• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turn Off the Oven, Watchmen is DONE!

124 posts in this topic

I've never read Watchmen & have yet to see the movie. I almost picked up the trade the other day....but I glanced inside & the artwork sucked monkey balls.

If only Humberto Ramos had drawn it! doh!

I usually agree with you B, but c'mon - monkey balls? Dave Gibbons is better than that - I could name at least 100 artists worse than him. His art too simplistic for ya?

Saw it last night with my wife who does not read comics but who I made read the book beforehand. She enjoyed it except for the last 10 minutes or so. While she does not generally enjoy movie endings, I had to agree with her. The ending was weak just as the GN's ending was weak. We were both in agreement that the rest of the movie was good not great. We also agreed that it was too character driven for the general American public.

As for its legs, the movie suffered from a perception problem. Most people don't know the story going in. So they have to base their opinions on trailers which I believe play up too much of the action part. Once inside the theater, the movie is not an action flick. It's not My Dinner With Andre but it's going to leave a good chunk of people wanting.

My wife and I appreciated it for what it was, a character story set in the superhero milieu.

I agree with most of this.

If you went to see Watchmen looking for standard superhero fare, you will be disapointed.

If you understand the themes of the work, it is a fantastic story.

I liked the movie and thought Snyder did a bang up job.

We are all anxiously awaiting your masterpiece. Since you're obviously smarter and more talented than anyone else who ever lived, it should be world-changing. :popcorn:

Ah, the old "you're not allowed to critique anything unless you can do better" fanboy stupidity. :roflmao:

Good luck with that strategy, and I hope you have an MD so you can operate on yourself, a law degree so you can represent yourself in court, a degree in Dentistry so you can do your own teeth, an few Accounting designations for any gov't or business forms, skill and certification for car/motorized vehicle repairs, a full education in the finest chef's schools to cook your immaculate food, along with about a thousand other skills and degrees, as obviously you adhere to your own "I can do anything better than anyone" mantra, right?

Nerds, ya gotta love 'em. doh!

Even though the conversation has went well beyond this type of addition I will say I saw the movie in a group of 6 with only two of us knowing anything about the back-story and all 6 people liked the movie. Three of the six were girls and I actually think they liked it better than the guys.

I enjoyed it. Sure the CGI was iffy at best but I thought the costumes were great. Rorschach's mask mimicked how it acted in the book well and the scene with the 'classic' hero's was extremely well done. Some parts of the story could have been condensed but I enjoyed how it was drawn out. It should be said though that a super-hero movie (even if it is not one but is labelled one) that is three hours long and rated R might not be the best of ideas in terms of creating a box office draw.