• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frazetta painting on Ebay

77 posts in this topic

Fantastic piece. Perhaps because of inexperience, I thought Frazetta's prime work went for almost seven figures.

This painting is great but it's not one of the ones that will go for 7 figures.

If this were The Deathdealer, Dark Kingdom, Conan the Barbarian, Conan the Destroyer, Frost Giant, Swamp Demon or something like Egyptian Queen or a few others you would see a fight at seven figures to be sure.

C

Fantastic piece. Perhaps because of inexperience, I thought Frazetta's prime work went for almost seven figures.

If this were The Deathdealer, Dark Kingdom, Conan the Barbarian, Conan the Destroyer, Frost Giant, Swamp Demon or something like Egyptian Queen or a few others you would see a fight at seven figures to be sure.

C

I didn't think his work sold for that much.

Are there any recorded sales over 250k ?

C

I didn't think his work sold for that much.

Are there any recorded sales over 250k ?

He's been offered far more than that for several of his works by some of the biggest names you could imagine....Lucas, Spielberg, the Governator....

C

He's been offered far more than that for several of his works by some of the biggest names you could imagine....Lucas, Spielberg, the Governator....

Sly Stallone, too, no? I wonder, though - weren't most/all of these big offers made 10-20 years ago? All of these guys are really starting to get up there in years and I wonder how much they are still actively collecting. I mean, how many people worry these days about getting outbid by Steven Spielberg at a Heritage auction... :juggle:

Sly Stallone, too, no? I wonder, though - weren't most/all of these big offers made 10-20 years ago? All of these guys are really starting to get up there in years and I wonder how much they are still actively collecting. I mean, how many people worry these days about getting outbid by Steven Spielberg at a Heritage auction... :juggle:

I'm not sure that advancing age prevents someone from being an avid collector. I'd guess that Eli Broad is older than any of those guys, and he was still a major player in the fine art market, no?

Anyways, even if those particular guys are getting too decrepit to lift their hands to write checks meh , is it too farfetched to believe that the following generation of directors/actors with similar tastes and interests (e.g., Brian Singer, Zak Snyder, Michael (shudder) Bay, etc.) wouldn't also be similarly interested?

Yeah, but Eli Broad is retired from the homebuilding business and runs an art foundation and devotes all of his time to art & philanthropy. He isn't, for example, running the State of California. :baiting:

There are still plenty of fine art collectors in their 60s and up, because (a) you need to have amassed a large amount of money to collect it, (b) it keeps you in the right social circles, and © the plan to get rid of it is fairly straightforward - donation to a museum or foundation or sale at a major auction house. No offense at all to Frazetta, but I don't think his work is collected in the same way.

I wonder how many of us will still be actively buying OA in our 60s. I'm sure I will still love and appreciate it, but I suspect I will have quit buying sometime in my 40s or 50s at the latest and will have moved onto other things. Like reading glasses and Geritrol. :yeahok: Seriously, by the time I'm in my 60s, I'm probably thinking more about the eventual disposition of what I own versus wanting to add to my collection. Unless I have a kid who shares my appreciation for this stuff, it would be difficult to imagine myself still buying stuff I coveted as a 13-year old when I'm an AARP member.

As for Hollywood's new generation of directors, I don't think they necessarily had the same influences and interests growing up 2-3 decades later, but you never know what they might be interested in. For now, though, I'm not too concerned that the guy outbidding me on stuff is Michael Bay. :P

I don't think it's for lack of interest...I think it's when you make an offer over a million dollars for a piece and you are shot down and told "Not for Sale" before the words are out of your mouth you don't keep making offer after offer.

Lucas is one of the more prolific art collectors you will ever hear of, but we'll never know exactly what he has in the collection. He has an arm of Lucasfilm with several employees and a large budget set up exclusively for buying cataloging and preserving his artwork. Age, time, makes no difference.

You'll never see any of them at an auction either, and since the animation art thing that Spielberg went through they take great pains to make sure no one ever knows that it's them bidding.

C

For now, though, I'm not too concerned that the guy outbidding me on stuff is Michael Bay. :P

Even if it was, do you really think you would know?

And I think it`s pretty clear that Brian Singer and Zak Snyder, among others, were extremely influenced by comics and sci-fi/fantasy.

Even if it was, do you really think you would know?

Yes, when it ends up on Dave Mandel's or Eric Roberts' CAF site instead. :sorry:

And I think it`s pretty clear that Brian Singer and Zak Snyder, among others, were extremely influenced by comics and sci-fi/fantasy.

You can use such fanboy logic sometimes. For 99.99% of people, being influenced means having read the source material, maybe through a TPB or buying the comics off the rack as a teenager. If you want to get really crazy, maybe they even went through a "bagging and boarding" phase. It's a quantum leap of a stretch to get into the whole world of CGC slabs and original art and hanging out on websites like this. :doh:

Anyway, were these guys influenced by Famous Monsters of Filmland, Mad Magazine and EC Comics or were they influenced by Chris Claremont's X-Men, Frank Miller's Daredevil, Alan Moore's Watchmen, etc.? Do all paths lead to Frazetta? Have all the AF #15s and great Spidey original art gone into Sam Raimi's and Tobey Maguire's collections over the past 5 years? As far as I can tell, whenever a really nice OA page or comic book comes up for auction, it invariably ends up in the hands of one of the "usual suspects" - it doesn't disappear into a celebrity's black hole collection. And could you blame them? If you were Zack Snyder or Tobey Maguire, would you be hanging out here or exploiting your Hollywood superstardom in the usual hedonistic ways? (shrug):makepoint:

Why don't celebrities buy comic-related art? It's simple... it has no cache with their jet-setting friends. They'd much rather show off a Warhol or Picasso than some unknown artist who scratched some pen and ink on a stained piece of paper, or a guy who did fantasy artwork. Could you seriously see a top-tier celebrity putting Death Dealer on his/her wall?

I really think it comes down to influence. These people are normal people like the rest of us. If one of us was the Turtle of the group (Entourage reference) and we were pushing our love for Comic Art on them, there would probably be some interest. I think a lot of it has to do with access. If DiCaprio was a buddy of mine and I convinced him of how cool this stuff was, maybe I'd be buying for him. And if Leo put it up on his walls and his friends came by and wanted to copy and follow Leo's cool new hobby, it would probably have some legs. Lets not forget that Graham Nash was a big collector way back when...and there are definitely some people in the entertainment industry in this hobby, but they probably aren't trying to get their friends interested -- because they don't want the competition!

I could see Ozzy Osboune rocking out with the Death Dealer painting hanging in his Beverly Hills mansion ....... or better yet, a vintage cover to Ironman (think about that one for a second). :headbang:

Cheers!

N