• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta painting on Ebay

77 posts in this topic

assuming that person is still willing and able to spend that much. who's to say that they haven't moved on to other things.

You mean like running the state of California? :P

These are offers, but what about realized sales?

If the owner of all the pieces worth more than a million dollars won't sell those pieces, how can there be any realized sales?

assuming that person is still willing and able to spend that much. who's to say that they haven't moved on to other things.

You mean like running the state of California? :P

I almost said that very thing in my post. Offers of crazy money in the 70s are great and are good information to have but aren't necessarily indicative of offers today. I mean that's THIRTY years ago. Hey maybe finding million dollar buyers would be easy as pie, but until the Frazettas actually sell one who's to say.

These are offers, but what about realized sales?

If the owner of all the pieces worth more than a million dollars won't sell those pieces, how can there be any realized sales?

Uh, you are assuming I knew that Frazetta is not selling (not even one of) his most prized paintings. I was merely asking for examples of paintings sold in the 7 figures, is all.

I don't believe that any Frazetta painting has yet achieved that lofty goal, and at this point probably won't anytime soon

whatever offer Ah-nold or Ralph Bakshi tabled back then are probably expired

Many collectors and dealers have been there.

the "hey, I'll give you 10k for that (enter whatever item) whenever you want to sell it" offer for something you don't want to sell

invariably more than 75% of the time when you call them back 6 months later it's "Ah, hey.. I was interetsed then, but I'm passed that stage"

or

"I just spent all my cash.. can't afford it. but I'll call back when I can" and of course, you never hear from them again

furthermore, extrapolating that because Bakshi offered Frank (or Ellie, however you look at it) $250k for something in 1977 doesn't mean that painting is worth a million today or that he would consider offering a million today. His personal economy in 1977 had alot to do with offering 250k. But he hasn't made a movie in 25 years and directing TV cartoons is not nearly as profitable as producing your own films.

Are there really any Frazetta paintings really worth a million bucks today?

the answer is: not unless there is someone who is willing to put out that million right now, this minute. Absent that "whoever" the answer is NO.

whatever offer Ah-nold or Ralph Bakshi tabled back then are probably expired

furthermore, extrapolating that because Bakshi offered Frank (or Ellie, however you look at it) $250k for something in 1977 doesn't mean that painting is worth a million today or that he would consider offering a million today. His personal economy in 1977 had alot to do with offering 250k. But he hasn't made a movie in 25 years and directing TV cartoons is not nearly as profitable as producing your own films.

It wasn't Bakshi that made the offer, I didn't say that....it was Bakshi and Frank talking about Dino DiLaurentis making that offer in Painting with fire. Dino's been producing films (that we've heard of) for over 40 years on a constant basis.

And the guys making these offers..Arnold, Lucas, Spielberg, DiLaurentis...could buy several at this price level and never notice the money wasn't there anymore.

Chris

And the guys making these offers..Arnold, Lucas, Spielberg, DiLaurentis...could buy several at this price level and never notice the money wasn't there anymore.

True, but they're all a lot older now. Dino is 89 years old according to Wikipedia. Arnold is a family man in his 60s and a prominent politician now - it might not even be something he would do just to avoid opening himself up for criticism in this economy given the fiscal crisis in California, even if he was still interested. I think it's more likely that a 7-figure buyer of a Frazetta would be a late 30 or 40-something, an Eric Roberts type as it were (I wouldn't be surprised at all if he was the guy who made the offer on the Egyptian Queen, would you?)

Actually, I wonder how vigorously even any of us will still be pursuing OA when we're in our 60s and beyond. I suspect that a lot of stuff that we "couldn't live without" in our 30s and 40s will likely not be top of mind 20-30 years from now as our lifestyles and priorities change. (shrug)

I have know Frank and Ellie for the past five years and consider them good friends. I have been in the unique position of watching others negotiate with Ellie to land some of their prized paintings. For all intents and purposes anything in the museum is off-limits regarding direct sales. I, and others (with much deeper pockets), have attempted to get both major and minor works from them. They are fortunate to be in a position where they don't really need the money and can be very particular about what they wish to sell. Even when given a tremendous offer (the Forbes offer comes to mind), they have politely declined.

That is one of the reasons why collectors have paid high sums for quality oil paintings. There are very few in private hands.

My 2 cents

Actually, I wonder how vigorously even any of us will still be pursuing OA when we're in our 60s and beyond. I suspect that a lot of stuff that we "couldn't live without" in our 30s and 40s will likely not be top of mind 20-30 years from now as our lifestyles and priorities change. (shrug)

Who knows? I think I would've been pretty surprised if you told 20-year old me that I'd still be collecting in my 40s.

Who knows? I think I would've been pretty surprised if you told 20-year old me that I'd still be collecting in my 40s.

And...Dino made his offer to Frank when Dino over 60...so there is hope for all of us and our collecting gene.

C

You know...every year I tell myself that I will slow down my buying and maybe even start to sell off a few pages...and every year I seem to buy more pages , and more expensive pages too. When will the madness end? Probably when I quit working and start living on a fixed income....nah...probably when I am dead. Heh.

Last year Ellie told me that she was offered over 1 million for Egyptian Queen from a well know art collector. She declined.

I can confirm that. she told me the same thing.

The AllStar market report in OSPG 39 mentions the sale of "Escape From Venus" (selling for $ 251 K )and calling it a record at auction for the artist.Nadia also mentions the sale of "King Kong" at over 200 K. Just thought I'd share it.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u