• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Weight lifting #s

192 posts in this topic

So, I was at the gym today talking to someone I went to high school, and what do you think one the first questions he asked me was? "What is you bench up to now?" :tonofbricks:

The biggest NOOB question in the world...

I usually say something stupid like 150 lbs.

lol

Oddly enough that's pretty much what I say... "Um, well, on my really heavy days I usually get around 38 or 39." They say, "What? Reps? At what weight?" I say, "No, 38 or 39 lbs... much more than that and I start to pass out." Then I make the "you must be the dumbest fker in the world" look and go back to my workout.

So, I was at the gym today talking to someone I went to high school, and what do you think one the first questions he asked me was? "What is you bench up to now?" :tonofbricks:

The biggest NOOB question in the world...

I usually say something stupid like 150 lbs.

lol

Oddly enough that's pretty much what I say... "Um, well, on my really heavy days I usually get around 38 or 39." They say, "What? Reps? At what weight?" I say, "No, 38 or 39 lbs... much more than that and I start to pass out." Then I make the "you must be the dumbest fker in the world" look and go back to my workout.

:roflmao:

After my first 5 years in the gym. I came to the conclusion I would never take out my headphones. If I did I got stupid questions. Otherwise I could walk by and pretend I never heard a thing..

I remember one guy asked how much I could leg press I answered 16 and walked away. He probably thought I was stupid until I loaded 8 45lb plates to each side of the sled and dropped the tray until my knees touched my shoulder and repeated for 12 reps. haha

As far as the original post, I am wondering exactly what the guy is claiming. Someone holding a choke for 5 minutes has caused him injuries. And now these injuries prevent him from benching over 135 pounds?

The point I was trying to make is that a guy this strong should be able to toss the choker off him and some regular guy would not be able to hang on him for 5 minutes. We're not talking about some martial arts choke or a choke out, the lifter says he was conscious the whole time, standing up and struggling with him. He wants it to have lasted 5 minutes because he is suing because nobody came to help him while this was allegedly happening and he is suing the people supposedly in the vicinity (let's just say, those people might be argued to have had a duty to try and help if they saw what was going on). After 5 minutes he said they both fell down and when he fell he injured his shoulder and back and is now so injured he can barely lift anything.

My argument is that if anything happened (and I don't think anything ACTUALLY happened and the guy is making it up), it happened so quickly nobody was in a position to come to his aid.

Beyond this I really can't get into. I just left it as this guy would have been the strongest man in the world in 1951 (with a wiki cite) and there was no way this other dude would have been able to do this for 5 minutes like claimed. I happen to have a judge who sometimes likes this sort of oddball argument, I've used them with her in the past and then found her dropping footnotes mentioning them favorably.

Strong guy is the only guy I believe....

As I said, I weigh in at 185-190 and the most I've ever benched is 220 in proper form, without a spotter, even though I can do a butt load of pull ups and push ups, and even a couple of muscle ups.

Maybe I have muscular dystrophy. lol

I weigh 195 pounds and the most I've ever benched is 145. Don't feel bad. :tonofbricks:

You should have told him you dont bench no more, but you just pulled a strict 720 deadlift without hitching. That ususally ends further conversations. lol

DRX

You should have told him you dont bench no more, but you just pulled a strict 720 deadlift without hitching. That ususally ends further conversations. lol

DRX

Or say that you work a car crusher manually..

DRX

Or say that you work a car crusher manually..

Yea, that sounds good. Tell him you leg press the frickin cars into the crusher. :roflmao:

DRX

DRX

I really don't do flat barbell bench as much anymore. I haven't been deadlifting the past few years. I maxed out at 375 and attempted 400 the same workout and got it a few inches up. Then for some reason I stopped dead lifting for a long time. The gym I go to doesn't want you dead lifting on the main gym floor anymore. They have platforms down in another section where there is all kinds of mess going on with little kids playing baseball. Plus there are no mirrors down there which I don't like. I may wind up migrating back to the main floor and see if anyone yells at me. Other people deadlift up there.

DRX

I really don't do flat barbell bench as much anymore. I haven't been deadlifting the past few years. I maxed out at 375 and attempted 400 the same workout and got it a few inches up. Then for some reason I stopped dead lifting for a long time. The gym I go to doesn't want you dead lifting on the main gym floor anymore. They have platforms down in another section where there is all kinds of mess going on with little kids playing baseball. Plus there are no mirrors down there which I don't like. I may wind up migrating back to the main floor and see if anyone yells at me. Other people deadlift up there.

Most gyms an healthclubs frown on any kind of powerlifting. First of all, they dont want all the yelling and banging of tons of weights all over. It disturbs people, and the women who have never been around it. They dont want to work out or socialize in that kind of atmosphere. And also when your attempting heavy squats or deadlifts, you dont want any distractions period. People walking in front of you or breaking your concentrating. Most guys I knew when attempting big lifts had everyone stand behind the spotters or to the sides. It was rule of law. If you walked in on or in front of someone you might get the power bar wrapped around your neck. :o

DRX

No. You bench press them in, and the walls are operated by your leg press. And shoulder press the cubes out. :insane:

Yea, and then you load the semi that comes to pick them up manually. You toss em up like Bill Kazmier with the beer kegs!!! :o

DRX