• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Got my paycheck today! PGM New Vampirella #1!

83 posts in this topic

Nice one David! About the time I joined the boards is when I got mine and you had been bidding on it also.

This looks like a STRONG 9.2 to me and on a good day might even see a 9.4. I'm pretty good at calling mags and unless there's something that's not showing in the scans it's an easy 9.2

How on earth can this hit a 9.4 with all the scuffing on the back cover spine?

For a few reasons, Mike:

1) It's a deep red cover and the appearance of scuffing is enhanced by the scan;

2) Magazines, unlike comics, particularly large saddle-stitched ones, have (for lack of better words) a bulbous spine, and some stack scuffing on these is almost universally present;

3) Mag grading takes into account the nature of the size of the book and the production qualities associated therewith;

4) And finally . . . cuz' it's mine now! lol

It can't be a 9.4...Divad only collects 9.2s... :makepoint:

What's the point of SS if you get it on the title page?

Let me get my book signed and authenticated, but do it on an inside page, then seal it forever. If you crack the book to enjoy the sig, the authentication is gone. :screwy:

Get it signed on the cover. No doubt in this case the sig is greater than the book will ever be.

Well, that's the whole problem with SS... you have a perfectly nice, autographed comic book... locked away forever never to be read/touched again except by CGC staff if you have it sent in to have the micro-chamber changed ever 7 years.

The point of getting a sig. is the novelty of having the work signed by one of the artists/writers who created it, not to ruin the work with a hideous ink stain on the most prominent part of the work (the front cover). For sakes, signing the back cover would be better, but I've never seen anyone do it.

Anyway... back to the topic... that mag rules.

This has been discussed ad nauseum and I have expressed my views but I always go back to how books are signed...freakin author signs on the inside, not on the freakin cover...and in this case there's not even any (usually) artwork to mar... :sumo:

9.0 Probable 9.2 IMHO. That is a very sweet book Divad... Congrats...

Vampi 1 Frazetta SS possibility by any chance?? :cloud9:

I'd hate to see such a nice copy scribbled on.

BF - I have to agree, in spite of the monetary reward, I just can't endorse signatures . . . it's against my religion :)

Amen brotha! :headbang:

SS is fine for moderns and even bronze because they're so common

SS is ok for gold/silver too, so long as the sig. is in the margin of the splash page - I've seen some pretty nice covers ruined with gold ink right through the title. Pretty short-sighted if you ask me!

What's the point of SS if you get it on the title page?

Let me get my book signed and authenticated, but do it on an inside page, then seal it forever. If you crack the book to enjoy the sig, the authentication is gone. :screwy:

Get it signed on the cover. No doubt in this case the sig is greater than the book will ever be.

:screwy: Sigs are worthless . . . :sumo: Have you even ever BEEN to Nantucket??? lol

Dude, I'm FROM Nantucket.

Perhaps you've heard of me. hm

Lots of horny cougars in Nantucket :gossip:

:cloud9:

I must say it is far nicer than mine!!! lol

9.4 for this beauty,,,

I own a complete set,lovingly removed from the binders I got 'em in about 18 years ago.. :sick:

very,very nice..is the issue 3 just as sweet?

I own a complete set,lovingly removed from the binders I got 'em in about 18 years ago.. :sick:

They weren't hole-punched, were they???

:o

-slym

sadly,yes :cry: ..but the complete run plus some extra eeries was only a sawbuck back then

jcpcb

Was your book this copy?

hm

I shall call him...

Miami Dice

(worship)

a624_1.JPG -

I contacted seller via email and this was the response i got. The pics match Davids pics exactly even the backgrounds. Sound a little fishy.

Had huge catastrophe,my Sons dog got hold of it,destroyed it and #3...lucky I had two # 3s...but only one #1..I bought that book at bookstand the day it came out,,my Son paid me but Iam sick,I would never sell my collection but times are hard...I have almost ever issue if theres any your looking for..sorry Jim.

lol...people get so carried away with their stories.

BTW Divad I wasn't trying to say anything about you I just love how these boards know where every book has been! It's actually a great service!!

Dang, I haven't heard that story since High School, but it was always homework back then. lol

Nice book, I hope you are right about that wear, I had similar wear on a Vampi #6 that was very nice otherwise, flat, sharp corners, only bad was pq, and it got hammered down to an 8.0 :(

vampi6_8.jpg

Here is mine, not sure if it is quite as nice as yours. I don't think the back on yours is quite as bad as the scans make it appear. The red is weird and shows stuff in a scan that is barely noticeble to the naked eye. Not sure of the grade, but I know it looks much better than my 8.5.

vampi1a.jpg

vampi1b.jpg

It's headed to cgc Monday along with some other books, some that I have been in search of for a while. I think I have an Eerie #8 that will finally grade higher than my two 9.0's, a nice Eerie #23 that should be 9.2 or better, and a couple After Hours from 1957, the #1 is probably a VF, but the #3 is a totally awesome 9.4 or so and there are none graded for that issue.

However the After Hours #1 does have a great Bettie Page centerfold. (I censored it for the boards)

For those that don't know, it was Jim Warren's first publication.

bettie.jpg

:o WOW, Divad first off congrats on such a killer copy of Vampi numero uno.

I've seen a lot of peeps on this thread worry about the scuffing on the back, but I know from being a Mag collector that this was QUITE common on the books coming off the presses and resting in their stacks. And as far as I know CGC does not hammer the book for that because it is so common.

Those corners are pretty darn amazing for being a magazine. I'm nearly speechless. The spine is very tight looking with only the slightest of breaks.

I'm thinking that it get's a NM- 9.2. I would cry if it got a VF/NM 9.0 and would not be suprised if it was housed in a 9.4 slab.

Again congrats! (worship)