• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

highest price for Dave Cockrum art?

28 posts in this topic

It doesn't matter what that cover sold for -- it was a private right place/right time deal for the buyer and seller. I also don't think when it sold vs where the market was matters either as that cover is iconic and would always command a top dollar amount that would be an outlier to any other sales.

It's also a perfect example of the type of art that becomes very quietly available and then very quietly goes into someone's collection where they keep the ownership private. You simply can't compare those deals to those made publicly as the circumstances are entirely different.

Exactly, like when I sold you that jar of Steve Ditko's hair clippings that you were going to send to that South Korean cloning doctor. It was just between us and I am sure I could have gotten more for it at Heritage.

:insane:

C

It doesn't matter what that cover sold for -- it was a private right place/right time deal for the buyer and seller. I also don't think when it sold vs where the market was matters either as that cover is iconic and would always command a top dollar amount that would be an outlier to any other sales.

It's also a perfect example of the type of art that becomes very quietly available and then very quietly goes into someone's collection where they keep the ownership private. You simply can't compare those deals to those made publicly as the circumstances are entirely different.

Don't disagree with anything you're saying here. I was just thinking that someone out there might infer that the cover was sold for "cheap" (not saying Dan was implying that, either). It wasn't, especially given where the market was when it was sold.

In general, though, private sales are best for those sellers who want to get over FMV. All it takes is one motivated buyer. There are guys in the hobby who wheel and deal quite successfully...but never publicly, like most dealers. Always behind-the-scenes. But I'm sure you knew that already ;)

Don't disagree with anything you're saying here. I was just thinking that someone out there might infer that the cover was sold for "cheap" (not saying Dan was implying that, either). It wasn't, especially given where the market was when it was sold.

In general, though, private sales are best for those sellers who want to get over FMV. All it takes is one motivated buyer. There are guys in the hobby who wheel and deal quite successfully...but never publicly, like most dealers. Always behind-the-scenes. But I'm sure you knew that already ;)

Sorry if I implied it went cheap. None of these numbers is cheap...! And, yes, prices seem to have risen dramitically since then for any Cockrum Xmen cover.

Hey Felix, what I wrote wasn't directed at you, but rather just commenting in general. You're usually right, so arguing is often futile.

I'm starting to see what a roll of the dice it is to sell a specific piece through a specific venue. I'm beginning to think that for some pieces, auctions are the best way to go. Private sale? Auction? You just never know and hindsight is 20/20. The main problem with auction houses though is the time from submission to actually getting paid. eBay is another story. Private sales are usually the best way to go if you have a buyer and need the money fast.

Sometimes you offer art up privately, but then do much better at auction. Sometimes you put something up for auction that you could have done much better on privately. And sometimes you luck out and sell through the right avenue at the right time and get a price you know that you couldn't have gotten elsewhere.

It really is a gamble.

Hey Felix, what I wrote wasn't directed at you, but rather just commenting in general. You're usually right, so arguing is often futile.

lol

Do me a favor and talk to my wife, willya? :insane:

I'm starting to see what a roll of the dice it is to sell a specific piece through a specific venue. I'm beginning to think that for some pieces, auctions are the best way to go. Private sale? Auction? You just never know and hindsight is 20/20. The main problem with auction houses though is the time from submission to actually getting paid. eBay is another story. Private sales are usually the best way to go if you have a buyer and need the money fast.

Sometimes you offer art up privately, but then do much better at auction. Sometimes you put something up for auction that you could have done much better on privately. And sometimes you luck out and sell through the right avenue at the right time and get a price you know that you couldn't have gotten elsewhere.

It really is a gamble.

It's only a gamble if your overriding concern is to get the MOST possible. Of course, all of us would like to get the best price we can when we sell...and none of us wants to lose money...but sometimes it's good enough just to sell the damn thing, get what you can, and be done with it.

Now, that's speaking from a collector's standpoint...someone who sells art in order to buy other art. If someone is in the hobby strictly to profit...to buy low and sell high...then yes, other considerations apply.

Personally, although I've gotten a lot of art privately (and often paid a hefty premium to secure it), I prefer to buy art that is offered publicly (esp Ebay). Less potential for shenanigans.

Yeah, I've owned a few Cockrum (and Byrne) X-Men covers over the years...what can I say, they're great looking covers from great issues...I still love em, but I personally had little interest in the 102...nice, but not a personal fave...