• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink results....holy cr@p!

375 posts in this topic

Actually, even the ultra-HG stuff is starting to hurt. Whoever bought all the ultra-HG ducks on Heritage in Nov 2006 took a bath of epic proportions when selling them on CL just now. Granted, they overpaid back then, and I continue to think that anyone who sells Ducks on CL is making a big mistake, but even factoring those things in, prices were pretty weak.

And no, unfortunately I wasn't the winner of any of them because I had the times all mixed up.

Why didn't you just put in the maximum amount you wanted to pay and bid that way? I don't understand why people wait until the last minute to bid. (shrug)

I can't say I'm surprised at a slew of soft results. Some of it is probably due to the Clink itself, but the market is well overdue for a correction. See the thread here for some data on the prices of the Overstreet top 100 over the last 10 years.

That sort of rise couldn't be expected to sustain in the present economy.

Bottom line is that there are too many auctions happening lately. Between Heritage, Comic Link, and Comic Connect, there have been about 6 big auctions in the past 7 months, and each auction has had a slew of high quality books.

Also, with the economy as bad as it is, a ton of books are coming out of the woodwork. I think supply is now exceeding demand, and the final bids are proving that.

I can't say I'm surprised at a slew of soft results. Some of it is probably due to the Clink itself, but the market is well overdue for a correction. See the thread here for some data on the prices of the Overstreet top 100 over the last 10 years.

Bottom line is that there are too many auctions happening lately. Between Heritage, Comic Link, and Comic Connect, there have been about 6 big auctions in the past 7 months, and each auction has had a slew of high quality books.

Also, with the economy as bad as it is, a ton of books are coming out of the woodwork. I think supply is now exceeding demand, and the final bids are proving that.

It is a great time to buy! :acclaim:

(thumbs u

Actually, even the ultra-HG stuff is starting to hurt. Whoever bought all the ultra-HG ducks on Heritage in Nov 2006 took a bath of epic proportions when selling them on CL just now. Granted, they overpaid back then, and I continue to think that anyone who sells Ducks on CL is making a big mistake, but even factoring those things in, prices were pretty weak.

And no, unfortunately I wasn't the winner of any of them because I had the times all mixed up.

Why didn't you just put in the maximum amount you wanted to pay and bid that way? I don't understand why people wait until the last minute to bid. (shrug)

I don't like getting walked up. I usually put in a marker bid and then put in real bids sometime on the last day, usually well before the very end. I don't usually wait until the last minute. But when an auction finishes at a bad time for me because of time zone differences, then if I don't remember to put in my final bids the day before, I can be totally shut out, which is what happened to me here.

I think people should be consigning with caution right now, unless they've got top census ultra-HG SA Marvel. We're starting to hit the point of diminishing returns, in my mind. The JLAs I auctioned in February collectively had the most tepid results that I've experienced and definitely did not inspire me to consign more anytime soon.

All Star # 5 in 9.0 sold for $2,900 (it Guides for $5355 in 9.0, and in 9.2 for $7650).

:o :o

I was the high bidder at $2,800, and mine was simply a "tracking" bid. :o

Never thought it would be that close.

Well, based upon your confession, it sounds like you shilled the book up to the final selling price since your bid was not a true intention to buy. :baiting:

Actually, without your shill bid, the book might have sold at a market value substantially lower than this $2,900 final price, assuming the increments are $100 at this level. :o:o

I think the bid before mine was $2,700, so yes, I "shilled" it up another $100. meh

Now you sound like a Realtor. doh!

BTW, I thought the Flash #129 would have done better. I guess with a few of them arriving on the scene in the last year that will happen.

R.

That is a book that I will take a bath on. Of course you shouldn't buy silver age when it is the sole highest graded. In just two years time it has gone from just 2 9.4s to 3-9.6 and 5-9.4s. That will seriously depress the value of a book. I like the idea of multiple windows. I will give that a try the next time.

Jack, that was your copy that sold?

No. But I paid a lot more for my copy.

I think people should be consigning with caution right now, unless they've got top census ultra-HG SA Marvel. We're starting to hit the point of diminishing returns, in my mind. The JLAs I auctioned in February collectively had the most tepid results that I've experienced and definitely did not inspire me to consign more anytime soon.

This is very true. I was about to consign another 30 to 40 books for the May CL auction, but will hold off now. I'd rather list them on Ebay or the regular CL website at slighty discounted prices than risk having the books set GPA lows by 20%-30% in an auction format. I know the economy is bad but a non classic / HG book will still sell for a slight discount if given enough time to find a buyer.

If I'm understanding the mood of everyone's opinion about this topic . . . .

Prices are coming down because . . .

1. Declining Economy.

2. Too much supply by auction houses.

3. Quality of Items being auctioned are second tier.

4.) The wrong venue being used to sell certian books.

This is very true. I was about to consign another 30 to 40 books for the May CL auction, but will hold off now. I'd rather list them on Ebay or the regular CL website at slighty discounted prices than risk having the books set GPA lows by 20%-30% in an auction format. I know the economy is bad but a non classic / HG book will still sell for a slight discount if given enough time to find a buyer.

You could always offer them here first.... :wishluck:

If I'm understanding the mood of everyone's opinion about this topic . . . .

Prices are coming down because . . .

1. Declining Economy.

2. Too much supply by auction houses.

3. Quality of Items being auctioned are second tier.

With the last one, I think its part cause and effect. Since there are quality first tier items out there, second tier items get sacrificed to build up war chests. Consequently, more second tier items get dumped on a market that's already drowning in them. Though they used to get absorbed more easily, they aren't anymore, unless its in a no reserve auction.

And its in that format where we see how weak the market is really becoming for the less desireable material.

Also,

4.) The wrong venue being used to sell certian books.

For instance, I'm not going to make a profit selling snow shoes in the Bahamas! I think as others have mentioned, certain books need to be sold via Heritage auctions, others via CL or CC, and the remaining ones should be given time to find the right buyer via long listings on Ebay or these boards.

You could always offer them here first.... :wishluck:

(thumbs u

Tim,

A simple formula. The high bidder for Ducks the last few years now becomes the seller and the two underbidders from the last few years have a friendly chat and decide to split our purchases rather than beat each other up for them. I can say with a degree of certainty that you will not

1. See these books for sale again anytime soon

2. See prices that low again for Duck books

The only books I missed tonight were when I could not get back to the bidding screen in time to enter my bids

I know it's been talked about briefly already, but what do Duck people think about the price for the FC#9 7.5? It seems a little low but considering it's nowhere near highest graded, I'm not sure that it is so surprising in this environment. Any other thoughts?

I think its about right. With a 9.0 not meeting reserve at CC what more could you expect. This is a book that is not scarce by any method considering its age or importance.

Tim,

A simple formula. The high bidder for Ducks the last few years now becomes the seller and the two underbidders from the last few years have a friendly chat and decide to split our purchases rather than beat each other up for them. I can say with a degree of certainty that you will not

1. See these books for sale again anytime soon

2. See prices that low again for Duck books

The only books I missed tonight were when I could not get back to the bidding screen in time to enter my bids

it's interesting to me as well because as a Low grade collector, I have seen many many GD to VG examples over the last 4 months where Ducks have been selling stronger than ever. Both earlier WDCS & One shots. 2-5 times what the same books would have ended at a year ago. It always seems to me if the low grades are moving there is more "Ground floor" interest in the genre, which is a good sign.