• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much $$$ would someone make if they bought at cover price all of a series?

16 posts in this topic

As an example... If a person bought a complete volume of, lets say FANTASTIC FOUR's from volume 1, at cover price, what would that be worth now?

Comparing the original cost spent to what a average grade set would be worth now. How much would that person expect to make? Or how much should they sell for?

Also. What would be the most expensive series. Superman? Spider-Man? Detective Comics? Other? confused.gif

Also. What would be the most expensive series. Superman? Spider-Man? Detective Comics? Other? confused.gif

I'd guess Detective would be the most expensive series.There are a LOT of very expensive Detectives and it's very long running.

I'd guess Detective would be the most expensive series.There are a LOT of very expensive Detectives and it's very long running.

I'd go with Four Color, the sheer number of books in the run makes it hideously expensive.

I'd go with Four Color, the sheer number of books in the run makes it hideously expensive.

Yeah, how many pages is it in the price guide? That'd be a train wreck to collect.

I don't know about most expensive though. How many of those $50-500 Four Colors (the majority of the run) does just one 'Tec 27 eat up? Then you've got Detective 1-20, 22, 28-41, 45, 58, 64, 66, 140, and 225 that all guide for over $4000 (including TEN that guide for more than Four Color #9.) There are over a hundred Detectives that guide for more than $1000.

How many of those $50-500 Four Colors (the majority of the run) does just one 'Tec 27 eat up? Then you've got Detective 1-20, 22, 28-41, 45, 58, 64, 66, 140, and 225 that all guide for over $4000 (including TEN that guide for more than Four Color #9.) There are over a hundred Detectives that guide for more than $1000.

I thought about saying the "Duck books" (Four Color, I couldn't remember the title) originally. But when I thought about it, Rob's reasoning is why I agreed w/ him. So many big $$$ books in just the first 50 Detectives.....

Chris

Speaking of which, is there anyone out there putting together a run of Four Colors? I know people collect subsets (like Barks' ducks, etc.) and individual issues based on the subject, but is there anyone out there trying to put together a run? I'm sure there must be, I've just never run into them.

Speaking of which, is there anyone out there putting together a run of Four Colors? I know people collect subsets (like Barks' ducks, etc.) and individual issues based on the subject, but is there anyone out there trying to put together a run? I'm sure there must be, I've just never run into them.

You know I actually thought about trying this when I bought the new guide and the pages of Four Color Comics really got my collector juices flowing....

Then, I sat down had two shots of whiskey and hugged my complete Fantastic Four Byrne run....

You know I actually thought about trying this when I bought the new guide and the pages of Four Color Comics really got my collector juices flowing....

Then, I sat down had two shots of whiskey and hugged my complete Fantastic Four Byrne run....

sign-funnypost.gif

Overstreet used to list the top 50 titles by guide value. The 21st edition is the last I have with a listing, but I'm missing 22-25. I don't really think the cover price is going to make much difference to the equation. What is the cover price for a full run of Detective's ? Probably less than any of the first 100+ issues.

For what it's worth, the 21st (1991) listing was:

1 Detective $227,810

2 Action $130,489

3 More Fun $110,270

4 Adventure $104,948

5 Marvel Mystery $88,806

6 Batman $85,564

7 Four Colour $83,781

8 Superman $78,264

9 Captain America $63,975

10 All American $55,550

The same guide also lists a comparison table with 1986 and 1971.

In 1986 it was - Detective, Action, Marvel Mystery, Four Colour, More Fun, Superman, Adventure, Captain America, Whiz, All Star (Batman=11th).

In 1971 it was - Four Colour, Adventure, More Fun, Detective, Marvel Mystery, King Comics, Action, Famous Funnies, Tip Top, All Star (Superman=13th, Captain America=17th, Batman=19th, All American=24th).

By 1991, King was 35th and Tip Top was 37th.

All American's rise would seem to be down purely to a rise in issue 16.

What would the most expensive Silver Age title be? Showcase, ASM, FF? Based solely on the Silver Age years Showcase would be up there based on high number of extremely high value keys (9 out of the top 25 Silver Age books in terms of value), but I'm not sure the longevity is there for the run as a whole.

The same guide breaks down for GA and SA, but this is '91 so it's way out of step.

1 Spiderman $19,931

2 Showcase $17,917

3 FF $13,651

4 Strange Adventures $13,066

5 Flash $9,980

6 Tales To Astonish/Incredible Hulk $9,155

7 Brave & Bold $7,821

8 Green Lantern $6,944

9 Justice League $6,703

10 X-Men $6,566

Fun to look at, but not sure it's any use.

The earlier comparators:

1986 - Showcase, FF, Spiderman, B+B, Flash, Sugar+Spike, TTA/Hulk, Richie Rich, X-men, JLA (Green Lantern 11th, Strange Adventures not in top 40).

Don't know what happened between '86 and '91 to prop Strange Adventures up. By '91, Sugar+Spike were 12th and Richie Rich was 21st.

Actually, a long time ago I decided to try to get a Four Color run. I pick up decent but lower grade copies at decent prices when I can find them, but I don't really go out of my way. I have about 800 to go so this will be a LONG term project.

It might be worth taking a look at the most recent edition of Wizard Magazine to answer the FF question. In the back (price guide area) they had a nice rundown on what an entire collection of FF's would cost you to accumulate in todays market..