• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL - What would happen if CGC stopped slabbing comics?

What would happen if CGC ever stopped slabbing comics?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. What would happen if CGC ever stopped slabbing comics?

82 posts in this topic

Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...

Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!

Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

I don't think a successful company would emerge if CGC would fold tomorrow. A company may start up but whether it would be successful or not is doubtful in the current environment in my opinion.

What you could see is auction sites (Comiclink, Connect, etc.) certifying a grade for a comic they have listed...

Jim

All those raw NM/MT modern books would once again become bin fodder. 2c

Or maybe the prices go much higher because there will not be any more 9.8's added to the census hm

What census? With CGC gone, there isn't any more census, Registry sets or boards for that matter.

All those raw NM/MT modern books would once again become bin fodder. 2c

Or maybe the prices go much higher because there will not be any more 9.8's added to the census hm

Doubtful...the CGC shine would lose it lustre over time. And you'd have people increasingly talking about the supposed "7-year rule" when you should have a comic reslabbed...

Jim

You'd have a bunch of very exprienced employees out of work and someone would start a new company with an already experienced core.

(thumbs u

CGC won't go under because of comics. If coins go under then we have a problem.

You'd have a bunch of very exprienced employees out of work and someone would start a new company with an already experienced core.

And who would put up the up-front capital needed to start up correctly? I'm not sure there would be alot of takers in the current environment especially considering the claims by Borock and others that the company isn't a particularly lucrative business...

Jim

And who would put up the up-front capital needed to start up correctly? I'm not sure there would be alot of takers in the current environment especially considering the claims by Borock and others that the company isn't a particularly lucrative business...

Jim

There are plenty of people with money to invest even in a downturn and in a business and there are always new ways of making a business lucrative. I can't see the void staying open very long if it did happen.

(thumbs u

That company could then induce panic surrounding the 7-year SHELF-LIFE of CGC slabs.....and make a mint on the 1,000,000+ resubs.

14248.jpg

Jim

Plus the fact a lot of the best books in the world (with the most profit margin for a company) have already been slabbed. There is less incentive to start a new company than there was for CGC to first start up operations.

Look, we all hope CGC never goes away, but I sometimes wonder what would happen to the value of my slabs if they stopped slabbing.