• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2 Questions CGC Slab Storage... and Ideal Relative Humidity

21 posts in this topic

I just picked up a really nice cedar chest that is pretty much shaped like a long box. The only problem with it is I cannot store my CGC slabs upright. Are there any downsides to storing slabs stacked on each other? would this method cause case cracking? How about storing them on their sides? That way I could still have easy access to each book without having to remove the ones on top. Would storing slabs vertically on their sides cause damage to the books in any way on the long term?

Second part, I just bought a de-humidifier - what is the ideal relative humidity for storing comics?

I've had raw and slabbed books in a cedar chest for years with no problems. You can store slabs flat (stacked) or on the side. I just recommend flipping them to the other side once or twice a year to avoid any slight bowing in one direction.

And the cedar chest makes the comics smell really nice. :cloud9:

50% RH +/- 10% is fine. Try to keep it as consistent as possible.

(thumbs u

I've had raw and slabbed books in a cedar chest for years with no problems. You can store slabs flat (stacked) or on the side. I just recommend flipping them to the other side once or twice a year to avoid any slight bowing in one direction.

And the cedar chest makes the comics smell really nice. :cloud9:

50% RH +/- 10% is fine. Try to keep it as consistent as possible.

(thumbs u

thanks!! I have mine set at 40% right now. But it appears my actual RH is at about 28%. Does anyone actually use a humidifier in the winter/dry seasons to offset a too low RH?

I wouldn't worry about the 28% RH. In general, I think articles on libary materials preservation are very useful when talking about comics. Here is a good one:

http://www.nedcc.org/resources/leaflets/2The_Environment/01BasicGuidelines.php

well now my levels have been reaching on average 18%. At what point do you need to bring in a humidifier? Does anyone on the East coast use a humidifier to bring levels up in the dry winter season? I imagine my levels have been even lower when I was running the heat all winter. Most of the online guides say that the largest problem causer to pq would be drastic changes in humidity levels. Anyways, just wondering if buying a humidifier would be smart, over-cautious, or down-right paranoid? hm

IMHO, the only reason to be concerned about low RH is when you expect it to either be subjected to a bigger swing in RH, or you expect the temperature change to increase dramatically (which will increase the water content in the air). Temperature is a bigger issue than RH anyhow, and Pittsburgh doesn't have very humid summers from what I've heard. If you live off one of those hills and have a basement that doesn't change temperature much anytime of the year, those are pretty ideal conditions.

Do you really want to risk moisture getting into those comics, or have to fill up the humidifier every day during the winter anyhow?

IMHO, the only reason to be concerned about low RH is when you expect it to either be subjected to a bigger swing in RH, or you expect the temperature change to increase dramatically (which will increase the water content in the air). Temperature is a bigger issue than RH anyhow, and Pittsburgh doesn't have very humid summers from what I've heard. If you live off one of those hills and have a basement that doesn't change temperature much anytime of the year, those are pretty ideal conditions.

Do you really want to risk moisture getting into those comics, or have to fill up the humidifier every day during the winter anyhow?

well there will be a pretty large upswing in the temp and relative humidity in the summer. Maybe i think the Summers in Pittsburgh are Super humid because I am used to the dry climate of Los Angeles. Anyways, My LCS has the same dehumidifier I bought for my personal collection and it needs to be emptied twice a day to keep the levels at 40% in the summer time. I wouldn't care about filling up the water or emptying the water - but I would worry about moisture getting into the comics for sure. If that's what would happen than I definitely do not want to have a humidifier running.

I guess my only real question is this. My relative humidity right now is 17% and it is rather warm outside. In the winters the humidity level was probably lower especially while running the heat. So let's say the RH was 10% on average. I have a dehumidifier so the RH in the storage room will never be above 35 to 40%(ideal setting). Is the swing from 10% to 40% enough of a change in RH to cause damage to my comics? Should I keep the RH at around 20% in the summer to avoid an upswing? If it sounds like I'm being anal it's because I am. lol thanks for the help ChemEng

You ever looked up "relative humidity" on urbandictionary.com? hm

The bead of sweat that rolls down your Sister's back when you're banging her doggie style.

"The Relative Humidity was high during our Family Union"

The sweat that drips off your balls when you bang your sister-in-law.

