• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Human Torch #1 on pgcmint

15 posts in this topic

cgc 9.4...and only $135K.

And to think I sold mine last week for a mere $125K! I knew I should have waited. Then again, I can always buy it back for peanuts in the crash of '04....

Out of curiousity, would most forum members prefer an HT 1 in 9.4 or a Ferrari?

And to think I sold mine last week for a mere $125K! I knew I should have waited. Then again, I can always buy it back for peanuts in the crash of '04....

To heck with the car! I was once offered a BMW in trade for my Superman #1 and turned it down. I still have the Supes but that BMW is probably in the scrap heap. However, I did once trade a bunch of comics for a van that lasted me 16 years. That van is now disposed of and the comics I traded for it are worth about 10 times what they were then. How I regret that trade. 893frustrated.gif

To heck with the car! I was once offered a BMW in trade for my Superman #1 and turned it down. I still have the Supes but that BMW is probably in the scrap heap. However, I did once trade a bunch of comics for a van that lasted me 16 years. That van is now disposed of and the comics I traded for it are worth about 10 times what they were then. How I regret that trade. 893frustrated.gif

I take it the books weren't some early 80's ASM that were worth a $1 and now worth $10. At least you got 16 years out of the vehicle, that's not too shaby.

Yep, it has to be a flip from Heritage I think. There's only one CGC 9.4 of that book and it just sold through Heritage a few weeks ago (I think). Unless pgcmint was the original owner and it didn't meet his reserve...

Is that a flip from Heritage?

Yeah, that is the book from Heritage. Now doesn't Marky realize that everyone knows the book sold for around 70k? And that everyone who is someone was paying attention to that auction? What is he smoking to make him think some mope is going to come along now and pay nearly DOUBLE what he just paid for it?

Yeah, that is the book from Heritage. Now doesn't Marky realize that everyone knows the book sold for around 70k? And that everyone who is someone was paying attention to that auction? What is he smoking to make him think some mope is going to come along now and pay nearly DOUBLE what he just paid for it?

news.gif It's simple...sometimes nobodys buy high end books...

I take it the books weren't some early 80's ASM that were worth a $1 and now worth $10. At least you got 16 years out of the vehicle, that's not too shaby.

I did at least get good use out of the van so that would be the bright side. I would have been better off just getting a loan and making payments though. The comics I traded had an Overstreet value ('86) of $14,000. I knocked off 30% and in return got $4,000 plus a newer van whose engine seized up within 3 months. Repair took half the money.

Comics included SA Green Lantern #1 (NM), Superman #4-8, Detective #44-46 (all NM), and a bunch of others. I cringe every time I look at the list. At least the guy wasn't interested in Marvels and only took DCs. He had an impressive collection including Adventure #100 up. He sold out a couple years later to Metro, I believe.

Lesson learned: cars are BAD investments. insane.gif

I'm sure he dosen't expect to turn it over any time soon. This isn't the type of book that is likely to pop up, so there's nowhere else to go if you want a 9.4 copy of this book. Do you really think that every big time buyer is present for every auction, all of the time? My guess is that he won't get his sticker price, but eventually someone will crack and make him a pretty good offer on the book. There dosen't seem to be any need for him to rush.

$135k seems extreme. IMO, Subbie #1/Torch/Cap Am #1 guide for too much. Asking this type of price and multiple are just bad for the comic market. It creates a high profile book with no buyer in sight.

interesting statement... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif