• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Weight lifting #s

192 posts in this topic

"I'm benching at least 350, no problem!"

I've known several people that could do over 400, and 3 or 4 that could do over 500. 450+ at 210 lbs is pretty impressive. I'm trying to think of someone for sure that could that I knew, maybe one or two.

However, as another poster mentioned, a "prison press" would probably not be a legit, flat back press, which would give him a big advantage. Just try to do a decline press, it's much easier.

I have a case where the guy claiming he was injured says he (5' 10", 210 pounds) used to bench 455 and now can only bench 135, used to be able to sitting shoulder press 315.

For those of you who are big into lifting, where in the pantheon of freakishness is a 210 pounder benching 455? I'm assuming the guy (who was previously incarcerated) didn't have access to steroids, HGH, etc....Is this something you might see from an NFL player? Is that ratio not big enough for me to describe him as a "near olympic" calibre weight lifter) (I see the bench record is now over 1000 pounds...maybe that would be pushing it)... without getting into a lot of details here I'm looking at a way to describe to the judge (to whom these numbers likely mean nothing) just how frigging strong this guy claimed to be at the time (to undercut his claim about how the injury occurred) and perhaps a source to cite to.

My friend is a CO in the 25 to life section of a state prison. He said most of the guys are jacked and live the life of bodybuilder's. The just sleep and lift. They can get creatine and protein powders from the store there, and buy tons of cans of tuna also. He said one guy was at least 50 year's old and can still bench press 550.

455lbs at 210 is not that unbelievable. I train a lot of tactical guys that do nothing but eat right, train and lift. Several of the cops I know that can do at least a 350 if not more. Also, at one of the hardcore gyms I lift at, I am the weakling of the group doing a mere 385lbs press at 265lbs. Most of the guys there having been lifting for years and, juice or no juice, a 450 bench for someone who has been lifting seriously for years, genetics nothwithstanding, isn't that unusual.

Back in the college days 1988-1991 I was benching 320 and only weighed 180. I was playing strong safety for a small college football program. Alot of us were lifting seriously almost 5 days a week. I actually have long arms for my height which is almost 6 foot. I used to tease the shorter guys that they have an advantage over me with shorter arms. The rest and recovery time if you were in prison would make those numbers beliveable. Lift hard and than sit the rest of the day, a perfect storm for building muscle.

Benching that much weight is possible however for a 210lb man to do it.... well I'd say it would be believable if that meant

"I max benched 455lbs - 1 rep... with spotters."

As far as choking a man.. even a muscular man out, a corroded artery is still a corroded artery and it doesn't take a whole lot to interrupt its blood flow.

A little off topic, but here's an incredible display of muscle strength and endurance:

A little off topic, but here's an incredible display of muscle strength and endurance:

Impressive! Is that you?

Unfortunately it isn't. I use this vid as my motivation. I've only ever been able to do 2 complete muscle-ups, but in very poor form, and I've been working at it for quite a while. My form is so bad that I get severe elbow pain afterward. This guy blows my mind. All but his last 2 or 3 are perfect.

If I can ever even get 5-10 out in decent form, I'm making a video and showing off to EVERYONE. I can't imagine doing 27.

Calisthenics rule and they're a daily routine for me. I don't even bother with weights. 5000 CAL diets, benching 400lbs and having 22 inch arms isn't appealing to me.

Calisthenics rule and they're a daily routine for me. I don't even bother with weights. 5000 CAL diets, benching 400lbs and having 22 inch arms isn't appealing to me.

22" arms... don't worry about that. lol lol lol

It's like I tell all of the people who use, "I don't want to get all big and muscley", as an excuse for not lifting. My response is, "Don't worry. Just hit it hard and when you look in the mirror one day and think you're too big... stop lifting". C'mon, it ain't rocket science... have you met many serious weight lifters... geesh. :P

About that guy in the video. That's pretty good but I wouldn't really say it's insane. There are gymnasts all over the world doing that day in and day out. Besides that dude looks really tiny... maybe 5'6" (b/c most bars like that are 8' high) 140#. If he were over 6' and over 200# then that would be something really impressive.

If you want to train to do something like this just do heavy pull-over and press. It's almost the exact same motion.

It's like I tell all of the people who use, "I don't want to get all big and muscley", as an excuse for not lifting. My response is, "Don't worry. Just hit it hard and when you look in the mirror one day and think you're too big... stop lifting". C'mon, it ain't rocket science... have you met many serious weight lifters... geesh. :P

About that guy in the video. That's pretty good but I wouldn't really say it's insane. There are gymnasts all over the world doing that day in and day out. Besides that dude looks really tiny... maybe 5'6" (b/c most bars like that are 8' high) 140#. If he were over 6' and over 200# then that would be something really impressive.

If you want to train to do something like this just do heavy pull-over and press. It's almost the exact same motion.

Well said. I think it's hilarious how many people say that also. I mean, if gaining muscle were that easy, everyone would be Mr. & Ms. Olympia. It's incredibly difficult to build pure muscle. Among professionals (even w/ juice), a gain of 3-4lbs of pure muscle a YEAR is good. Aside from that, I've only met one guy in my life with better than 21" arms. Unless you have freakish genetics, it ain't happenin'!

It's like I tell all of the people who use, "I don't want to get all big and muscley", as an excuse for not lifting. My response is, "Don't worry. Just hit it hard and when you look in the mirror one day and think you're too big... stop lifting".

22 inch arms was an exaggeration. I really just have no interest in getting much bigger. I work out 6 days a week for endurance and overall fitness more than anything else. I don't care about my measurements or my weight, but I do know that I want to be as fit and strong as possible while staying in the 180-190# range.

I've known a couple of bodybuilders who look very impressive (huge), but huff and puff going up a couple of flights of stairs. What's the point?

Well said. I think it's hilarious how many people say that also. I mean, if gaining muscle were that easy, everyone would be Mr. & Ms. Olympia. It's incredibly difficult to build pure muscle. Among professionals (even w/ juice), a gain of 3-4lbs of pure muscle a YEAR is good. Aside from that, I've only met one guy in my life with better than 21" arms. Unless you have freakish genetics, it ain't happenin'!

The "22 inch arm" thing was just a little hyperbole, and I mentioned it because that's what a lot of bodybuilders seem to fantasize about. My point was, I have no interest in being too much bigger than I am now. Having both cardiovascular and muscle endurance, to me, is much more practical, and that's what I train for. At no point did I say building muscle was easy, or that I could ever get my arms to 22 inches.

As far as choking a man.. even a muscular man out, a corroded artery is still a corroded artery and it doesn't take a whole lot to interrupt its blood flow.

the choking went on for 5 minutes (allegedly) and muscle man was conscious the whole time, he says....

anyway, i made my argument that muscle man would have tossed this guy off like a sack of potatoes...we'll see if the judge likes it. it's hard for me to explain out of context why i'm dealing with this.

Benching that much weight is possible however for a 210lb man to do it.... well I'd say it would be believable if that meant

"I max benched 455lbs - 1 rep... with spotters."

Especially if the corroded artery is the carotid artery ! :grin:

I used to lift a bit from age 18-21 - got up to 300 lbs bench on a decline, and 270 on a flat bench. I could do 225 x 8 and 255 for triple sets. At the time I lived in a small town where we paid for gym memberships and all had a "key" to the gym so we could come in and lift at 2:00 A.M. if we wanted. One late night en route to the gym I hit a cow and totaled my car. That's another story. But anyway one night this kid came in - really skinny dude but was benching as much or more than I was. Then he injected himself with steroids in the upper buttocks and told me he was going to come in tomorrow morning and bench AGAIN. Having never done the stuff it really made me not want to life anymore.

The person I'm most impressed with is my father-in-law. He was born in Dec 1943, and has lifted twice a week for 25 years and never missed his workout. He can still bench 400 lbs and won some competitions in his age group in the 1990's. Plus he weighs about 200 pounds. Did I mention he turned 65 3 months ago?

100 percent all natural too, and one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. He rarely does bicep workouts and never squats, but his chest and upper body is like a tank.