• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turn Off the Oven, Watchmen is DONE!

124 posts in this topic

Wow, a box office drop of almost 80% compared to last Friday, which is pretty :censored: horrible (even record-breaking tanks like The Hulk didn't crack 70%) and with weekend estimates in the $15 million range (and likely lower) I believe this may set a new record for a big-budget studio movie tank from the first to second weekends.

Watchmen was also pounded out by both Race to Witch Mountain and Last House on the Left, while Taken, a surprise hit that has been out forever, was in fourth. Yeesh. doh!

I didn't especially like the movie that much, and thought Snyder screwed it up royally, but I didn't realize that word-of-mouth was this horrible on the movie.

Actually, the Wolverine movie will likely do just fine. Remember, Wolverine has a broader appeal to more people (as do the X-Men).

When I heard the movie got mixed reviews or whatever... and that fan response was a little tepid, I thought that it shouldn't come as a surprise. Watchmen is a great work to most fanboys -- but in reality -- in terms of widespread crossover, it isn't slick and cool like Iron Man and doesn't have the fan base of non comic fans like Spidey or Wolverine.

Hope this doesn't effect Wolverine origins, I already know I want to see part 2 and 3, it has to be good, it just has to!

I don't think it will. I'm fairly certain mainstream America is used to both good, and not so good comic movies. Since we had Iron Man and The Dark Knight last year, and they did so well, most people will most likely look over Watchmen. (That made a lot of sense in my head, not so much typed out.)

However, I hope this doesn't start a trend. Last year comic book movies were really great, even Hulk was pretty good. This year comic book movies may suck, unless Wolverine is really super amazing.

Wow, a box office drop of almost 80% compared to last Friday, which is pretty :censored: horrible (even record-breaking tanks like The Hulk didn't crack 70%) and with weekend estimates in the $15 million range (and likely lower) I believe this may set a new record for a big-budget studio movie tank from the first to second weekends.

Watchmen was also pounded out by both Race to Witch Mountain and Last House on the Left, while Taken, a surprise hit that has been out forever, was in fourth. Yeesh. doh!

I didn't especially like the movie that much, and thought Snyder screwed it up royally, but I didn't realize that word-of-mouth was this horrible on the movie.

Keep in mind all the fanboys that went to all the midnight showings last Friday helped inflate the opening day numbers. I was fully expecting a 50% drop off, but yeah, 80% is pretty harsh.

Still haven't seen it. Will go at some point. No big deal if I ultimately catch it on DVD.

:whatev:

Hey I am not trying to hype anything up but, I just want it to be half way decent you know. Wolverine is a good solid character. I don't think movies are going to suck this year, GI joe, Star trek..c'mon.. ;) By the way, hope you'ved enjoyed yourself so far...

Hope this doesn't effect Wolverine origins, I already know I want to see part 2 and 3, it has to be good, it just has to!

I don't think it will. I'm fairly certain mainstream America is used to both good, and not so good comic movies. Since we had Iron Man and The Dark Knight last year, and they did so well, most people will most likely look over Watchmen. (That made a lot of sense in my head, not so much typed out.)

However, I hope this doesn't start a trend. Last year comic book movies were really great, even Hulk was pretty good. This year comic book movies may suck, unless Wolverine is really super amazing.

I have high (as in pie-in-the-sky Fanboy high) hopes for G.I. Joe, but just as a popcorn flick with some nostalgia attached, not because I think Ray Park is going to win the Oscar for his amazing dialogue. meh

When I heard the movie got mixed reviews or whatever... and that fan response was a little tepid, I thought that it shouldn't come as a surprise. Watchmen is a great work to most fanboys -- but in reality -- in terms of widespread crossover, it isn't slick and cool like Iron Man and doesn't have the fan base of non comic fans like Spidey or Wolverine.

No, it's just not a very good movie. Something like V for Vendetta, which is virtually unknown as a property and was marketed similar to an independent, but is a much, much better movie and still managed to eke out a nice $70 million domestic (on a $50M budget) and its $60+ million will probably beat Watchmen's total worldwide.

That's where quality comes into play, as V was the little movie that could, while Watchmen is just a mish-mash of flashy and very expensive crepe.

I have high (as in pie-in-the-sky Fanboy high) hopes for G.I. Joe, but just as a popcorn flick with some nostalgia attached, not because I think Ray Park is going to win the Oscar for his amazing dialogue. meh

:roflmao: He said 'amazing dialogue' :roflmao:

JC you neglected to mention the foreign BO was woeful

I know, it's absolutely horrible - tanking worse worldwide than domestic (and with very high distribution/promotion costs, the movie will likely LOSE money overseas), but I laid off that angle so that the Snyder fanboys didn't slit their wrists too early in the morning.

I know, it's absolutely horrible - tanking worse worldwide than domestic (and with very high distribution/promotion costs, the movie will likely LOSE money overseas), but I laid off that angle so that the Snyder fanboys didn't slit their wrists too early in the morning.

Seriously though, who the heck is a "Snyder fanboy"?

I think that being rated R is a huge factor in this movie.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

300, same director, same R rating, similar openings:

Domestic: $210,614,939

+ Foreign: $245,453,242

= Worldwide: $456,068,181

:roflmao: He said 'amazing dialogue' :roflmao:

Yes, pun fully intended. :hi:

Lego definitely, or he's connected with the movie somehow.

No, it's just not a very good movie. Something like V for Vendetta, which is virtually unknown as a property and was marketed similar to an independent, but is a much, much better movie and still managed to eke out a nice $70 million domestic (on a $50M budget) and its $60+ million will probably beat Watchmen's total worldwide.

That's where quality comes into play, as V was the little movie that could, while Watchmen is just a mish-mash of flashy and very expensive crepe.

Never read the graphic novel, and found the movie to be a very tedious and borderline silly way to spend my time. It will be quickly forgotten.

V for Vendetta was much better.

Lego definitely, or he's connected with the movie somehow.

I didn't know such creatures existed, I'll have to spray around the house again tomake sure the little buggers don't get in.

Never read the graphic novel, and found the movie to be a very tedious and borderline silly way to spend my time. It will be quickly forgotten.

V for Vendetta was much better.

V is one of the few "comic" movies that has great rewatchability. (thumbs u