• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL - What would happen if CGC stopped slabbing comics?

What would happen if CGC ever stopped slabbing comics?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. What would happen if CGC ever stopped slabbing comics?

82 posts in this topic

SCS does NOT happen a lot more times than it actually does happen.

Based on the slabs I've received, it happens alot more than anyone wants to admit...

Jim

Isolated incident

IFSCSA.jpg

meh

meh

What? That's not SCS?

How about this? :makepoint:

ASM252.jpg

Or this one.....

01FF214SCStop.jpg

Shall I continue? (shrug)

Chris you , I didn't even begin to imply that SCS doesn't exist but you continue to push a moot point simply to have something to argue about.

SCS only happens when a book is not handled properly therefore it is not the fault of the slab it is the fault of the person handling the book when it happens.

A comic will not damage itself in a state of rest so the slab design does not cause the damage.

Poor packaging, poor handling and poor storage all affect the comic. Not slab design.

If anyone feels they can improve on it I'm sure there is lots of money to be made here, folks.

Anyone? Bueller?

R.

All those raw NM/MT modern books would once again become bin fodder. 2c

Or maybe the prices go much higher because there will not be any more 9.8's added to the census hm

Doubtful...the CGC shine would lose it lustre over time. And you'd have people increasingly talking about the supposed "7-year rule" when you should have a comic reslabbed...

Jim

unfortunately slab damage/SCS does happen. :( i sent in a TOS 49 CGC 7.5 to be reholdered during the WC, and later i rec'd a call from CGC, stating that they couldn't reholder it in the same grade do to SCS. :sorry: we are currently working things out and a settlement is in the works. :wishluck:

Couldn't it be pressed out?

That bad huh? :eek:

nope. :cry: trust me, we tried to think of every available avenue. :sorry: it didn't happen on the way to CGC, i already bought the book like that, i just didn't know until i tried to get it reholdered. :tonofbricks:

Chris you , I didn't even begin to imply that SCS doesn't exist but you continue to push a moot point simply to have something to argue about.

SCS only happens when a book is not handled properly therefore it is not the fault of the slab it is the fault of the person handling the book when it happens.

A comic will not damage itself in a state of rest so the slab design does not cause the damage.

Poor packaging, poor handling and poor storage all affect the comic. Not slab design.

If anyone feels they can improve on it I'm sure there is lots of money to be made here, folks.

Anyone? Bueller?

R.

kool-aid.jpg

You'd have a bunch of very exprienced employees out of work and someone would start a new company with an already experienced core.

And who would put up the up-front capital needed to start up correctly? I'm not sure there would be alot of takers in the current environment especially considering the claims by Borock and others that the company isn't a particularly lucrative business...

Jim

30 days max from CGC closing its doors until a new company could open up. Same suppliers for plastic, design a new label, buy the CGC registry database, set up a web page and forum, buy existing equipment at a discount from a defunct company, agree to accept CGC-graded comics for Registry purposes, talk to former CGC employees. Wouldn't have to be particularly profitable to make it a meaningful venture. I don't think it would be difficult at all.

Anyone? Bueller?

R.

kool-aid.jpg

Nice rebut. A logical discussion seems to be a rare thing around here lately...it's either got to be an extreme point of view with no facts to back it up or simply emotional rhetoric.

So I'm drinking Kool Aid because I present an logical arguement. Then what does an armchair critic drink?

Anyone? Bueller?

R.

kool-aid.jpg

Nice rebut. A logical discussion seems to be a rare thing around here lately...it's either got to be an extreme point of view with no facts to back it up or simply emotional rhetoric.

So I'm drinking Kool Aid because I present an logical arguement. Then what does an armchair critic drink?

Lighten up Francis

BTW - I drink Coors Light & Southern Comfort ;)

Nah, I'd rather have some intelligent discourse if someone is going to try and prove me wrong. Nice attempt at a cover though.

Nah, I'd rather have some intelligent discourse if someone is going to try and prove me wrong. Nice attempt at a cover though.

I'll reader's digest the "intelligent discourse" for you.

"SCS happens a lot."

No, it doesn't. It only happens occasionally.

"Nuh-uh"

"Yuh-huh"

"Nuh-uh"

"Yuh-huh"

Repeat until "hulk head hurt" ensues.

If a book is somewhat 'loose' in the inner well damage may occur. No matter how good you package it up for shipping, how do you stop the book from sliding around in the inner well ?

The new design of the inner well seems to result in a snug fit = I like it. I would also like to see CGC use the wedge pieces more often. I feel better when I buy a book with a wedge or two present. It seems to prevent SCS.

Regarding the demise of CGC, I hope it never happens. While I realize they are in business to make money, they seem to put integrity first over profits. I don't see another company doing that. Many on the boards complain about tight CGC grading but I believe it is in our best interests to have tight, consistent grading.

Looser grading for more company profits would ruin the hobby.

If a book is somewhat 'loose' in the inner well damage may occur. No matter how good you package it up for shipping, how do you stop the book from sliding around in the inner well ?

The new design of the inner well seems to result in a snug fit = I like it. I would also like to see CGC use the wedge pieces more often. I feel better when I buy a book with a wedge or two present. It seems to prevent SCS.

Regarding the demise of CGC, I hope it never happens. While I realize they are in business to make money, they seem to put integrity first over profits. I don't see another company doing that. Many on the boards complain about tight CGC grading but I believe it is in our best interests to have tight, consistent grading.

Looser grading for more company profits would ruin the hobby.

Proper packaging will reduce the incidence of SCS that I am 100% sure of.

Cardboard around the slab, then one wrap of bubblewrap to keep it together,then dropped into a box of Styrophoam peanuts. That is the best way to reduce the incidence of SCS during shipping.

The peanuts act as a fluid dispersing impact around the slab rather than as a solid (like bubblewrap) and forcing impact to go through the slab.

Nothing will eliminate it completely but you can reduce it greatly.

If an employee of the shipping company throws, drops, kicks or runs over the box with the slab in it that's improper handling then isn't it?

What exactly am I trying to cover? You went on a rant about the incidence of SCS, and I posted examples. How many more examples do I need to post? A dozen? A hundred? If these post-slabbing defects weren't pressable....CGC would be in a world of trouble.

But keep on keeping on... :hi: