• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watchmen Opening Title Sequence...

34 posts in this topic

I saw The Watchmen last weekend and LOVED the opening title sequence! :cloud9:

There were some obvious iconic images that were recreated in the sequence like:

--> LIFE Magazine's famous cover of a soldier and nurse kissing (redone with lesbian hero Silhouette kissing the nurse)

--> The Last Supper (Silk Spectre's Retirement Dinner)

--> Kennedy's Assassination (with The Comedian as the sniper on the lawn)

But did anyone else pick up on other, more subtle reinterpretations of events like the very first event in the sequence?

I believe it's the hero The Owl protecting Bruce Wayne's parents from the gunman in the alley as they emerge on the far left side of the screen.

Google "Watchmen Title Sequence" or "Watchmen Credits" to find the video online and post your thoughts.

Out of context with the movie itself, and how it compares to the book, etc, etc.,

that opening sequence is virtuoso film making (thumbs u

It is a brilliant use and blending of music and imagery.

Personally, I love the cops standing with Silk Spectre I and trying their best not the check out her "assets". They can't help themselves. lol

C

Out of context with the movie itself, and how it compares to the book, etc, etc.,

that opening sequence is virtuoso film making (thumbs u

It is a brilliant use and blending of music and imagery.

Agreed! :headbang:

Being a multimedia designer, I always love watching (and studying) sequences like this one to try to figure out what they're doing and how they're doing it! :)

I believe it's the hero The Owl protecting Bruce Wayne's parents from the gunman in the alley as they emerge on the far left side of the screen.

I noticed the Batman#1.. but wow, never saw the Waynes in the corner with Alfred. But wheres little Brucie?

But did anyone else pick up on other, more subtle reinterpretations of events like the very first event in the sequence?

In the screen next to Nixon there's a clock being moved forward to ten minutes till midnight, representing the Doomsday Clock.

Appropriate touch.

I thought this as well, but when I said something to my boyfriend, he commented that it wouldn't make sense since the scene also had posters up for Batman 1.

When I was watching that, I swore Ozymadsaod (I cant ever remember how to spell his name) was either outside a gay bar, or in a gay parade.

For the youngsters in the forum...That was Studio 54..it was THE night spot in the 70's,.and it had David Bowie, (someone who looked like) Freddie Mercury, and the Village people. hm

So I can see how you thought it was a gay bar.

C

I thought this as well, but when I said something to my boyfriend, he commented that it wouldn't make sense since the scene also had posters up for Batman 1.

I think the Batman posters was a tipoff to teh rest of the scene. Zorro posters might have worked a bit more cryptically.

When I was watching that, I swore Ozymadsaod (I cant ever remember how to spell his name) was either outside a gay bar, or in a gay parade.

For the youngsters in the forum...That was Studio 54..it was THE night spot in the 70's,.and it had David Bowie, (someone who looked like) Freddie Mercury, and the Village people. hm

C

Actually that was David Bowie, Mick Jagger, and The Village People (as well as random hookers) outside Studio 54. It really played up (sort of) the possibly gay theme for Ozymandias, since they didn't explore it in the movie.

3346079870_9d89039645.jpg

Edit:

attachmentnw4.jpg

I'm still torn on this scene. I want to believe its the Wayne's and Alfred (especially since it has the Gotham Opera House) but it throws me off with the Batman poster.

I think the Batman posters was a tipoff to teh rest of the scene. Zorro posters might have worked a bit more cryptically.

I completely agree with this. The whole purpose of the posters, IMO, was to reinforce the association recall, just in case someone might have missed it in that brief moment.

C

Actually that was David Bowie, Mick Jagger, and The Village People (as well as random hookers) outside Studio 54. It really played up (sort of) the possibly gay theme for Ozymandias, since they didn't explore it in the movie.

There is of course a persistent rumour that Bowie and Jagger slept together. Snopes partially debunks it, but the implication is there.

I completely agree with this. The whole purpose of the posters, IMO, was to reinforce the association recall, just in case someone might have missed it in that brief moment.

So where is little Bruce Wayne?

I missed a lot of this as i was busy trying to take it all in. Definately require studying further. when manhattan was on the lawn meeting kennedy who was in that original shot.

loved the sequence. definately one for fanboys and girls to pick over for years to come. Neil