• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you make of this rant?

36 posts in this topic

I recently bought a CGC slabbed book and the seller offered me a few other books, one of them being graded by PGX.

While I'm very interested in the book I'm not willing to lay down a few hundred bucks and take a gamble on this book. I politely reiterated to the seller that I graciously decline just because of the fact that the book is graded by PGX and I've heard enough horror stories and feel somewhat uncomfortable laying out big cash for a PGX book.

This is the response I received back from the seller. Discuss :popcorn:

The rumors are just hype about PGX, I have had nothing but good dealing with them. CGC is NOT consistent whereas PGX is. I have sent the same book in to CGC and gotten THREE DIFFERENT GRADES. The rumors were started to keep CGC on top as the grading company that is linked to big dealers for OVERCHARGED MONEY. The "little guy" always has trouble with an older established company. Even CGC says that there "grading is subjective" . You should look at the website and compare turnaround times and prices and courtesy. These are the sites:

www.pgxcomics.com & http://www.cgccomics.com/. Compare the prices and you will see that it is CGC and the dealers promoting CGC to keep getting EXTRA money out of the collectors.

The funny part is I have sent some books in from Metropolis Comics, WHO INVENTED THE 0.5 - 10 GRADING SCALE, and they downgrade their books and they are the inventors. CGC is POLITICAL, nothing more, nothing less. The ones snapping up PGX graded books are CGC owners whom buy them and break them out of the cases and then send them to CGC to be regraded and put into a CGC holder to make more money. I am slowly but surely getting out of the comics collecting arena. especially with the way the economy is with 12.5 million people out of work, and Circut City just closed 567 sto res adding another 12,500 to the unemployment figures. lol! One cannot EAT comic books, nor can one read them enclosed in a protective covering. lol! The whole fun in the hobby is getting to READ the books.

The seller is obviously PO'ed that his PGX books don't command the same price as their CGC equivalents, because claiming that the only difference between CGC & PGX is their pricing structure is ridiculous.

Oh, well, head in the sand & all that.

It reminds me of this ebay message I received from one my ebay listings (on all CGC books, I have this at the bottom "Book has been graded a XX by CGC, the only grading company worth trusting"):

If you actually believe that CGC is the only grading company worth trusting, you must be either a friend of someone with CGC or completely ignorant. Either way, I would never buy a thing from you for putting that statement on your listing and I'm very certain I am not the only buyer that feels this way.

I could only hope that PGX would sue you since they are the only other grading company and a completely reliable one at that. CGC is no better or worse and I know that first hand. CGC only charges twice as much and has absolute lousy turn-around time.

I wrote back & directed him towards this URL:

http://www.justafanboy.com/PGX/

And got this reply back:

Well damn.

What can I say... Color me enlightened. mess, who woulda thunk it? Thanks for the info, I really had no clue. I can't get over that. Damn.

My apologies.

He states "The whole fun in the hobby is getting to READ the books"

So why is he selling CGC and PGX books? hm

Because he's keeping his raw books to read? (shrug)

As Mica already mentioned.......that rant is pretty mild.

Mr Malaka

:roflmao:

Malakas (Greek: nom. μαλάκας, voc. and acc. μαλάκα, μαλακισμένε, fem. μαλάκω, μαλακισμένη) is a slang word, whose literal translation is wanker but the usage of the term varies widely from the equivalent British English term. A more appropriate rendering covers a much broader spectrum of applications, including both English equivalents of arsehole or jerk or or son of a person_without_enough_empathy, and the contrasting friend or pal or dude, or mate depending on the context.[1] It derives from the Greek word malakos (μαλακός), which means "soft" or "spoilt, well-used to luxuries of life".[2][3][4] It is one of the most frequent words picked up by tourists and travellers to Greece and is not unusual amongst the younger Greek diaspora, even when the level of Greek is low. The feminine version is a recent coinage; even though it is used less often it reflects the change in gender relations in modern Greece (so that now women can also be addressed in this way).

I've only ever bought 1 PGX book. Well....they were CGG at the time. It was a 9.4 W copy of X-MEN 130. Came back a 9.6 OW/W from CGC.

There are also nice high grade runs of the following that were graded in mid 2006 by a local collector from an OO stash that I snagged. Unfortunately, in order to turn them around in time for the post X-Mas frenzy I also sent two groups of books in to PGX in November (December 2006 grade dates) that were all undergraded. If you see any PGX copies that were slabbed during December 2006 you should do well with a resub.

Conan #1-5 (mutliple copies of each issue - including a 9.2 copy of #1 that is more likely a 9.6 that I flipped before resubbing :frustrated:doh! )

Iron Man #1-20

Sub-Mariner #1-13

Daredevil (a few issues in the 40s, 50s and 60s)

Captain Savage #1-18

Hawk & Dove #2-4

and a few others.

After sending the next groups of books from this OO stash to CGC I realized what a huge mistake it was to use PGX, but it was too late for most of the best books in the collection.

The sad thing is, the guy who I snagged these books from had sold off 6 complete runs of Silver Surfer before I found him, with the one set he sent in to PGX coming back 9.2 to 9.6 in grades.

Mr Malaka

Malakas (Greek: nom. μαλάκας, voc. and acc. μαλάκα, μαλακισμένε, fem. μαλάκω, μαλακισμένη) is a slang word, whose literal translation is wanker but the usage of the term varies widely from the equivalent British English term. A more appropriate rendering covers a much broader spectrum of applications, including both English equivalents of arsehole or jerk or or son of a person_without_enough_empathy, and the contrasting friend or pal or dude, or mate depending on the context.[1] It derives from the Greek word malakos (μαλακός), which means "soft" or "spoilt, well-used to luxuries of life".[2][3][4] It is one of the most frequent words picked up by tourists and travellers to Greece and is not unusual amongst the younger Greek diaspora, even when the level of Greek is low. The feminine version is a recent coinage; even though it is used less often it reflects the change in gender relations in modern Greece (so that now women can also be addressed in this way).

It also means soft...and not in a good way.