• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL - What would happen if CGC stopped slabbing comics?

What would happen if CGC ever stopped slabbing comics?  

354 members have voted

1. 1. What would happen if CGC ever stopped slabbing comics?

82 posts in this topic

Nah, I'd rather have some intelligent discourse if someone is going to try and prove me wrong. Nice attempt at a cover though.

What exactly am I trying to cover? You went on a rant about the incidence of SCS, and I posted examples. How many more examples do I need to post? A dozen? A hundred? If these post-slabbing defects weren't pressable....CGC would be in a world of trouble.

But keep on keeping on... :hi:

Did I go on a rant or did I simply try to balance the discussion? You posted a small handful of scans showing SCS happens.

How many times does SCS NOT happen? Nobody ever comments on that.

CGC has slabbed over 1 000 000 books. How many have SCS? 1%, 2% ? Certainly not anywhere near what you are making it sound like.

I never said it was an isolated incident, did I?

R.

There was no discussion. Supa posted about a book he owned that suffered from SCS...and CGC was unable to 'fix' it, so he's getting reimbursed. End of story.

Well...it would have been....had you not felt the need to downplay the incidence of post-slabbing damage.

It was then that I responded. You know....to keep the discussion balanced.

There was no discussion. Supa posted about a book he owned that suffered from SCS...and CGC was unable to 'fix' it, so he's getting reimbursed. End of story.

Well...it would have been....had you not felt the need to downplay the incidence of post-slabbing damage.

It's not supposed to happen. :makepoint:

The whole point of encapsulation is to preserve the comic in the grade assigned. Or is there another reason we seal our books in plastic?

Proper packaging will reduce the incidence of SCS that I am 100% sure of.

I disagree...while it helps, most, maybe 80% of the slabs I received with SCS were in bomb-proof packaging from well regarded sellers/members of this Board...

Jim

I disagree...while it helps, most, maybe 80% of the slabs I received with SCS were in bomb-proof packaging from well regarded sellers/members of this Board...

Jim

Where the slabs sitting/floating in Styrophoam peanuts?

SCS only happens when a book is not handled properly therefore it is not the fault of the slab it is the fault of the person handling the book when it happens.

A comic will not damage itself in a state of rest so the slab design does not cause the damage.

Poor packaging, poor handling and poor storage all affect the comic. Not slab design.

If a book is somewhat 'loose' in the inner well damage may occur. No matter how good you package it up for shipping, how do you stop the book from sliding around in the inner well ?

The new design of the inner well seems to result in a snug fit = I like it. I would also like to see CGC use the wedge pieces more often. I feel better when I buy a book with a wedge or two present. It seems to prevent SCS.

Regarding the demise of CGC, I hope it never happens. While I realize they are in business to make money, they seem to put integrity first over profits. I don't see another company doing that. Many on the boards complain about tight CGC grading but I believe it is in our best interests to have tight, consistent grading.

Looser grading for more company profits would ruin the hobby.

Cardboard around the slab, then one wrap of bubblewrap to keep it together,then dropped into a box of Styrophoam peanuts. That is the best way to reduce the incidence of SCS during shipping.

The peanuts act as a fluid dispersing impact around the slab rather than as a solid (like bubblewrap) and forcing impact to go through the slab.

Nothing will eliminate it completely but you can reduce it greatly.

If an employee of the shipping company throws, drops, kicks or runs over the box with the slab in it that's improper handling then isn't it?

No Roy, it wont.

I had a 100 pager that came back in 9.8 that I would not ship because it was so loose in the slab. I could tip the book from one side to the other, you know, just to check out the edges and it would move in the slab. Not a little mind you, but a lot.

I did not nor would not ship it to its new owner because of the movement. I could have handled it correctly all day long and twice on Sunday and it would have gotten damaged.

I am going to assume, dangerous I know, that my book like that was not the only one like it.

It's not supposed to happen. :makepoint:

The whole point of encapsulation is to preserve the comic in the grade assigned. Or is there another reason we seal our books in plastic?

:thumbsup:

So is it better to not have the book in the slab?

Now who is awoiding the original question?

Thats not the point Roy.

You said proper packing and handling will prevent SCS. I gave an example that it wont.

Whether or not to have the book in the slab is the choice of the owner. there are positives and negatives to both aspects.

Thats not the point Roy.

You said proper packing and handling will prevent SCS. I gave an example that it wont.

Whether or not to have the book in the slab is the choice of the owner. there are positives and negatives to both aspects.

No I said it would reduce the incidence, not prevent it completely.

You gave one instance showing where it likely will not prevent SCS.

My point is out of a million books, how many get SCS?

If it is such a problem is it better to keep the book out of the slab?

I'm not rewording the question, I'm asking another question to prove a point.

I'm interested in the complete picture here, not just a small peep hole.

Jim

Where the slabs sitting/floating in Styrophoam peanuts?

In two of the caes, yes.

Jim

Thats not the point Roy.

You assume that having them in slabs is the best choice :shrug:

Thats not the point Roy.

You assume that having them in slabs is the best choice :shrug:

I guess if you want a third party graded book then it is the best choice.

(shrug)