we went to 13 or 14 comic shops in one day (never considered phoning), but I can't remember if we found one. I think we did. There aren't even half as many comic shops in town these days, that's how that goes. But a second printing came soon after, so watch out for those. The series went through some ups and downs, long breaks between issues. Eventually a continuity emerged and longer storylines came out, which I think took some of the fun out of it (especially when the last ish was 5 months ago and you can't remember what happened).

I don't know if it was ever officially pronounced dead, but there hasn't been a new SB in years. There were 37 issues altogether I believe. There were 3 oversized hardcovers collecting the first 24 or so, they're great but since he never collected the rest they are kind of oddball. I think there are TPBs, but I don't imagine the whole series would be too expensive to pick up, a well spent dollar improving your collection.

Amy Racecar was a character in it, and she had a couple books of her own come out, the second of which I remember being really excellent. Essential supplements to the run.

And if you like SB, try Lapham's "Silverfish" graphic novel. It'd fit in perfectly with the SB world, though I guess officially it's not. And there was a 9 or 10 issue series called Murder Me Dead which was more Lapham-noir.

I collected the series until I quit collecting moderns back in 1999. Really enjoyed the series & how it jumped around to different time lines each issue. I fully expected that after 50-75 or so issues that you would have been able to rearrange the books according to the timeline & form a complete storyline. I guess it never got to that point, but it was still an excellent read.

I loved Stray Bullets. Very cool book.

It was David Lapham's self published comic and he's gone on record that he's been to busy with his personal life and his work for the big companys to finish the series. (He's got to pay his bills, plus he has kids.)

He's currently putting out a comic called "Young Liars" for DC under their Vertigo line.

(thumbs u

has anyone read this, STRAY BULLETS?

was it good? how does it compare to some of the better comics out today?

i'm thinking of picking up a complete HC version at me LCS.

How complete is "complete"? I didn't even realize that a complete HC edition existed. doh!

There were 40 issues, but only 32 of them ever made it into TPBs. I'm still trying to get a full run together so I can read the whole thing -- and it has been surprisingly difficult to track them all down.

It's a GREAT series, though. I highly recommend it.