• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

32 pages in a comic

4 posts in this topic

A recent post described how when a comic was removed from a slab there were 2 pages that had been 'removed'.

CGC could purchase a sensitive weighing machine. Digital ones are very accurate. Weigh the book, and if it comes back over 5% lighter than a complete one, then alarm bells should ring. Much quicker than counting the pages.

I would imagine that over 5% really means something major is missing. Small chunks out would not add up to this.

Don't get me wrong, pages should still be counted. But the weight check would concentrate the mind of a pre-grader.

A recent post described how when a comic was removed from a slab there were 2 pages that had been 'removed'.

CGC could purchase a sensitive weighing machine. Digital ones are very accurate. Weigh the book, and if it comes back over 5% lighter than a complete one, then alarm bells should ring. Much quicker than counting the pages.

I would imagine that over 5% really means something major is missing. Small chunks out would not add up to this.

Don't get me wrong, pages should still be counted. But the weight check would concentrate the mind of a pre-grader.

Impossible considering the endless variations in comic book sizes, paper stocks, preservation and page counts. You'd have to have thousands of "base" weights and even then I'm not sure it would work. Silver Age Marvels of the same issue and number could easily vary in weight by more than 5% based solely on the shape they were in coming off the press.