"The relative humidity was way high at my cousin's wedding".

It's that little drop of sweat that beads up on the back of your neck and dribbles down your back, thru your crack and eventually drips off of your ball while your you sister.

OMG :o

well there will be a pretty large upswing in the temp and relative humidity in the summer. Maybe i think the Summers in Pittsburgh are Super humid because I am used to the dry climate of Los Angeles. Anyways, My LCS has the same dehumidifier I bought for my personal collection and it needs to be emptied twice a day to keep the levels at 40% in the summer time. I wouldn't care about filling up the water or emptying the water - but I would worry about moisture getting into the comics for sure. If that's what would happen than I definitely do not want to have a humidifier running.

I guess my only real question is this. My relative humidity right now is 17% and it is rather warm outside. In the winters the humidity level was probably lower especially while running the heat. So let's say the RH was 10% on average. I have a dehumidifier so the RH in the storage room will never be above 35 to 40%(ideal setting). Is the swing from 10% to 40% enough of a change in RH to cause damage to my comics? Should I keep the RH at around 20% in the summer to avoid an upswing? If it sounds like I'm being anal it's because I am. lol thanks for the help ChemEng

A lot of it will depend on the actual amount of water in the atmosphere. At lower temperatures, the air can't hold as much water, so even a high RH may have less water that a low RH at a higher temperature. I've been storing comics at around 50-60% RH at a steady 60 +/- 5 degrees F. I don't know if that will be bad for my comics over several decades, but they still look great to me after 5-10 years.

If you are really serious about it (which it sounds like you are), I'd recommend really looking into how other people preserve mediums such as newspapers (because comics used news print), rare books, historical documents, etc. You'll get a lot more search hits off google. Of course, you could seal your comics in a titanium enclosure and fill it with inert argon gas just like the Declaration of Independence , but that MAY be going too far. :) Some conservationists might even be willing to answer a few of your questions if you send them an email. If you do find some interesting information though, please report your findings though!

I have mine set at 40% right now. But it appears my actual RH is at about 28%. Does anyone actually use a humidifier in the winter/dry seasons to offset a too low RH?

The CHURCH collection was stored in a state (Colorado) that has low humidity levels most of the year/time. Those books seem to have held up OK.

I store my comics in the basement. I also store some old CBGs when they were

in newsprint format in the basement, in the same boxes as the comics. I check on the CBG's occasionally and they are fine. The CBG's are going on 15 years old.

I have a dehumidifer and turn it on whenever the humidity gets too high, even in the winter. I like to keep the humidity in a narrow range.

The Church books were stored in tight, tall stacks which kept most of the air out of the hence their terrific state of preservation. Obviously the dry air helped too.

This has been mentioned several times but I spoke to Tracey Heft of www.eclipsepaper.com and he told me that the worst thing for paper's preservation was the relative change in humidy and temperature. Sure, high temp and humidity are not good but if it is constant it is a lot better than constant change.

He also recommended not keeping books next to an outside wall if out door temps will fluctuate much.

As far as storing comics I would think that lying flat would be the absolute best way to store them whether slabbed or not. Comics were never meant to be stored on their ends by nature of their design.

My collection is very small right now so I can comfortably store them all on their back or front.

R.

As far as storing comics I would think that lying flat would be the absolute best way to store them whether slabbed or not. Comics were never meant to be stored on their ends by nature of their design.

But if you store a stack of them in a flat pile, without being bagged and boarded, they tend to get spine roll.

But if you store a stack of them in a flat pile, without being bagged and boarded, they tend to get spine roll.

Yup. Forgot to mention that all my better books are now in Mylar/Fullback or slab.

I still have a lot of 80's and 90's books in bag and board and they are stored in long boxes but those are a dime a dozen and mostly reading material.

My core collection is all stored on it's back.

R.

The Church books had the spines on alternating sides, which prevented the spines from rolling. :gossip:

Was it the Gaines books that were wrapped in brown paper before being stored?

The Church books had the spines on alternating sides, which prevented the spines from rolling. :gossip:

Was it the Gaines books that were wrapped in brown paper before being stored?

Yes. I don't remember how many books per bag. Then stored in a closet, iirc.