• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink results....holy cr@p!

375 posts in this topic

My only win although I didn't bid on too much. A Mile High under $200 with a Schomburg cover and Frazetta art inside.

thrilling73.jpg

That was me bidding against you down to the end. :hi:

Congrats on a nice win! :applause:

Thanks Mark :foryou: I wouldn't have been interested if not being for my Better/Nedor/Standard quest.

Congratulations, Transplant, that 147 was a great deal. I sold an idential copy (the same?) on eBay in 2007 for 60% more than what you paid.
I think that 2007 and 2008 are looking a Duck bubble. Fine by me from a collector's POV but, as you've mentioned, not necessarily good for the overall health of the market.

I think that the economic problems in Europe and the decline of the euro versus the dollar have chased some of the Duck buyers out of the market for a while. I picked up a sweet 9.6 Scrooge 53 at 40% of GPA in the last Heritage auction. I was tracking the eight Scrooges in this auction and the FC 194 but I had blown my budget in a private deal for the three Scrooges in posted in the Duck thread earlier today.

Congratulations, Transplant, that 147 was a great deal. I sold an idential copy (the same?) on eBay in 2007 for 60% more than what you paid.
I think that 2007 and 2008 are looking a Duck bubble. Fine by me from a collector's POV but, as you've mentioned, not necessarily good for the overall health of the market.

I think that the economic problems in Europe and the decline of the euro versus the dollar have chased some of the Duck buyers out of the market for a while. I picked up a sweet 9.6 Scrooge 53 at 40% of GPA in the last Heritage auction. I was tracking the eight Scrooges in this auction and the FC 194 but I had blown my budget in a private deal for the three Scrooges in posted in the Duck thread earlier today.

Fine by me ... I'm gonna load up on Duck ..... or was it chicken

I think the correction was badly needed for the Duck market. Books had skyrocketed into the stratosphere in a very short period of time.

Twelve months ago the Australian dollar was 98c US. Today it's 68c - and that's a big improvement on the 61c it was at a month ago. It's very hard to justify competitive bids on high grade ducks at that exchange rate.

I'd still pay guide or better for a nice Scrooge #6 though...

Twelve months ago the Australian dollar was 98c US. Today it's 68c - and that's a big improvement on the 61c it was at a month ago.

That still beats the heck out of 49c back in 2001!

Twelve months ago the Australian dollar was 98c US. Today it's 68c - and that's a big improvement on the 61c it was at a month ago.

Tim;

Looks like Gene made the right call last fall when he said the U.S. greenback was headed for an extended bull run.

Of course, most people disagree as the U.S. economy and financial institutions were just starting to tank big time and the corporate bailouts were just starting to unfold.

Since that time though, the Canadian dollar has fallen from $1.10 USA to about $0.78 USA. Of course, that's still a lot better than the $0.62 it was at a few years ago. I understand the fall of the Canadian dollar though, as it has basically run parallel to the fall in the oil price from $150 a barrel down to its current $50 a barrel.

Still not exactly sure why the U.S. dollar is doing so well against all of the other currencies since their house in just in an absolute economic mess and they are printing money 24/7 right now.

Tim;

Looks like Gene made the right call last fall when he said the U.S. greenback was headed for an extended bull run.

Of course, most people disagree as the U.S. economy and financial institutions were just starting to tank big time and the corporate bailouts were just starting to unfold.

Since that time though, the Canadian dollar has fallen from $1.10 USA to about $0.78 USA. Of course, that's still a lot better than the $0.62 it was at a few years ago. I understand the fall of the Canadian dollar though, as it has basically run parallel to the fall in the oil price from $150 a barrel down to its current $50 a barrel.

Still not exactly sure why the U.S. dollar is doing so well against all of the other currencies since their house in just in an absolute economic mess and they are printing money 24/7 right now.

The $US is strong simply because people have to sell their stocks in $US. It's the international trade currency...when people start buying again look out. The $US will drop like a falling knife.

IMO the courtship is over.

I`m not sure I would call the USD`s current situation "an extended bull run". Its run at the beginning of the decade, when the Euro was below $1.00, the Aussie Dollar was at $0.50, and the Yen at 130, THAT was a bull run.

Because many other countries, particularly in Europe, are in the same or worse situations, and they may soon be dealing with a meltdown in Eastern Europe.

Actually, I would say that currencies right now are not necessarily tracking relative strength of economies or interest rates. Canada and Australia, for instance, still have relatively strong economies and higher interest rates, and Australia ran several years of surpluses, but both currencies are well off their highs because they basically function as proxies for stuff that can be dug out of the ground. Conversely, Japan is in worse shape than ANY major economy, and its currency is superstrong.

I`m not sure I would call the USD`s current situation "an extended bull run". Its run at the beginning of the decade, when the Euro was below $1.00, the Aussie Dollar was at $0.50, and the Yen at 130, THAT was a bull run.

Because many other countries, particularly in Europe, are in the same or worse situations, and they may soon be dealing with a meltdown in Eastern Europe.

Actually, I would say that currencies right now are not necessarily tracking relative strength of economies or interest rates. Canada and Australia, for instance, still have relatively strong economies and higher interest rates, and Australia ran several years of surpluses, but both currencies are well off their highs because they basically function as proxies for stuff that can be dug out of the ground. Conversely, Japan is in worse shape than ANY major economy, and its currency is superstrong.

If anyone has a view on currencies I'm all ears.

I'm currently long Yen, Sterling, Euro's, S. Franc's,, Canadian D, and added a bit of AD's ln the last two weeks. I'm still attempting to diversify my USD holdings but I am doing it slowing since competitive devaluations seems to be in vogue. THe Chinese Yuan, seems to be the obvious buy but I have not yet pulled the trigger. Buying the Yuan is quite difficult. I can set up a CD account in a US based bank or go to the CME and buy contracts (with a wide spread between the bid and offer). Buying the currency direct is quite difficult.

I'm currently long Yen, Sterling, Euro's, S. Franc's,, Canadian D, and added a bit of AD's ln the last two weeks. I'm still attempting to diversify my USD holdings but I am doing it slowing since competitive devaluations seems to be in vogue. THe Chinese Yuan, seems to be the obvious buy but I have not yet pulled the trigger. Buying the Yuan is quite difficult. I can set up a CD account in a US based bank or go to the CME and buy contracts (with a wide spread between the bid and offer). Buying the currency direct is quite difficult.

My thoughts FWIW. The USD is strong because of its role as the world's reserve currency. In a crisis, the USD is a natural refuge. However, that's not good for the US in many ways - it makes US exports less competetive, for example. US policy might well trend towards further 'printing of money' (which is actually nothing of the sort) which has the effect of increasing inflation and devaluing the dollar, but improves the prospects of exporters and also lowers the real value of external debt. So the bottom line, I think, is that diversifying your holdings is smart. As to what currencies you should be buying... I have no idea.

Now this is the intellectual banter I expect in the GA section!!! :applause:

BTW, just so we don't lose total track, here is a comic book. I picked one that involves multiple countries. It was a US comic book produced for Canada in French attacking the Soviet Union.

Discuss how its value will drop or increase using different currency systems and economic models. ;)

AQuandNotreTour.jpg

BTW, just so we don't lose total track, here is a comic book. I picked one that involves multiple countries. It was a US comic book produced for Canada in French attacking the Soviet Union.

Discuss how its value will drop or increase using different currency systems and economic models. ;)

Would it disappoint you if I just said it is really cool?

Would it disappoint you if I just said it is really cool?

Not at all! I don't understand what those guys are talking about anyway! ;):hi:

I'm not smart enough to trade on a daily basis in currencies, so I really only trade currencies when they are in what I call the "no brainer" part of their historical trading range. My view is that right now, with the exception of the Yen, none are trading in that area. The Aussie Dollar, for instance, is trading in the lower-middle part of its historical range. The no-brainer range to go long is at A$1=US$0.50, and to go short is A$1=US$0.90. The Yen was a "no brainer" short when it got under 90 Yen=US$1, and I was up 10% in a relatively short period of time until Bernanke unleashed his brilliant idea to jack up inflation rates.

The Yuan (more commonly referred to out here as the RMB), was a no-brainer for the past couple of years because it was clearly undervalued and the Chinese government had to allow it to appreciate. However, I don't think it's going to be allowed to appreciate any further, because China can't afford to feel more pain on exports if it can help it. Plus, it's a pain to trade, and dealing with the physical stuff is even more of a pain, because you're limited to buying or selling RMB20,000 per day. For a while, you'd see people come faithfully to the bank every day, for weeks, to purchase RMB20K and put it into their RMB account. And then when they sold they'd do the reverse every day.