• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All I can say is... WOW

50 posts in this topic

David did you buy my #84 CGC 8.0 from Comiclink a couple of years ago?

If yours was the one that went for $2,188 then yeah I was the one who bought it. It was hard to stomach paying that much for the book at the time. I know a lot of people thought that I massively overpaid, including myself. In my mind JIM 84 is the hardest semi-key (second Thor) of all Marvels to find in high grade and one of the books I most desired. Still it was a whack of cash for the book at the time.

I am glad that I bought it at that price though as I have only seen two copies of it sell in high grade since then and both for considerably more than what I paid. Plus most of the high grade early Thor seem to be in private collections and rarely trade hands. It is a really tough book to find.

Hey Roy... I thought that 8.0 wasn't "high grade" :baiting:

In fact, there are about 20 threads that argued that point. If you want to bother to see my own thoughts on that, check my post in the "What makes a HG collector" thread.

That Hulk #2 in that grade is a high grade book.

Rich I agree with you. If you read my posts in the thread I counted 7.0/7.5 and up as high grade.

R.

If yours was the one that went for $2,188 then yeah I was the one who bought it. It was hard to stomach paying that much for the book at the time. I know a lot of people thought that I massively overpaid, including myself. In my mind JIM 84 is the hardest semi-key (second Thor) of all Marvels to find in high grade and one of the books I most desired. Still it was a whack of cash for the book at the time.

I am glad that I bought it at that price though as I have only seen two copies of it sell in high grade since then and both for considerably more than what I paid. Plus most of the high grade early Thor seem to be in private collections and rarely trade hands. It is a really tough book to find.

That sounds about right. I loved that book but had to sell it at the time. I agree...likely in the top 5 toughest SA Marvels to find in high grade and probably toughest semi key. Impossible book in 8.0 and up.

Now I need a copy.

:cry:

R.

In my comic tenure, H 1-6 ranks up there as impossible to find > 6.0, and, #2 being the hardest of the lot. First one I've seen in a long while...

Congrats from an oldie !!

In my comic tenure, H 1-6 ranks up there as impossible to find > 6.0, and, #2 being the hardest of the lot. First one I've seen in a long while...

Congrats from an oldie !!

Thanks. You are right those old Hulks are hard to find. With this pick up I am half done my Hulks. I've got 2, 4 and 6 in CGC 8.0 now. I can't even remember the last time I saw a high grade hulk 2 before this one. There are a couple 3's on ComicLink but the prices are too high.

I see you picked up a nice AF15. Congrats on that.

That sounds about right. I loved that book but had to sell it at the time. I agree...likely in the top 5 toughest SA Marvels to find in high grade and probably toughest semi key. Impossible book in 8.0 and up.

Now I need a copy.

:cry:

R.

Gives me an idea for a thread - "Top Ten Non-Key SA Books to Find in HG"

The problem is that I consider JIM 84, Hulk 2, B & B 29,30 etc. as Key Books anyway for their scarcity alone in VF or higher. I'll give it a shot. May be best suited for the Silver forum.

BTW, David... I've set a few price records in my time. Lovely book. Enjoy it.

Rich this has been discussed in detail in the past but I wouldn't know where to look.

I will say that among the earliest Marvels, JIM #84, 89 and 90 will be in the top 10. A little further down the list you'll find #87 and #91 and #95. Don't know why but those 6 books are just impossible to find above VF.

R.

The early JIM's are almost in a class by themselves.

There are some awful tough DC's out there (or not) as well. B & B 29 and 30 are really tough in HG, but you can get a 28 relatively easy. It also seems that Flash 106 is tougher than 105, but all ten-cent Flash are hard to find in grade.

And when you do find them... you'll pay a pretty penny.

Add to the list of non-first issues FF3, ST103, and JIM90.

Roy mentioned #90, but methinks 84 and 89 are a bit tougher.

What the heel would you know about it anyway, you probably have them all in HG bought straight from the rack. :baiting:

I want to visit that "museum" of yours one of these days. :grin: