• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darth Vader Actor David Prowse Treated for Prostate Cancer

5 posts in this topic

Darth Vader Actor David Prowse Treated for Prostate Cancer

David Prowse, who wore the famous black suit and helmet, rang Absolute Radio to raise money for the Royal Marsden Hospital.

He told them: "I'm involved with [the hospital] because I'm undergoing treatment for prostate cancer. I'm having my very last treatment this morning."

His agent Keith Bishop said: "We are pleased it has been caught in the early stages of treatment. He is hoping for a full recovery and making good progress."

Prowse, who is also well known for his Green Cross Code traffic safety adverts, said: "I've had two months' radiotherapy treatment at the Royal Marsden. It's the most fantastic hospital you could ever wish to go to."

"The only thing I've had is hot flushes and my wife tells me I'm going menopausal."

"Every man over the age of 50 should have a PSA test (a blood test for prostate cancer) and that just gives you some indication of whether you have prostate problems."

James Earl Jones provided the voice for Vader in the films, as Bristol-born Prowse's West Country accent was felt to be unsuitable for the part.

After Star Wars became a massive international hit in 1977, Prowse took his huge frame to the small screen as the Green Cross Code man, teaching youngsters to stop, look and listen before crossing the road in a long-running and popular TV campaign.

I know...

:sorry:

His agent Keith Bishop said: "We are pleased it has been caught in the early stages of treatment. He is hoping for a full recovery and making good progress."

Maybe it'll turn out good for him :wishluck:

I hope Prowse makes a full and speedy recovery. I met him years ago at a con and he was very nice, he posed for a pic with and signed a lobby card from "The Horror of Frankenstein" which Veronica Carlson also later signed. Still looking to get Kate O'Mara to sign it as well.